Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 680 - Pandemonium Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 pm

I'm quoting my own post from weeks ago since I never got a response. But I'm kinda starting to plan trips for later in the year so... Locals?

boldikus wrote:I'm starting to get a plan together for later this year and am coming to the conclusion that I'll be visiting sometime AFTER Labor Day. Early September? Early November? Early December? Does the park have a few "down" weekends between Fright Fest and HITP where crowds theoretically shouldn't be as bad? I really don't wanna go during Fright Fest, as while Platinum Flash Pass is an option, I'll most definitely be at the park on a Saturday. How are weekend crowds between Labor Day and the start of Fright Fest? I would really like to check out this parks HITP event since I love Great Advs so much but I'm afraid of the weather factor since I'll be booking a flight, hotel, etc in advance.

I'm not like booking tomorrow so I have time to figure this out, but any thoughts/advice from the locals on this? Taking into consideration crowds/weather potentials, if you were coming out from out of town would you go for early Sept, Nov or Dec? Thanks.

I've narrowed it down to either one of the two weekends AFTER Labor Day or the first weekend in November (after Fright Fest) - are they typically open those November weekends?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:23 pm

The park is open during the weekends of November, but if you want to maximize the time you have at Six Flags, the park is open longer the weekend after Labor Day. The weekend after that, though, the park is only open on Sunday due to a private event. In terms of crowdedness, I wouldn't expect it to be too crazy.

If you decide to go in November, the park will be open on the weekends. Weather wise, it shouldn't be too cold yet. Ride wise, I'm not sure if GASM, Superman, Blue Hawk, SkyScreamer or JLB4M will be open since they close the back of the park for maintenance. Crowd wise, it won't be crowded. People don't realize the park is even open half the time.

If you want to know anything else, let me know. If you want to meet up, grab a beer, and get some rides in, I live roughly 20 minutes from the park, and it'd be great to meet up with some TPR people.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

Postby boldikus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:01 am

Thanks for that info!

OK so I am currently leaning toward that weekend after Labor Day. I don't want to go in November if there will be a big chunk of the park closed. Not that I'm dying to ride any of that stuff as I rode SS, GASM and Superman on my last visit but would like to compare your JLBFM to ours of course, and I haven't ridden Blue Hawk since it was Kamikaze in Wildwood, as it was getting rehabbed when I was @ SFOG in 2016. Mostly tho a bunch of closed rides can equal longer lines elsewhere. I'd just rather everything be open. Plus I'd imagine the weather in September won't be as much of a gamble.

I'll definitely be visiting on a Saturday, thinking of flying down Saturday morning super early (just like I did last time) or maybe even late Friday night so I can just get right up and go to the park all day Saturday. I'll also be visiting my sister in Athens (prob Sun-Mon/Tues) and she warned me not to come the weekend of Nov 10th due to giant college football games in Athens.

What time does the park typically close on the those mid Sept weekends? I'd love to get some night rides on Goliath and Mindbender again.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 am

Park closes at 8 on Saturdays in September.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby zeus7331 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:28 am

boldikus wrote:

I've narrowed it down to either one of the two weekends AFTER Labor Day or the first weekend in November (after Fright Fest) - are they typically open those November weekends?

It has been my experience, over the past 3 years, the weekends after Labor Day the park is annoyingly busy. It has a lot to do with their Labor Day season pass sale. Everyone is excited to get in there and get their passes activated within the first 30 days so they can get their coupons.

November is way better. The weekends between Fright Fest and HHIP the park is a ghost town.

Postby boldikus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:08 am

But won't the back area of the park likely be closed in November?

Also, will it matter that its busy if I have Platinum FP? I had it last time on a beautiful busy April Saturday and I had no issues with the crowd, except when waiting for food.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby zeus7331 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Ah...I forget about the flash pass option all the time. With 4 kids in tow...I have learned over the years the best days to go to avoid the crowds. With a flash pass though you would be fine.

They have been expanding HIIP each year but I don't think this year is the year they are going to include GASM and Blue Hawk.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby SFOGchick » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:35 pm

More progress on Twisted Cyclone. RMC working hard on Saturday. The reverse cobra roll is almost finished!
543EDFDE-4B28-4099-A0FB-F6C173160F7A.jpeg
Top 5 - 1. New Texas Giant 2. Batman: The Ride 3. Twisted Cyclone 4. Georgia Scorcher (SFOG) 5. Titan

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Lotologist492 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:55 pm

boldikus wrote:But won't the back area of the park likely be closed in November?

Last year GASM, Sky Screamer and Blue Hawk were all OPEN weekends in November, before the start of Holiday. I cannot say for sure it will happen that way again this year but it has been that way for the past few years. Weather in November is a mixed bag; could be chilly or summer like. Park is very un-crowded in November, even on the Military Appreciation Day which is typically the weekend closest to Veterans' Day. Lines were short, even for food. One caveat: the park is only open until 6PM on those days.

Holiday begins the weekend before Thanksgiving. The park hours extend until 10pm but that aforementioned section of the park closes for winter maintenance.

If you want to get the most ride time November is best. On the other hand, the weekend after Labor Day the water rides and Hurricane Harbor remain open.

Happy and safe travels!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 am

SFOGchick wrote:...The reverse cobra roll...

Bigger is not always better.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!