Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 264- New Guardians Roller Coaster Update!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did my donkey title just change???

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby tinaalsgirl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 pm

I was actually slightly disappointed in the show when I finally got to see it. I'd fallen in love with the soundtrack back in 2000 when my music teacher had played it for us; I didn't get to see the show until 11 years later. So I'd built up all this grandeur and magic in my head while listening to the CD over and over, to the point that when I finally saw the show, I wasn't as impressed by it as I'd hoped.

So I definitely look forward to seeing what comes next! Not just visually, but also musically! Because the IllumiNations soundtrack is one of my all-time favorite albums!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:08 pm

I am beyond sad to see this show go. It was my all time favorite theme park firework show. That being said, I am VERY thankful that we were already planning a trip to WDW for next summer, so I'll at least get to see it one last time! :br After that, I am beyond thrilled to see what Disney replaces it with. It was an amazing show no doubt... But it is time for an update.

Sad that it's leaving, glad I get to see it one last time, can't wait to see what replaces it! :mickey:
Bigger is not always better.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Looking forward to enjoying the new show in....6 years? :b
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:42 pm

I just watched it again today. I love the show, but really...

First three minutes... AMAZING! Fire barge! YESSSS!!!

Next five minutes.... Zzzzzzzz

Show finale... AMAZING!!! And here is that finale for you...

Honestly, the show is great, but it really feels "tired" in that so much technology has advanced in 20 years for being able to put together a really EPIC nighttime show.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:08 am

I freaking love Illuminations, love absolutely everything about it, but it is a little dated so I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Seem like according to the press release (or some other source I don't remember) there's a pretty quick turnaround from the time the current show ends and the new one begins, which makes me wonder if they're gonna re-use some elements of the current show like the inferno barge or the pyro locations around the lagoon.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:11 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:I freaking love Illuminations, love absolutely everything about it, but it is a little dated so I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Seem like according to the press release (or some other source I don't remember) there's a pretty quick turnaround from the time the current show ends and the new one begins, which makes me wonder if they're gonna re-use some elements of the current show like the inferno barge or the pyro locations around the lagoon.

Remember that Happily Ever After started the NIGHT AFTER Wishes ended. I'm sure they are going to be testing the new show for MONTHS before it opens and they'll have everything in place to swap out the old for the new.

I mean, we already know that the drone show at Disney Springs last year was a "test" to see how well drones will work over water. Hmmm.... If that test was successful or not, or if it was even for "New Illuminations" we will only know sometime next year...

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:27 am

robbalvey wrote:
Hilltopper39 wrote:I freaking love Illuminations, love absolutely everything about it, but it is a little dated so I'm excited to see what they have in store.

Remember that Happily Ever After started the NIGHT AFTER Wishes ended. I'm sure they are going to be testing the new show for MONTHS before it opens and they'll have everything in place to swap out the old for the new.

I mean, we already know that the drone show at Disney Springs last year was a "test" to see how well drones will work over water. Hmmm.... If that test was successful or not, or if it was even for "New Illuminations" we will only know sometime next year...

Yeah I forgot how quickly they turned that one around, and I never though about the drone show from last Christmas being a potential "test" but that makes sense. Seems like most of the reviews of that were kinda meh, but the potential is there for it to be spectacular that's for sure.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:33 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:Seems like most of the reviews of that were kinda meh, but the potential is there for it to be spectacular that's for sure.

Yeah, absoultely. That show wasn't really about producing something amazing, IMO, it was more about making sure the tech could work. I think if we see it as part of a new Illuminations, it will be one of many things that would be included in the show.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm

It’s a good show and I love the soundtrack and how the fireworks launch in geometric formations.

But yay new show!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby BlahBlahson » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Drones would be fantastic in a new "Illuminations". The big flaw in the current show is that the globe comes out in the middle and the space for the show is so big that you can't f*ing see the thing (and not much really happens during that whole bit anyway). With movable, non-exploding Drones you could go wide enough around the area that everyone can see something up close.

My biggest hope for a new show is that it's not littered with IP. I know that this is the direction that Disney and Universal have been charging into, which is both good and bad. The problem is that with Fantasmic and Happily Ever After (or Star Wars Fireworks), you already have two major night shows that are extremely character heavy. If this one became a pure "movie moments" style show, that's too far a departure from the "togetherness and world culture" themes of the current performance and would make the night-time spectaculars redundant.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!