Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1304 - Catwoman Whip Coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 24 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby TNT » Sat May 25, 2019 3:27 am

ChrisGraslie wrote:
prozach626 wrote:Wow, Chris. You're the first one to talk shit on how poorly you think the ride area looks, but coincidentally you're also the first person to know when it opens. I'm certain you'll make sure not to ride it since you hate the themeing so much.

I mean it's not really a "coincidence", I just pay attention. And it's not like I'm the only person that has this opinion :lmao:

Pretty sure he is being sarcastic since you posted the wrong opening date on here. Coincidentally on your "insider" page and reddit you posted the membership preview date wrong as well.

I'm willing to bet money that very few Guest Satisfaction Surveys complain about the continuity of theming at the park and I'm willing to bet very few people will mention Supergirl not fitting the Britannia theme in future surveys. This is the same area of the park that has a random go kart track, a spinning coaster themed to skateboards, and roller coaster who's entrance theming matches the area but the name does not. I don't know about anyone else but when I think of Britannia I think of Knights, Kings, and Queens, not a big bad Boss.

ChrisGraslie wrote:
TexasParkman wrote:That being said- I am not a fan of the way SFSTL places their attractions.. The idea behind themes or lands is almost destroyed at this park. This was NOT what Randall Duell had in mind. Of course, I grew up at this park so I may be biased.

No, you're right. This isn't what Randall Duell or Angus Wynne had in mind. The "theming doesn't matter at Six Flags" talking point is just noise. Let me remind you what the name "Six Flags" means again?

Your right, Angus Wynne would be disappointed since his company ceased to exist in 1998 when it was bought out by Premier Parks. The current Six Flags is the original Premier Parks just with the Six Flags name. The current Premier Parks didn't come to fruition until 2009.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ChrisGraslie » Sat May 25, 2019 6:21 am

TNT wrote: Pretty sure he is being sarcastic since you posted the wrong opening date on here. Coincidentally on your "insider" page and reddit you posted the membership preview date wrong as well.

Also a coincidence is that Six Flags posted the wrong date for member preview and opening on their Facebook page, and I just ran with it assuming it was correct. I didn't even know the right date until before I posted about it on this forum, when I had (like a dumbass) still posted the wrong date because it was in my head still. I'll admit, that's on me.

TNT wrote:I'm willing to bet money that very few Guest Satisfaction Surveys complain about the continuity of theming at the park and I'm willing to bet very few people will mention Supergirl not fitting the Britannia theme in future surveys. This is the same area of the park that has a random go kart track, a spinning coaster themed to skateboards, and roller coaster who's entrance theming matches the area but the name does not. I don't know about anyone else but when I think of Britannia I think of Knights, Kings, and Queens, not a big bad Boss.

Funny, one of your coworkers told me the exact same thing about the park's GSS score and how that apparently makes my argument invalid. She also keeps trying to tell me to be "more positive" about the park on an unaffiliated fan/news page. She also, like you, apparently thinks I never shut up about Supergirl despite the fact that I posted about the the ride and its theming on my page a whopping two times since it was announced in August.

The Speed O'Drome actually did have a purpose and a backstory, as silly and shoehorned is as it was. Then with The Boss they almost retroactively tried to tie it in, and now they just don't even try, hence why it bothers me.
TNT wrote:Your right, Angus Wynne would be disappointed since his company ceased to exist in 1998 when it was bought out by Premier Parks. The current Six Flags is the original Premier Parks just with the Six Flags name. The current Premier Parks didn't come to fruition until 2009.

When Time Warner sold Six Flags to Premier, they specifically wanted them to retain and maintain the existing parks as well as convert some of Premier's existing properties into Six Flags parks, so that the company's legacy would live on. I don't think they ever intended for Premier AKA Six Flags to just say "screw it" and go against what had been established, otherwise they would have never sold the company to them. Kieran Burke and Gary Story wanted Six Flags to be all about roller coasters and thrill rides and were ignorant to mostly everything else, and so here we are.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat May 25, 2019 12:55 pm

You act like this park under original Six Flags and Warner Bros. didn't do things like put the Moon Cars and Log Flume in the Spain section, you know, themed for Spain's burgeoning automotive and timber industries.

Look, if people were telling the park they wanted highly themed areas, they'd do it. The guests are saying we don't really care about it, so the park doesn't really care about it. I'd say that meets the definition of being responsive to guest concerns.

Postby ChrisGraslie » Sat May 25, 2019 1:31 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:You act like this park under original Six Flags and Warner Bros. didn't do things like put the Moon Cars and Log Flume in the Spain section, you know, themed for Spain's burgeoning automotive and timber industries.

Look, if people were telling the park they wanted highly themed areas, they'd do it. The guests are saying we don't really care about it, so the park doesn't really care about it. I'd say that meets the definition of being responsive to guest concerns.

The moon cars were actually part of the Missouri section if I remember correctly, but you've got a point with the log flume. I mean they weren't going for 100% historical accuracy, but it was still cool because Angus Wynne wanted you to feel like you'd stepped into another part of the world that you've never been to before. If guests don't want that now, then so be it. But that's a shame.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:20 pm

ChrisGraslie wrote:When Time Warner sold Six Flags to Premier, they specifically wanted them to retain and maintain the existing parks as well as convert some of Premier's existing properties into Six Flags parks, so that the company's legacy would live on. I don't think they ever intended for Premier AKA Six Flags to just say "screw it" and go against what had been established, otherwise they would have never sold the company to them. Kieran Burke and Gary Story wanted Six Flags to be all about roller coasters and thrill rides and were ignorant to mostly everything else, and so here we are.

Dollars and cents. Don't be naive.

Your posts about the themeing have no cause. You're just bitching about what everyone else already knows and you refuse to accept the way things are and focus on the positive. Everyone has a right to complain, but you're just ranting. It serves no purpose.

Postby TNT » Sat May 25, 2019 2:50 pm

ChrisGraslie wrote:Also a coincidence is that Six Flags posted the wrong date for member preview and opening on their Facebook page, and I just ran with it assuming it was correct. I didn't even know the right date until before I posted about it on this forum, when I had (like a dumbass) still posted the wrong date because it was in my head still. I'll admit, that's on me.

I doubt they posted the wrong date but, whatever makes you feel better about it.

ChrisGraslie wrote:Funny, one of your coworkers told me the exact same thing about the park's GSS score and how that apparently makes my argument invalid. She also keeps trying to tell me to be "more positive" about the park on an unaffiliated fan/news page. She also, like you, apparently thinks I never shut up about Supergirl despite the fact that I posted about the the ride and its theming on my page a whopping two times since it was announced in August.

I'm currently no longer employed at the park as my full time job more or less got in the way. See prozach's response.

ChrisGraslie wrote:The Speed O'Drome actually did have a purpose and a backstory, as silly and shoehorned is as it was.

Most ridiculous thing you have said so far. Backstory for the go karts, Person 1 "Hey lets build a go kart track" Person 2 "Where" Person 1 "Right over younder by the Dragon's Wing" Person 2 "That is an excellent idea" Person 1"I know. That is why I'm Person 1 in this backstory and your Person 2" End

ChrisGraslie wrote:When Time Warner sold Six Flags to Premier, they specifically wanted them to retain and maintain the existing parks as well as convert some of Premier's existing properties into Six Flags parks, so that the company's legacy would live on. I don't think they ever intended for Premier AKA Six Flags to just say "screw it" and go against what had been established, otherwise they would have never sold the company to them. Kieran Burke and Gary Story wanted Six Flags to be all about roller coasters and thrill rides and were ignorant to mostly everything else, and so here we are.

Time Warner could have cared less about what happened to the Six Flags brand after they sold it since it was sold to reduce debt. Premier began using the Six Flags name because they understood the value of a brand. The Six Flags brand was already well established at this point and Premier wouldn't have grown to the size that it did or the size it is today if they would have scrapped the Six Flags name or didn't use it as much as they have. It had nothing to do with keeping a legacy alive and all to do with making money, that's how business works.

Oh, and don't bother posting the results of the survey you just put up on Instagram on here. You have maybe 25 active followers vs a Guest Satisfaction Survey that has thousands of peoples opinions. Your not going to prove any point with that small of a sample size.
Last edited by TNT on Sat May 25, 2019 3:05 pm.

Postby TNT » Sat May 25, 2019 3:02 pm

double post

Postby ChrisGraslie » Sat May 25, 2019 3:59 pm

prozach626 wrote:Dollars and cents. Don't be naive.

Your posts about the themeing have no cause. You're just bitching about what everyone else already knows and you refuse to accept the way things are and focus on the positive. Everyone has a right to complain, but you're just ranting. It serves no purpose.

I mean I'm really just trying to have a conversation about it. Just because it's been talked about before doesn't mean I can't talk about it? I get that it seems bitchy, (sorry) but it's something that not only I care about. That being said, I know I'm in the minority. I actually do appreciate a lot of what the park does, and I apologize for not talking about those aspects.
TNT wrote:Oh, and don't bother posting the results of the survey you just put up on Instagram on here. You have maybe 25 active followers vs a Guest Satisfaction Survey that has thousands of peoples opinions. Your not going to prove any point with that small of a sample size.

I wasn't planning on it. I do surveys like that all the time. And 25 active followers? You clearly haven't been following me for that long. I don't know why you keep mentioning my page though, it's really besides the point.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Sat May 25, 2019 7:03 pm

I don’t think anyone likes the way Six Flags does theming, but you are just beating a dead horse here.

What I was told by a manager at the park is the reason Supergirl’s placement is two-fold. Getting a new attraction is the only way to get funds from cooperate to improve an area of the park. Sucks that they “improved” it like so, but the real smoking gun here is actually DC. They are extremely controlling on how their intellectual property is represented in the parks: down to the colors for the area, the overall appearance, and even wether or not an “‘s” can be used after the name in possessive cases (See: Riddler’s Revenge vs Riddler Revenge). What’s worse is that their standards change so frequently that the JL area of the park is already out of code, and so to have installed a new DC ride would have meant major detail changes in the area.

Postby ChrisGraslie » Sat May 25, 2019 7:08 pm

RollerManic wrote:I don’t think anyone likes the way Six Flags does theming, but you are just beating a dead horse here.

What I was told by a manager at the park is the reason Supergirl’s placement is two-fold. Getting a new attraction is the only way to get funds from cooperate to improve an area of the park. Sucks that they “improved” it like so, but the real smoking gun here is actually DC. They are extremely controlling on how their intellectual property is represented in the parks: down to the colors for the area, the overall appearance, and even wether or not an “‘s” can be used after the name in possessive cases (See: Riddler’s Revenge vs Riddler Revenge). What’s worse is that their standards change so frequently that the JL area of the park is already out of code, and so to have installed a new DC ride would have meant major detail changes in the area.

I knew that DC was very strict with their IP, but that's ridiculous. DC was also the reason why they stopped doing super hero meet and greets regularly, because they wanted to approve their own actors to fit the roles. They even fly the actors out to the parks just to make appearances. I don't remember if that's been discussed here before. So that Supergirl that was at the park today is likely the same one they used for the Justice League opening ceremonies.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!