Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1304 - Catwoman Whip Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby SteveStL » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:25 pm

Got an update on Xcalibur, any word on Tidal Wave? staying or going???

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby toomuchstereo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:22 pm

SteveStL wrote:Got an update on Xcalibur, any word on Tidal Wave? staying or going???

That’s the sort of thing that is not my place to say. And it’s still up to corporate regarding its future.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Emily and I went to the park last night. I haven't been to a Fright Fest in probably over ten years. I don't understand what everyone is bitching about. I thought the decorations were great. Our two points of reference are Kings Island's Haunt and Scarowinds, which are both awesome. FF wasn't on the level with those two parks, but their season passes aren't $50 a year and you don't need a skip the line pass to ride more than three rides on Friday night.

The fog, lights, and decorations near The Palace Theater was really concentrated and it seemed to fan out from there. Since the park is small, I noticed less areas where it felt like the park wasn't themed. The loud "bumping" music from different areas in the park gives an impression of an amped up atmosphere throughout. The scare actor ratio seemed OK compared to what KI and Carowinds have.

I go for the scenery. I'm in my mid 30's and can't understand why grown ups would be scared. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I just don't get it. I guess it's a little fun to be a little apprehensive about someone startling you, but I think there are enough props, enough of a crowd, and enough actors to make you keep your guard up. It could just be me. I feel like a douche throwing it out there and I hate to be that guy mentioning it, but I deal with enough life and death bullshit that a teenager in a mask does nothing for me. It probably just numbs the haunt experience (and life...) for me.

However, and it's a big however, we did not do any haunted houses. We only stayed at the park for about two hours and I didn't know about the pricing. I think we saw that an all season haunted house pass was around $50? Seriously... where are the complaints? Budget park. Maybe they suck. I don't know.

Here are a few things I noticed:
*All of the classic lights had been replaced with deep glow flame lights, which was awesome.
*Fog everywhere!
*The troll walk through was great and an actor actually startled the crap out of Emily. (maybe she gets it?)
*The projector lights look great through the fog.
*Again with the music, despite some areas still playing typical pop music?
*Outside of areas around Batman and near Screamin' Eagle, everything seemed very condensed and the atmosphere was consistent. Budget.
*Again, The Palace and the front entrance looked really cool.

And the winner is: The Blood Bank! That place was freaking cool. We didn't see the cheesy (I'm sure) show that takes place in there, but the seating and warm area is really neat. The bartenders were friendly and a cut above any amusement park bartenders. They didn't spend several minutes examining my Driver's License and they seemed to know what they were doing. Emily mentioned how neat the blood bags were and the bartender was really enthusiastic and encouraged her to try one. I let her know that Emily isn't allowed to drink for another 6 months. (I put a baby girl up in there.)

I got a walk-on sunset ride on the best ride in Missouri, which of course is screaming eagle. I got a station wait night ride on The Boss. We rode the 30 second spooky car ride. We waited 15-20 minutes for JL. Two Skull Mug beers for me. We watched the show at The Palace for our maximum tolerable time limit on cheesy non-animal theme park shows (5 min).

I'll be back for HITP!

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:08 pm

prozach626 wrote:I go for the scenery. I'm in my mid 30's and can't understand why grown ups would be scared. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I just don't get it. I guess it's a little fun to be a little apprehensive about someone startling you, but I think there are enough props, enough of a crowd, and enough actors to make you keep your guard up. It could just be me. I feel like a douche throwing it out there and I hate to be that guy mentioning it, but I deal with enough life and death bullshit that a teenager in a mask does nothing for me. It probably just numbs the haunt experience (and life...) for me.

I couldn't have said this better myself, being in the same line of work. It boggles my mind how any grown adult, or even HS or College student, could be legitimately scared by anything that occurs at a Six Flags or Cedar Fair Halloween event. I too enjoy them for the artistry of it all.

Now, some of the intense haunts (like that one in Spain described in the TR or some of the nuttier ones in PA), where people are touching you, restraining you, throwing stuff on you...I can see how that could cause some psychological trauma. But kids in face paint, masks, and sparking sliders? LOL.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:21 am

Mike240SX wrote:
prozach626 wrote:I go for the scenery. I'm in my mid 30's and can't understand why grown ups would be scared. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I just don't get it. I guess it's a little fun to be a little apprehensive about someone startling you, but I think there are enough props, enough of a crowd, and enough actors to make you keep your guard up. It could just be me. I feel like a douche throwing it out there and I hate to be that guy mentioning it, but I deal with enough life and death bullshit that a teenager in a mask does nothing for me. It probably just numbs the haunt experience (and life...) for me.

I couldn't have said this better myself, being in the same line of work. It boggles my mind how any grown adult, or even HS or College student, could be legitimately scared by anything that occurs at a Six Flags or Cedar Fair Halloween event. I too enjoy them for the artistry of it all.

Now, some of the intense haunts (like that one in Spain described in the TR or some of the nuttier ones in PA), where people are touching you, restraining you, throwing stuff on you...I can see how that could cause some psychological trauma. But kids in face paint, masks, and sparking sliders? LOL.

I've spent some time working at Cedar Fair haunts, standalone no-contact haunts, and some contact haunts. There is no question that even the actors prefer the contact haunts. You almost feel restrained working at a contactless haunt vs a contact haunt. Which is even worse while at a Theme Park Haunt.

And while going through contact haunts, it just feels so much more personal than other haunts, especially when going through conga-line style. Conga lines suck for everyone.
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Valleyfair

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby teacherkim » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:02 pm

Zach ....glad you enjoyed the atmosphere at the park. I've come to appreciate it more. We too have been to Scarowinds and thought it was awesome. A few weeks ago we went to HHN at Universal and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I mean it was still a fun weekend in Orlando and the props/decorations and number of scare actors was top notch..........BUT, having to go through the houses conga line style and the huge number of non scare staff really diminished the experience for me. (I get why they do it, but it kinda sucked) Also, the loud techno pop music versus some good creepy Halloween music was not a favorite of mine either. Like you, I'm never really scared other than some momentary jump scares (I'm not in law enforcement but I have taught 7th grade for 27 years, I don't get rattled too easily, lol) but really enjoy a good atmosphere and that's where I think HHN fell short.

Congrats on the baby! Fair warning, if you think the behavior of people bothers you now, just wait until you have to spend time with other parents in the kid's rides area at an amusement park and watch how badly some of those parents will behave. :lmao:

Oh and good thing you got a ride in on the Boss. The ride op that lives in my house informs me it did not open on Sat night and it's open days for the season are numbered due to temps.

Postby jynx242 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:17 am

Zach - awesome report as always! Congratulations on the baby!! I'm excited for you guys.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby jrkstl » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:12 am

I let her know that Emily isn't allowed to drink for another 6 months. (I put a baby girl up in there.)

Congrats Zach!

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby toomuchstereo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:37 am

Nice view of the changing leaves.
FFE5C285-C416-45DC-9A45-82E097B4DF01.jpeg

Postby prozach626 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:22 pm

^^ Nice shot

Also, thanks guys. Life's changing already. Our immediate family knows, but we're going to put something on Facebook to announce it to our friends and other family members on.... Halloween. Not because we're big fans of Halloween, but because it's scary as ffck for humanity that we're going to reproduce. That's one of the last days of the first trimester, so I figure we're safe to make the announcement. We took a picture of Emily pointing at the no pregnant riders sign to put on Facebook. This is going to be out "one and done" child experience.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!