TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loops

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's got to be more than 6! I can think of more than 6....

Monty

GL

Turbine

Nagashima Spaland

Toshimaen

Hopi Hari

La Feria Chapultepec

Actually, wow...that's all I can think of that are operating.

--Robb "I've been on 6 out of the 7!" Alvey

Schwarzkopf shuttle loops are absolutely wonderful rides. Greezed Lightning at SFKK is Six Flags Great America's former Tidal Wave. That was the ride that got me interested in coasters, way back in 1982! I have also been on Montezoomas Revenge at Knotts Berry Farm, and it was a hoot too. Back in 1996, I visited Paramount's Great America, and at that time they still had their Tidal Wave (ours was removed in 1991 to make way for Batman in 1992. Great rides, they are, and there should be more.

I love Schwarzkopf Coaster's in general. I was really sad when PGA took theirs out. (they took it out to replace it with nothing ) But it's even sadder it's just rusting up in SFMW lot. Irks me to no end. I rode that coaster alot. First ride was in 77 I waited nearly 2hrs to ride. The last time I rode it you could walk on and reride almost all you wanted. Kind of sad too. Rode Knott's again this year, still a fun ride. I'm pretty sure these were the first shuttle coaster designs made too.

Dwskunks

I'm really glad that we have one of the best of the Schwarzkopf shuttles right here in Southern California---Montezooma's Revenge!

Personally, I've only been on this one and what was Tidal Wave at PGA. Without a doubt, the flywheel model, like MR, is far superior to the weight drop ones like Tidal Wave.

I hope Knott's continues to operate Montezooma's Revenge as long as they can. Even 28 years after it opened, it's still one of the best rides at Knott's.

I love Schwarzkopf Coaster's in general. I was really sad when PGA took theirs out. (they took it out to replace it with nothing ) But it's even sadder it's just rusting up in SFMW lot. Irks me to no end.

Bits and pieces of it are sitting up there still rusting away, but GL/TW has been picked over pretty heavy as spare parts for Kentucky Kingdom's Shuttle. So PGA's ride lives on, just in pieces on the other side of the country, (not to mention a few other funny places.)

Sean "Glad to be out from under all that water up here!" Menefee

A little off topic, but Screamscape says Kobe Portopialand is closing so that looks like another two Schwartzkopfs could be lost.

I rode King Kobra at PKD (old loop style, weight drop) back in 1981 and was just overwhelmed by the power and smoothness of this ride. Unfortunately I don't think management at most parks care about the historical significance or amazing quality of these rides; they're like used cars, throw em out and get a new one. We need someone like Dick Knoebel to pick up a few Schwartzkopfs; he'd preserve them for us.

I am also sad that Greazed Lightnin' is in pieces at SFMW. That was my first coaster I ever went on with a loop. I don't know how coaster buisness works to well but couldn't a coaster company like B&M or Intamin make duplicates of Schwartzkopfs shuttle loops? The only reason the Schwartzkopfs shuttle loops are disapearing is because it is so hard to find parts for them now so if B&M or Intamin made some shuttle loops there would be parts for them. It could be the new generation of Shuttle Loops. Also, I know Arrow made some shuttle loops but I don't like them as mush as Schwartzkopfs but how many Arrows are left?

* Lets keep our fingers crossed that the shuttle loop from Astroworld finds a new home!

^Yeah, reading this thread makes me happy that Viper is now located at my home park and still rarely has a wait.

That sucks for you though. I remember I was pretty disappointed when I heard it was being taken out of SFOG. I guess it worked out well though. It challenges Chang and Thunder Run for the best ride in the park on it's good days.

I can think of one more Schwarzkopf shuttle loop and thats Golden Loop

http://www.rcdb.com/id1168.htm

RCDB states the coaster to be SBNO, as it was going through maintenance. Checking the parks website in the past it did mentioned that this coaster was closed, but there website now states it be open

Robb, this coaster was once at PCW, so you mau if had it there

• 13 years later...

Bumping this up, to ask the question, how many of these are left and still running, now?

On page 1 Robb listed the seven he remembers....I realize I have been on five of them!

Actually six, since I did ride Tidal Wave (MsGA) in it's day.

Edited by Nrthwnd

That loop design in the most fun you could ever have in a loop, total perfection. Any bigger and you loose the force distribution. The tummy tickle is divine falling out of the loop backwards. Combine that with the most perfect steel coaster trains ever designed. All the bigger, faster, bad-assyer shuttle coasters are awesome, but none are as fun as the Schwarzkopf shuttle loops, ride after ride, year after year.

Bumping this up, to ask the question, how many of these are left and still running, now?

On page 1 Robb listed the seven he remembers....I realize I have been on five of them!

Actually six, since I did ride Tidal Wave (MsGA) in it's day.

There are currently 6 operating, according to RCDB. Four flywheel versions and two weight drop versions.

Flywheel:

Montezooma's Revenge

Shuttle Loop (Nagashima Spa Land)

Cascabel 2.0 (La Feria, Mexico)

Psyche Underground (Walibi Belgium), which has since been refurbished with an LSM system from Gerstlauer

Weight Drop:

Golden Loop (Gold Reef City, South Africa)

Katapul (Hopi Hari, Brazil) - but isn't Hopi Hari struggling a ton? Anyone know if this one is *really* operating?

I do love these rides. Granted, I've only done Monte, but given the POVs from the others, Monte appears to travel the farthest up the rear spike, which is my favorite part of the ride. I hope Knott's keeps this coaster for many more years. It's the last one in the US, very iconic, and barely takes up space.

^That back spike on Montezuma’s is pure bliss. I LOVED the themed update they did to Psyche Underground—super fun—but I do wish the station brakes wouldn’t clamp so hard as you’re passing through backwards.