Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 680 - Pandemonium Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 24, 2018 9:45 am

If there's any chance you hit another Six Flags park this year, I still would recommend stopping in for a visit. The two best coasters (Goliath and Twisted Cyclone) are near the very front of the park. And if you're lucky, you may even be able to hit the classic Mind Bender too.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Arnolds Park & Nickelodeon Universe/Mall of America

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby JT325 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:23 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:The two best coasters (Goliath and Twisted Cyclone) are near the very front of the park.

You meant the two most popular coasters...

Canobie Coaster wrote:And if you're lucky, you may even be able to hit the classic Mind Bender too.

The best and rarest coaster at the park... well, to some of us ;)
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:30 pm

^ :nina:

I'm hoping to hop out there on Monday for a quick ride. I love how much better that side of the front of the park looks (come on, time to paint Scorcher now!)

Looks like rain, but you never know. Little guy is in daycare, I'm off work and have the day to myself so why not?!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby JT325 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 pm

^Take a few MB spins for me!
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby pryonisys » Thu May 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Unfortunatly I was unable to make it. After the work training finished my coworker and I both felt a ill (probably from what we were fed for lunch at the training).
Atlanta is where the company headquarters is so it's possible they may have me come back down for some other work event and hopefully I can get to SFOG then.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby shoesfather » Fri May 25, 2018 12:09 pm

So is this badboy able to run in light rain? I'm hoping to swing by tonight around 6 for the preview but looks like a 40% chance of rain.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby shoesfather » Fri May 25, 2018 12:23 pm

So does this bad boy run in light rain? Hoping to swing by after work today for the preview but there's a 40% chance of showers.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri May 25, 2018 5:11 pm

shoesfather wrote:So does this bad boy run in light rain? Hoping to swing by after work today for the preview but there's a 40% chance of showers.

How would anyone really know? Doesn't a ride have to actually OPERATE for some period of time before we know any details about the operations of it???

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Lotologist492 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Weather was cooperating this afternoon so I was able to visit the park for a few hours. Twisted Cyclone was having a preview event for Season pass holders, members, and anyone else willing to buy a $15 t-shirt.

Thunderstorms earlier in the day plus the fact some area school systems were still in session resulted in a very empty park. The only line in the park was the aforementioned preview line for TC, which was only about 10 minutes long. Basically, this was THE opportunity to ride this thing before it opens to the public tomorrow.

I rode it three times: twice near the front, once near the back. There was no preferred seating; an attendant was assigning seats. The queue house was completely refurbished with some theming on the walls featuring reproduction newspaper headlines of hurricanes past. There was even some cross-promotion for Hurricane Harbor. There was also a new area with personal storage, a.k.a. 'fluffy bunnies' available as this ride now joins the ranks of Goliath, Scorcher, and others that do not allow personal items on the dock.

Anyway - as far as the ride goes... wow ... just W@W. What this ride lacks in length is more than made up for in intensity and lots of ejector air time. The ride starts off with a surprise drop and some trick track action. We were already having a blast and we had not yet even reached the lift hill. The first drop with the head chopper and the first inversion took many by surprise. All the elements were well paced and after the final inversion and turn, the train rockets into the brake run. I believe this ride got faster at the very end. There are no bad seats; the ejector air time is everywhere. Additionally, there is nothing really to hold onto. If your hands are not in the air, they are against your body. This out-of-control feel just added to the thrill.

All in all, this is EXACTLY what the park needed. Some others have said it here first: SLEEPER HIT. Well it is that and more. There are going to be many thoroughly surprised naysayers.

I also spent an hour or so in the newly opened-for-the-season Hurricane Harbor. Oh, the irony.

Not a bad way to spend three hours after work. Cheers.....

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Seddy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:58 pm

robbalvey wrote:
shoesfather wrote:So does this bad boy run in light rain? Hoping to swing by after work today for the preview but there's a 40% chance of showers.

How would anyone really know? Doesn't a ride have to actually OPERATE for some period of time before we know any details about the operations of it???

If SFOG is still doing things the way they were when I worked there, then chances are they're not going to run it in the rain because the brake run isn't covered. All of the coasters with uncovered brake runs are classified as Level A rides. Level A rides (Mind Bender, Goliath, Blue Hawk, Superman, Scorcher etc.) are the first to close even before the rain starts. I was told that this is to prevent issues with the brakes being wet, possibly preventing them from functioning properly.

I'm actually surprised that the brake run on Twisted Cyclone isn't covered. Especially since The Georgia Cyclone had a covered brake run.
Former SFOG Employee (2005-2006). Former GASM Op(2005). Former Thunder River Op(2006).
Favorite Woodie - El Toro --- Favorite Steel - Dèja Vu (Long live the GIB)
SFOG Ambassador - Per My Mother. (Lol)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!