Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1195 - Supergirl (Zamperla Endeavour) announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 18 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby LegendLover » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:43 pm

I remember the year American Thunder opened. I was still too short to ride. I had to wait until 2009 to ride it. It is a blast to ride.

Does anybody know of any rumors with meat to them for 2020?

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby jamesk25 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 pm

LegendLover wrote:I remember the year American Thunder opened. I was still too short to ride. I had to wait until 2009 to ride it. It is a blast to ride.

Does anybody know of any rumors with meat to them for 2020?

I remember the year it was being built and my first ride after, as that was the first time I had been to Six Flags and the Fright Fest the following year.

As for rumors no, the most we know is we are getting a ride, most likely a flat since they are supposedly keeping Tidal Wave. Were it will go, I have no clue, no one hasn't talked or seen any site prep besides the work on Tidal Wave. All we can do is speculate, and hope for the best.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby bachir » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:47 am

Generally positive review of SFStL from vlogger Theme Park Worldwide. Since they go all over the world and see the best of the best, I thought they would be more critical. Anyway, passing along b/c I think this may be the only video trip report of SFStL, clocking in at over an hour. (Not sure if we can link to another website so I held off)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:43 am

I'm really late to the game on the long conversations taking place. I was on a 9 day trip to Philadelphia, SFGadv, NYC, Toronto, and Canada's Wonderland. (shameless brag)

As far as the brief tourbillion mentioning goes, I hope that's not the case. I saw one operate at SFGadv. I wanted to take a look, since it seemed like such a cool concept that I thought would provide great visuals. Emily and I sat there for at least five minutes waiting for the ride to cycle. The operators, despite being typical unmotivated operators, seemed to have a lot of complications when loading. I'm not sure why. Once the ride did cycle it wasn't that entertaining to watch. I heard no screams, no laughter, and none of the typical howls of excitement. When the ride stopped, a very short time later, most looked dizzy or bored. Seriously. An endeavor is more entertaining to watch and from all of the usual guest howls, it seems much more fun.

It's good to hear Tidal Wave is coming back. Given what seems to be SF's recent business strategy I'm sure we'll get something. I can only wish that whatever we get comes with some refurbishment of the general area it's in.

On another note, Emily and I still need to get to the park this year. Due to several factors I'm not sure that will happen.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:57 pm

^ Yea, the more I think about it, the more I consider the Tourbillions to be a bit of a failed experiment. They're certainly interesting concepts and are eye-catching, but combine a difficult loading process with neutered Six Flags operation cycles, and you get disappointment. When observing the crowds at Great Adventure, Wonder Woman seemed to be an instant hit, while Cyborg is nearly always a ghost town.

If I were you guys, I wouldn't hope for a Tourbillion.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby bert425 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:01 pm

I liked Harley Quinn at SFOT, but in my multiple rides, the only times I really enjoyed it was when sitting at the end of the row - so I was getting "leg chopper" effects at every spin.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby toomuchstereo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:29 pm

It’s not a tourbillon for 2020. I don’t think that ride has been a smash hit elsewhere.

Postby Vonni » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:12 pm

If a tourbillion ran like in the animation videos, it might be more popular. I don't understand why SF doesn't want it ran at its best.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby TNT » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Vonni wrote:If a tourbillion ran like in the animation videos, it might be more popular. I don't understand why SF doesn't want it ran at its best.
First, it was an animation.

Second, ABC changed the design of the Tourbillion between the prototype and the construction of the models Six Flags purchased. The original ran using hydraulic motors to move the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings of the ride. This gave the prototype more torque allowing it to flip more like the animation. The ones Six Flags purchased use 3 phase motors which have less torque which prevents the ride from flipping as easily.

Postby prozach626 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:29 am

Seriously, it looked terrible. The expressionless faces of the riders after the cycle finished was hilarious. There wasn't even a full cycle wait in the queue. On top of that, there were a few rows of sun exposed permanent spectator benches set up in front of the ride with not a single person sitting in them. I really hope we don't get one. I'm curious if Six Flags is satisfied with the outcome.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!