Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 264- New Guardians Roller Coaster Update!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:12 pm

Not super familiar with the Disney Springs test. Was it sort of like the stuff from the Korean Olympics earlier this year?

EDIT: Found a video. Looks very cool!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:41 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Not super familiar with the Disney Springs test. Was it sort of like the stuff from the Korean Olympics earlier this year?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm

They did a drone show at the PNE last summer (2017) in Vancouver. It was pretty good, although a few times,
it looked like the little drones were lost where they were, in the sky, lol. And they did nothing big, like in the test
that WDW did.

I'm sure Disney has tweeked the drones to the point they will fly, even bigger and better, in more complex configurations.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks, Robb! If they incorporate that into a fireworks show, it's going to be awesome.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:37 pm

While looking at Illuminations videos I came across this gem!

Someone has more time, and money on their hands than they know what to do with! (But it sure looks good!) :lover:
Bigger is not always better.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Vigil » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 am

I'm just sad they wouldn't be using the same music. Reflections of Earth is pretty much my favorite piece of music, period.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going to EPCOT for New Year's Eve. Does anyone have any tips or ideas regarding what to do?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby verruckt1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:43 pm

I saw pictures of the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster and saw it was being built by Vekoma. This led me to the question of why does Disney like to use Vekoma for coasters. I think Intamin or maybe S&S would've been a better choice for Rock n' Roller Coaster. Even Seven Darfs Mine Train was built by Vekoma. The only ride I don't argue with is Expedition Everest because they did a fabulous job on that ride. I also looked up who built big thunder mountain and saw that a company named dynamic structures built it, but they seem to not build coasters, does anyone know why Disney chose them.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby BlahBlahson » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:02 am

Vigil wrote:I'm just sad they wouldn't be using the same music. Reflections of Earth is pretty much my favorite piece of music, period.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going to EPCOT for New Year's Eve. Does anyone have any tips or ideas regarding what to do?

Just seeing this post, but I attended New Year's Eve at Epcot last year, so if I can offer some advice.

#1. It's the busiest day of the year, so go in expecting that! Test Track through fastpass around 9PM last year was a 30 minute wait for us, and it was 240!!! Minutes posted for Standby. We asked the cast member at merge what the ratio was for guests and she said 1 (single) person from standby per vehicle-design room. Spaceship Earth standby was over 2 hours with all queue completely full. Any rides you want to do you will have to have fastpass for. Also there are huge waits for food parkwide (Electric Umbrella queue was snaking outside near mousegears), and some of the bathrooms as well. I think we ate in Japan which wasn't too bad of a line.

However, I've never had more fun at Epcot. They set up a Silent Disco in the plaza behind Spaceship Earth's exit and you could choose between two different DJs. In China, there was literally a fire-breathing dragon above the crowd, playing modern EDM. In Italy they had a phenomenal house DJ who I think was on-set for at least 6 hours. The park was also well-managed, they had cast members arm-to-arm around the entire world showcase who were directing traffic flow in two lanes, and there was tape marking the areas you could stand in for fireworks. We got our spot about 45 minutes before midnight and had a good view from Mexico pavillion area, I'd plan 15 minutes earlier next time. For the midnight fireworks they play normal Illuminations (which they ALSO played at like 8PM I think), followed by a much more interesting NYE segment with a gigantic finale. They also opened up backstage areas to walk from the world showcase to the front areas, such as from Canada to the Land pavillion which were open the whole day. They give out noisemakers (and fun hats) also which were really annoying at first, but quieted down as people got bored of them.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 am

verruckt1 wrote:I saw pictures of the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster and saw it was being built by Vekoma. This led me to the question of why does Disney like to use Vekoma for coasters. I think Intamin or maybe S&S would've been a better choice for Rock n' Roller Coaster. Even Seven Darfs Mine Train was built by Vekoma. The only ride I don't argue with is Expedition Everest because they did a fabulous job on that ride. I also looked up who built big thunder mountain and saw that a company named dynamic structures built it, but they seem to not build coasters, does anyone know why Disney chose them.

Disney is much more "hands on" in the development of rides. Essentially a manufacturer has to agree to being a subcontractor to Disney instead of running a whole project as they normally would. Disney and Vekoma obviously have a very good working relationship where both parties benefit, so why mess with a good thing?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:02 am

Might as well add this to the discussion thread as well as the IAAPA thread. Today at IAAPA Bob Chapek announced some new details about the Guardians Roller Coaster. From this short video we can take away the following:

- Vekoma is working on the ride.
- The ride vehicle design was announced.
- The ride vehicles will turn (doesn't sound like it will spin freely.)
- The coaster will launch at some point.
- It's not a flying coaster.

Here's the video and some images of the coaster cars:

ride vehicle 1.jpg

ride vehicle 2.jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!