Efteling Discussion Thread

P. 178: Carnaval Festival rehab is done
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Efteling Discussion Thread

Postby CatraBiNAS » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Today is snowing and I see baron open..
Heth wrote:Hi,

Since it's a weekday on the 16th and in the low season you should be fine with one day. The only issue there might be is the weather. If it's too cold the outdoor rollercoasters may close. In February 2018 there was a freak cold chill that took it to -1 degrees Celsius, which closed all outdoor coaster except Baron 1898. I went to the park last on a weekday in February and got on 23 rides in only 7 hours (including 5 on Baron and 4 on Symbolica). I still had a great time and sure you will too.

Enviado do meu ONEPLUS A6003 através do Tapatalk

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby KarlaKoaster » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:58 pm

CatraBiNAS wrote:Today is snowing and I see baron open..
Heth wrote:Hi,

Since it's a weekday on the 16th and in the low season you should be fine with one day. The only issue there might be is the weather. If it's too cold the outdoor rollercoasters may close. In February 2018 there was a freak cold chill that took it to -1 degrees Celsius, which closed all outdoor coaster except Baron 1898. I went to the park last on a weekday in February and got on 23 rides in only 7 hours (including 5 on Baron and 4 on Symbolica). I still had a great time and sure you will too.

Enviado do meu ONEPLUS A6003 através do Tapatalk

They said 'except Baron' which means 'not Baron' (as I know English isn't your first language) :)

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby RCT3Bross » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Baron is the last (outdoor) coaster to close when it's freezing outside. I went last Saturday and the weather was around 0 degrees Celsius and only the Python was closed all day. Weather might be the biggest concern in January especially now because the weather is really unpredictable, Yesterday we had snow today I walked around with my coat open. That said crowds should be low, it's a week day in the second week after a holiday period, I'd say 40 minute Queue's at Max and that would only count for: Baron 1898, Symbolica and Droom Vlucht.

Anyway for what I came to do here in the first place: There is a major update on the expansion. 4 Parties have gone to the highest court in the Netherlands for one final attempted to prevent the plans form going through. One of them even asked to suspend the plan until the judge made his decision. In January the judge will reveal when the case is handled and if the question of suspension is valid enough to wait until he makes his rule.
What this means is that the park as of now isn't allowed to expand its borders. If the judge decides that the question of suspension doesn't have a valid enough reason they are allowed to expand, however the judge can still chance the agreement the park has with the local government and things can get complicated.
The judge also has to handle the case within 12 months and then has a maximum of 6 weeks before the final rule is said and done.
(I've been told that) After the rule the judgment is final, there is no need for further alterations or no further complications.
I thought this lat major hurdle was worth sharing. If I can I will try to update when there is more news.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2018: Efteling, Phantasialand, Walibi Holland, Skyline park, Europa Park, Walibi Belgium, Toverland, Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
2018 Rides: Fenix (Toverland), Tiki Waka (Walibi Belgium), Wicker Man (Alton Towers), Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach).

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:23 pm

Political correctness hits Efteling.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/01/efteling-amusement-park-to-update-characters-criticised-for-racist-stereotyping/

Efteling amusement park to update characters criticised for racist stereotyping
January 30, 2019
The Netherlands’ most popular amusement park said on Wednesday it is to overhaul the appearance of some of its controversial African and Asian characters to ‘to better fit in with today’s standards.

The Efteling’s Carnaval Festival fairground ride is to close for a three month period for a technical update and will take the opportunity to revamp animatronics criticised for yellow face and black face stereotypes.

This means the African figures will lose their nose ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings and be dressed in traditional African costumes while the Asian dolls will be given more natural eyes and teeth, a spokeswoman told broadcaster NOS.

The Carnaval Festival attraction is based on a voyage around the world and has often drawn criticism. International visitors who had ‘not grown up with the attraction’ were particularly vocal, spokeswoman Femke van Es told NOS.

The attraction is due for a technical overhaul and this has provided the right opportunity to rethink the African and Asian scenes, she said. The total renovation project will cost an estimated €3m.

No plans have yet been made to update the Monsieur Cannibale attraction, in which visitors sit in a cooking pot presided over by a so-called cannibal in stereotypical garb. That attraction is 31-years-old and when it comes up for a refit, adaptions to the character will certainly be considered, Van Es said.

Not racist

However, Tilburg University proessor Hans Siebers told the AD that the the animatronics are not necessarily racist. ‘Like Zwarte Piet, these dolls do not have any inherent meaning,’ he told the AD. ‘An African doll with a ring through its nose is not necessarily insulting or hurtful.’ No problems are being solved with this, he said. ‘First Zwarte Piet had to suffer and now the Efteling dolls. Who is next, the carnival itself?’
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:19 am

Awesome! Glad they found a way to keep the attraction and still pay attention to the psychological impact of stereotypes.
Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:51 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:05 pm

I just hope they keep the only thing that (what I found in it) represents Ca-na-da. :smile:
Resize of M-05.jpg
At least I think this reps Canada. (o;
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby jlp94 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:35 pm

^ Canada or demonic Sesame Street? :lol:

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:21 pm

^...Now with CLOWN NOSES! =)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm

This new Forest Being at Efteling reminds of a couple of other tree characters in film...
EftelingForestfaerie.jpg
What's new in Efteling.
WizardOfOzAppleTree.jpg
That Apple Tree - "Wizard of Oz" - just before they run into Tin Man.
BabesInToylandForestNoRetorn.png
Disney's Babes in Toyland ~ "...this is the Forest of No Return..."

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Robinoo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Awesome! Glad they found a way to keep the attraction and still pay attention to the psychological impact of stereotypes.

Me too. I love Efteling but those stereotypes have stood out as a negative in reviews for years - that, and the many smokers.
The Asian dolls remind me of WW II and anti-immigration propaganda from the fifties, it's that bad.

They need to do this if they want to attract more international tourists. Same for Mr Cannibale (although that character represents a cannibal, is there such a thing as a non-stereotypical cannibal?)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!