Rye Playland Discussion Thread

P. 30: The future(?) amid the squabbling
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Rye Playland Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 am

On a positive note, Playland has announced a nightly laser light show at 7:45 p.m. and 9 p.m if anyone wants to party like it's 1995.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 pm

I can't even comment on this saga anymore.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/2019/06/03/playland-standard-sues-westchester-asks-court-keep-operating-deal/1326744001/

Playland: Standard sues Westchester, asks court to preserve its deal to run amusement park
Mark Lungariello, Rockland/Westchester Journal News Published 7:54 a.m. ET June 3, 2019 | Updated 4:14 p.m. ET June 3, 2019

Westchester is set to approve a $500K contract for an outside attorney. Standard was to take over management in November.

The company that was supposed to take over management of Playland amusement park is suing Westchester County in bankruptcy court.

Westchester, which owns Playland, is trying to kill a 30-year contract with Standard Amusements but the company said in federal court papers Sunday that it wants to invalidate the termination – and have the county pay its legal fees, costs and other relief.

Standard filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy May 27, one day before the county was going to dissolve the company’s contract to operate the park on Rye’s Long Island Sound Shore. County Executive George Latimer, a Democrat, sought to end the deal that was struck in 2016 – two years before he was in office.

Attorney John Rapisardi, of the firm O’Melveny & Myers, asserted in an adversary proceeding complaint that the county had sought a way to get out of the deal since the changeover from Latimer’s predecessor, Republican Rob Astorino.

“It was clear from Mr. Latimer’s public statements, and his conduct, that he had no interest in preserving the Agreement or even talking to SA,” Rapisardi wrote in the 26-page filing. “He had one goal: terminate the Agreement by any means necessary.”

Elsewhere in the complaint, the attorney said Westchester couldn’t reverse a deal from a previous administration when a contract is in place.

“Rather, just as a corporation’s new management cannot abrogate the contracts prior management entered into, a government cannot walk away from binding agreements made by past administrations simply because the new administration does not like them,” the court filing said.

Adversary proceedings are decided within a bankruptcy case, usually with the goal of wiping out a debt to the company that is in the midst of reorganizing. Although the company denies any breaches of its contract, it’s asking the court to rule the breaches are fixable and give the company a change to comply.

Westchester lawmakers were set to approve a contract Monday with the law firm Paul, Riskind, Wharton and Garrison for up to $500,000 to represent the county in bankruptcy court. Usually contracts beyond $75,000 need to go out to written bidding, but John Nonna, attorney for the Latimer administration, said there wasn't enough time to go through the formal process.

Catherine Cioffi, a spokeswoman for Latimer, said she wouldn't comment on pending litigation. She said the county is "focused on having a great 2019 season at Playland." Standard was supposed to take over management in November, after this season.

Standard has said losing its contract would eliminate its only source of revenue. Westchester has taken the position that the company breached the terms of its contract but Standard denied that and says it has been rebuffed in efforts to address the county’s concerns.

It said while county officials said they were unhappy with the deal, they never identified any potential changes to Standard. The county formally accused Standard of breaching the deal last year, taking issue with the company’s claimed investment in the park, which included salaries, travel and expenses.

The company has contended the spending was allowed under the terms of its contract which allows for “overheard” and has a section that says any spending by the manager after May 1, 2016, will count toward the investment.

It had offered to write off that spending in recent months and it had also offered to increase its overall investment. Under the terms of the deal, Standard was to pay an annual management fee and invest more than $27 million into the park.

Standard said that in a May 2018 deal with Jadian UP Holdings, a real estate and asset investment company, $40 million was committed to Standard’s parent, United Parks. The filing said $20 million was drawn so far and the remainder would be available if the contract is preserved.

The suit names the county, Latimer, parks Commissioner Kathleen O’Connor and Hugh Greechan, commissioner of the Department of Public Works.

A Standard spokesman didn't immediately respond to requests for comment Monday.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:58 am

It is amazing that this saga continues to drag on in such a way... Rye Playland needs an established operator to come in, invest and clean up the operation. Such litigation only delays Rye's prospects for success.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:02 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:It is amazing that this saga continues to drag on in such a way... Rye Playland needs an established operator to come in, invest and clean up the operation. Such litigation only delays Rye's prospects for success.

The saga continues because there's a significant number of people with money who don't want Rye to exist. If Standard doesn't believe they breached the terms of the contract, then why shouldn't they sue to prevent a unilateral attempt by a politician to do enormous financial damage to them?

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:24 am

DirkFunk wrote:The saga continues because there's a significant number of people with money who don't want Rye to exist.

I'm sure there are also plenty of developers on the starting line, ready to pounce on bulldozing it to turn it into some high-end mixed-use district.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 pm

It looks like the park is getting a Disk-O. It’s been a long time since they got a new ride so this is great to see.
37F383E5-EFF0-4BCD-9693-AF361B983CD0.jpeg

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:08 pm

I was about to ask when the last time they got a new ride was. I don't recognize anything else new since my last visit in 2007.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Indianapolis Zoo & John Ivers Backyard/Blue Flash

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!