Silverwood Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Silverwood Discussion Thread

Postby Comeagain? » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:49 am

Aftershock requires it to be around 65° to run. They've gotten it running down to above 55°, but only if there's no wind and it can cycle consistently.

Because it's nowhere near that warm at 7pm in October here, the park doesn't even try. Instead they use that time to get a head start on annual maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Gearhart » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:51 am

Aftershock was open last time I went to Scarywood in 2014. It was an awesome ride in the dark, but not quite Tremors or Timber Terror backwards good. Those two rides are nuts. I need to get back, their haunt event was one of the better ones I've been to.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:53 am

That's strange. Six Flags (who's notorious for never closing rides due to temperature) actually does have a limit for Goliath but it's 40 degrees (and it was the same way with the old train). I wonder why there's such a huge difference between the 2 rides.

Silverwood Discussion Thread

Postby Comeagain? » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:03 am

I don't know why there's a difference. But I do know that when it's right around its limit it creeps through the cobra roll on the return trip, and it's not fun to watch. The park is very cautious about it though, because we don't have the evac platform on the cobra roll, so it not completing the cycle is a big deal.

It also causes problems when it reaches the lift on tower 2 when it's going that slow.

To my knowledge, they haven't ever opened it during Scarywood, at least in the past 4 years.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:27 am

Actually you may have just hit on it. Six Flags does have an evac platform in the Cobra Roll so I guess there's less risk in them running it in lower temperatures.

Strangely though it looks like the Silverwood ride had one at Great America. I wonder why it doesn't have one now.

Postby Comeagain? » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:30 am

Because it's ugly. And it hasn't been needed at Silverwood. If they needed it, it is on site.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Gearhart » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:31 am

Comeagain? wrote:To my knowledge, they haven't ever opened it during Scarywood, at least in the past 4 years.

Maybe you're right and I'm getting my visits mixed up. All I know is it is awesome at night if given the chance to ride it then and when I went to Scarywood it was actually fairly warm for October. Got a bit chilly on the Zombiewood Express though.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:51 am

Damn, no wonder they're overly cautious. If that thing ever gets stuck up there (which Boomerangs love to do) without an evacuation platform it'll make national news. If they get wind of the fact that they had an evacuation platform and it wasn't put up because it was ugly then they'll be facing a complete media sh*tstorm.

I mean, we know it's not a safety issue, but wow that's ballsy. Silverwood knows way more about the ride than I do so they're obviously pretty confident that it won't happen but damn.

Also assuming they could run it in colder temperatures if the platform was there (and who knows if that's even the case... maybe there are other factors at play) I'm surprised they wouldn't rather put it up and run the ride during the busy Haunt season.

Postby Comeagain? » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:00 am

I actually have no idea why they don't have it up. "It's ugly" is just a rumor from people not known for being particularly reliable. For all I know it was shipped up here damaged and wasn't safe to put up at the time.

I'd guess that people aren't necessarily not going to Scarywood because Aftershock is closed, so the expense to put it up isn't really worth it for that.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:44 pm

Comeagain? wrote:Because it's ugly. And it hasn't been needed at Silverwood. If they needed it, it is on site.

Silverwood easily has better reliability with their GIB than any Six Flags park ever had.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!