Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 1009 - Aquaman Water Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:51 am

That's terrible! I hope they can fix it! I really enjoyed it while I visited this park in 2016. :(
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re:

Postby slammy69 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:14 am

Sportsdude360 wrote:BREAKING NEWS!!!

Yosemite Sam's Gold River Adventure dark ride may be closed for good! The website http://www.overtexasthrills.com is reporting that the park's classic dark ride suffered extensive damage in the recent floods. So much so that it may never open again. Reports of extensive damage to both animatronics and set pieces caused when flood waters raised the boats off their flume. The boats then floated into the ride's various set pieces and animatronic figures causing wide spread damage which may be irreparable.

http://www.overtexasthrills.com/park-updates/six-flags-over-texas-general-park-update-november-7-2018?fbclid=IwAR2BCVjlUDDzozN1Jdavj0HhkXpciE_DTfL9WniktggLmdH4DWF6MlfMrx0

Perfect timing to bring back Spee-Lunkers Cave! Strike while the iron's hot.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:24 pm

While I haven't ridden Yosemite Sam's since August, so my memory might be fuzzy. I don't recall any sets that were so elaborate they can not be replaced. I really enjoyed the ride as a change of pace, but "elaborate sets don't can't be replaced"
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:42 am

I hope the management team takes a look at what SFFT is doing to their old Scooby dark ride. With the flooding and damage, now is the time to refresh it. Take a year if they need to and open it in 2020. Would be a bummer to lose a dark ride especially when they probably replace it with a dumb carnival flat ride.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:53 am

larrygator wrote:While I haven't ridden Yosemite Sam's since August, so my memory might be fuzzy. I don't recall any sets that were so elaborate they can not be replaced. I really enjoyed the ride as a change of pace, but "elaborate sets don't can't be replaced"

There's a reasonable amount of rock work in there and some simple figures that move. That stuff still isn't super cheap to redo, especially if the boats are almost totaled out.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby bigboy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 am

I can’t see how the boats would be beyond repair. They’re fiberglass and already sit in the water all of the time and sit out in the parking lot in the off-season. Even if they floated out of the trough I can’t see what kind of irreparable damage would happen.

The ride was in pretty bad shape when I rode 2 years ago. Holes in set pieces, animatronics not working or making loud noises when they moved, animatronics greatly deteriorated - one had its nose worn off and a Bugs was holding a carrot that was falling apart. If the flooding did further damage, it might be a convenient excuse to forgo a major renovation and start over from scratch.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:06 pm

bigboy wrote:The ride was in pretty bad shape when I rode 2 years ago. Holes in set pieces, animatronics not working or making loud noises when they moved, animatronics greatly deteriorated - one had its nose worn off and a Bugs was holding a carrot that was falling apart. If the flooding did further damage, it might be a convenient excuse to forgo a major renovation and start over from scratch.

This is it exactly. Parks these days hate anything they have to spend resources maintaining outside of the ride itself. I don't know why they don't see the value in it. Animatronics can be annoyingly finicky, but it's not a huge deal if some of them are occasionally not working. It's clear when they aren't putting much effort at all into it though.

They'll probably try to turn it into one of the cheap Sally dark rides with the plastic guns and the cardboard cutouts that barely move. Then they'll let even that get run-down...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Six flags over Texas was the subject of a question on Jeopardy tonight. The answer was "this theme park in Texas has a ride called Harley Quinn spinsanity".

I felt like a true coaster geek knowing this. :b
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Good thing they qualified it with "in Texas" otherwise there would've been multiple correct answers LOL. :lmao:
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby dsjim11 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Any updates on Yosemite Sam Ride? Thats terrible that one of the classic attractions is beyond repair. Maybe its a blessing in disguise.

I really wish they would go back to more of the original themeing of the park sections. Seems like DC Comics is absorbing the park, so to speak, beyond its original glory. I still miss the old covered walkway near where the USA car ride was.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!