Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1195 - Supergirl (Zamperla Endeavour) announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:11 am

theymitbgi wrote: Look at Forest Park alone, world class zoo, great art museum, science center, history museum, the Muny, professional Sports(Blues and Cardinals), The Arch, Shaw's Garden, Brewery Tour, Grant's Farm, City Museum and so much more.

You forgot to mention riots.

I'd say the only real draws for travelers out of what you mentioned would be Cardinals Baseball and The St. Louis Arch. No one from outside of the region comes to St. Louis as strictly a tourist. Six Flags St. Louis building a hyper coaster or B&M looper sure isn't going to bring anyone else in.

Bottom line after all of the conversation: We're not getting sh*t but small additions. Learn to appreciate them.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 am

prozach626 wrote:You forgot to mention riots.

Yuuuuuup. This is what we're known for now. The first thing that pops into people's heads when they think of St. Louis isn't the art museum. It's Ferguson.

Now, we know that isn't fair, but we're not making the decision on whether to vacation in St. Louis. The people who can make such a decision...choose to go somewhere else. It's ok, no one goes to Cleveland or Detroit either. St. Louis is a good city, and not especially dangerous overall, but no matter how much you tell people that, they still say, "Eh, I'd rather go to Chicago, or Branson, or Pigeon Forge." And they can do that, it's their time and money.

Always a bunch of whining in this thread when we don't get anything fancy, while Branson and Holiday World build cooler stuff. It's all about where people want to be and where they're willing to spend money.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby teacherkim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:15 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:^ It's not ridiculous man. People don't vacation in St. Louis. It's just not a thing. Yes, we have a lot to offer, and a lot of it is free too. IMO only the Smithsonian offers more for free than Forest Park does. But people aren't coming, and listing attractions just doesn't counter that argument.

Exactly. And most people don't make their travel plans based on the amusement park nearby. They go to the amusement park nearby to where they want to travel. The exception probably being Orlando.
Last edited by teacherkim on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:20 am.

Postby teacherkim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 am

I travel a lot and have been asked about Ferguson many times. Sadly, it's become a thing St Louis is known for. An attraction like the Arch tends to be something people stop at as they drive through. Maybe instead of expecting/depending on Six Flags to draw int tourists the city should be engaging in a little more overall self promotion as a place to spend some vacation time. Unfortunately, I think our proximity to Chicago hurts us greatly as people will choose that if given the option.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby SteveStL » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:11 am

Cincinnati has had their share of PR issues as well. just saying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_riots_of_2001

Postby SteveStL » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:20 am

teacherkim wrote:
SteveStL wrote:If You Build It, They Will Come!
...Just ask Holiday World (in the middle of nowhere, Indiana)

Yeah, but that is a bit of a misnomer. It is actually a day trip from St. Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, Paducah, Nashville and a few other places that I haven't thought of off the top of my head. All relatively small markets but together .......

So they Built one of the best Waterpark in the Country (and a few excellent coasters) and the People came.

Postby teacherkim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 am

Yeah but again Cincinnati is a day trip to a much larger population than St Louis, we are just a little too far west. Anyway, we could discuss the whys and hows
all day but again the fact remains that St Louis is just not a destination city; even if it should be, no matter how much we wish it were.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:22 am

I would like to point out that Six Flags is also not IN St. Louis. It's at least a half-hour drive from Forest Park to Eureka, and St. Louis doesn't have the excellent mass transit system that, say, Chicago does. I've been to STL, Chicago, Branson... St. Louis is a local destination city; if you live within a 3hr radius, you probably will go there at least once in your life to go see the Arch, etc. And all that is within the heart of STL; Six Flags is a bit of drive away from there. SDC, on the other hand, is maybe a 10-15min drive from Branson, depending on the time of year (SDC traffic can get REALLY bad sometimes). And Chicago... well, everything can be reached without ever driving a car - bus, train, walking...

So, yeah, St. Louis may be something interesting to folks who live within a decent drive of it, but outside of there... well, let's just say that some of the FL and CA based Youtubers I follow have made the trip to Branson/SDC but not to STL/SF.

Postby prozach626 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 pm

prozach626 wrote:Bottom line after all of the conversation: We're not getting sh*t but small additions. Learn to appreciate them.

Postby SteveStL » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:35 pm

prozach626 wrote:
prozach626 wrote:Bottom line after all of the conversation: We're not getting sh*t but small additions. Learn to appreciate them.

I wasn't thru bitching ... Buzzkill! :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!