TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I'm just going to leave this right here...

That's a good point, the noise from the compressed air system is and has always been a problem, and even though I'm not autistic myself it was really scary / startling being up close to that ride as a kid.

I'll be honest, though - if they are really removing it, I think that a Zamperla Air Race would be a great ride in that spot. It has the same 48" height restriction too, and it's quiet.

Edited by A.J.

That's a good point, the noise from the compressed air system is and has always been a problem, and even though I'm not autistic myself it was really scary / startling being up close to that ride as a kid.

I guess you didn't read the entire thread. I found it interesting how some people claim Autistic kids hate it and others claim Autistic kids love it.

I sort of roll my eyes when "Autism moms" will claim their kids have special issues from other kids when in reality, it's perfectly normal for some kids to like a ride and other kids to hate a ride. Some kids don't mind loud noises, some kids are okay with loud noises. I'm not sure their Autism really has anything to do with it, but they most certainly seem to want to draw attention to it as somehow the removal of the ride is some sort of "victory" for Autism moms.

I was happy to see other people with Autistic kids pointed out that they didn't mind the ride and in fact some of them actually loved it. It only just helps disprove the original posters ridiculous claim.

Edited by robbalvey

I was happy to see other people with Autistic kids pointed out that they didn't mind the ride and in fact some of them actually loved it. It only just helps disprove the original posters ridiculous claim.

Oh, yeah, I read the thread. I think it's a pretty great ride (and iconic at night) and I personally would be upset to see it leave permanently, but as someone who used to be deathly afraid of the noises that it made myself, I can understand the concerns of people who have children who can't handle it, autism or not.

Thankfully it's a trailer mount, so God forbid if people are vocal enough for it to become a problem, they can relocate it to a different area of the park. But, at this point, I'm not sure it's enough of a problem, considering all the children and families that love it.

I definitely agree with you that the removal of the ride shouldn't be some excuse to grandstand or consider it a victory. It's not like the ride is blatantly offensive to anyone or any silly thing like that. In the end, it's just a ride!

Well..different people with autism have very different problems and reactions to experiences, it's definitely not a one dimensional disorder like that, but...

"I absolutely hate to admit, I mean it's definitely really a secret, I wouldn't want anyone to know, but I just have to put it out here and hashtag it, is anyone paying attention to me yet?"

Some of the other comments are even dumber. "They should replace it with a river rapids ride" or "They should put Firehawk there!" Why not just go for a full on hypercoaster in the spot? How do these people manage day to day lives without any sort of basic spatial awareness at all?

I guess you didn't read the entire thread. I found it interesting how some people claim Autistic kids hate it and others claim Autistic kids love it.

I sort of roll my eyes when "Autism moms" will claim their kids have special issues from other kids when in reality, it's perfectly normal for some kids to like a ride and other kids to hate a ride. Some kids don't mind loud noises, some kids are okay with loud noises. I'm not sure their Autism really has anything to do with it, but they most certainly seem to want to draw attention to it as somehow the removal of the ride is some sort of "victory" for Autism moms.

I have a son with autism. I completely agree with everything you said here.

I’m sympathetic to their situation but the world is not going to bend over backwards for them, not should it. The ride operated for years without issue and the world didn’t end. It’s an amusement park. There are going to be loud things there.

PS: Since we’re highlighting asinine Facebook comments on that Downdraft post...

F0A96F1D-A21D-4F88-8F59-5826462283A5.thumb.jpeg.5a61eacabf8a7da2e2440a12a7fd7f76.jpeg

Yeah, the reason you’re not supposed to ride thrill rides while pregnant is because the bar might not close. No other reason...

Luckily you managed to jam yourself into the ride.

Some of the other comments are even dumber. "They should replace it with a river rapids ride" or "They should put Firehawk there!" Why not just go for a full on hypercoaster in the spot? How do these people manage day to day lives without any sort of basic spatial awareness at all?
PS: Since we’re highlighting asinine Facebook comments on that Downdraft post...

Yeah, that entire comment thread devolved quickly. My favorites are the ones where people think it should be replaced with Firehawk or a suspended looping coaster.

I'm just going to leave this right here....

[attachment=0]1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]3.jpg[/attachment]

I have mild Autism myself, and I don't run in the other direction when I'm around an S&S Space Shot, and those things can get loud. Thing is, both sides sort-of have a point. However, here's the catch... experience will make sound sensitivity almost non-existent. The root cause is "the lag effect" as some within the differently abled community may call it. It's where you get this weird and dizzy feeling along with slightly heightened sense from overstimulation, which is obviously the cause of some people's sensitivities to this ride. The ironic thing is that while some of us Autists hate the "lag" feeling, others (such as myself) actually seek that feeling for a "buzz", I guess you could call it. I love blasting loud music such as EDM or country (weird combination I know) for that reason. The solution is to tell them to at least get used to it... or maybe even teach them to get a good buzz off of the sounds of the ride. Sounds like good entertainment while waiting for the ride to me. Some of us can be snowflakes and I hate how they ruin our reputation. Now if you can excuse me, I'm gonna go "lag" and blast some country music immediately following this post.

Edit : Thought I should mention, this "lag" effect is one of the best parts of this hobby to me. A good roller coaster can really kick off a quality "lag"

I’m sympathetic to their situation but the world is not going to bend over backwards for them, not should it. The ride operated for years without issue and the world didn’t end. It’s an amusement park. There are going to be loud things there.

[attachment=0]F0A96F1D-A21D-4F88-8F59-5826462283A5.jpeg[/attachment]

Yeah, the reason you’re not supposed to ride thrill rides while pregnant is because the bar might not close. No other reason...

Luckily you managed to jam yourself into the ride.

Oh dear...if this doesn't scream backwoods Pennsyltucky mom's, I don't know what does! Spoiler alert, her kid probably has autism and can't go near the ride now!

F1E64684-8166-4E64-A1DE-3ACA0A0E6DF1.thumb.jpeg.e9ad6c44c0da7cc722d0a1e95f761605.jpeg

Put a fork in me. I’m done.

Oh dear...if this doesn't scream backwoods Pennsyltucky mom's, I don't know what does! Spoiler alert, her kid probably has autism and can't go near the ride now!

Oh yeah. If you told me I went to high school with these girls I wouldn’t bat an eye.

As someone who grew up in Pennsyltucky... This sort of, "oh, everything will be fine" happens more often than you'd think it should.

Well..different people with autism have very different problems and reactions to experiences, it's definitely not a one dimensional disorder
I have mild Autism myself, and I don't run in the other direction when I'm around an S&S Space Shot, and those things can get loud. Thing is, both sides sort-of have a point. However, here's the catch... experience will make sound sensitivity almost non-existent.

You both just described 100% of human behavior, Autism or not. Every single human goes through this. Of course kids are more sensitive to loud noises because they haven't been alive as long and aren't used to certain noises. Why do you think more kids are scared of fireworks earlier on in life and then get more used to them when they get older?

And all kids have varying degrees of this. Some don't mind it right at the start, some take a few more years to get used to them, etc.

I wish people would stop applying labels to things that literally EVERY SINGLE HUMAN experiences.

I'm happy Downdraft is going away because it isn't very good - the cycle lasts an eternity because it takes forever to stop, not because it does anything cool. Top Scan or Bust, IMO.

If Knoebels got a well-loved Top Scan and ran it the way it's supposed to be run, the enthusiast community would lose their minds. And their lunches.

I'm happy Downdraft is going away because it isn't very good - the cycle lasts an eternity because it takes forever to stop, not because it does anything cool. Top Scan or Bust, IMO.

If Knoebels got a well-loved Top Scan and ran it the way it's supposed to be run, the enthusiast community would lose their minds. And their lunches.

I agree with this. Top Scans are nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...