Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby ElvisLuv » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am

coasterbill wrote:Good call on XNA, I've checked the other ones but not that one. I'm in the New York area but I would absolutely go to Philly if it made sense. I've done it before. It's less than an hour and a half from Newark Airport and probably only about an hour different than me driving to JFK and dealing with that Van Wyck dumpster fire.

Honestly we're probably not going this year since we're out of days and ideally we would probably include Kansas City, Worlds of Fun, Kauffman Stadium, City Museum, Six Flags St. Louis and the arch / touristy stuff / possibly Busch Stadium in the same trip and that would require a lot of time off. Frontier flies from Philly to St. Louis and Kansas City but their prices lately have been less-than-impressive and the flight times suck.

It's looking like a 2020 trip.

If you like catching ballparks, Aurozone in Memphis is one of the best non MLB venues out there plus a block away from Beale Street.

Northwest Arkansas and Springfield have nice AA parks Royals and Cardinal affiliates.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 am

coasterbill wrote:Honestly we're probably not going this year since we're out of days and ideally we would probably include Kansas City, Worlds of Fun, Kauffman Stadium, City Museum, Six Flags St. Louis and the arch / touristy stuff / possibly Busch Stadium in the same trip and that would require a lot of time off. Frontier flies from Philly to St. Louis and Kansas City but their prices lately have been less-than-impressive and the flight times suck.

It's looking like a 2020 trip.

Hey, maybe SFStL will finally get something good in 2020. ;)
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 am

Brit would enjoy Tiger Sanctuary in Branson and Wild Animal Safari in Strafford (suburb of Springfield). Don't go to Wonders of Wildlife in Springfield, it's less about how cool animals are and more about how cool it is to kill them.

Postby ElvisLuv » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Brit would enjoy Tiger Sanctuary in Branson and Wild Animal Safari in Strafford (suburb of Springfield). Don't go to Wonders of Wildlife in Springfield, it's less about how cool animals are and more about how cool it is to kill them.

You expected different from a place opened up by Bass Pro Shops flagship store?

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:16 am

No, I'm offering advice. I've met Brit and I don't think she would like it.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 am

Just wanted to add that I haven’t seen Spirit mentioned anywhere here, and I know for a fact they fly into KC (MCI). Just thought I’d say that for whatever it’s worth - they’re a low-cost airline as well.

I’ve been seeing Memphis thrown around here too - as someone who lived in Memphis, I would avoiding flying in or out of there. We used to drive to STL to fly because it was usually cheaper. The problem is Memphis Airport is Fedex’s SuperHub and thus gets most the business it needs through them, so prices for passenger flights have always been higher (at least, this is how I always was explained it). They’re currently in the process of changing their passenger service from being a hub airport to a destination airport, so I don't know that has had any effect on prices lately - they started that just after I moved.

Also, Memphis is AT LEAST a solid five or six hour drive from anywhere in Missouri except the southeast corner of the state where there aren’t any destination cities anyway. I know this with plenty of experience (matter of fact, I just got back Sunday from a trip down there). Add on a couple hours for anything west Columbia (which for you would be Kansas City). It would probably be a stretch to add it unless you’re flying into or out of there.

Postby ElvisLuv » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:14 pm

RollerManic wrote:Just wanted to add that I haven’t seen Spirit mentioned anywhere here, and I know for a fact they fly into KC (MCI). Just thought I’d say that for whatever it’s worth - they’re a low-cost airline as well.

I’ve been seeing Memphis thrown around here too - as someone who lived in Memphis, I would avoiding flying in or out of there. We used to drive to STL to fly because it was usually cheaper. The problem is Memphis Airport is Fedex’s SuperHub and thus gets most the business it needs through them, so prices for passenger flights have always been higher (at least, this is how I always was explained it). They’re currently in the process of changing their passenger service from being a hub airport to a destination airport, so I don't know that has had any effect on prices lately - they started that just after I moved.

Also, Memphis is AT LEAST a solid five or six hour drive from anywhere in Missouri except the southeast corner of the state where there aren’t any destination cities anyway. I know this with plenty of experience (matter of fact, I just got back Sunday from a trip down there). Add on a couple hours for anything west Columbia (which for you would be Kansas City). It would probably be a stretch to add it unless you’re flying into or out of there.

Memphis fares were astronomical when it was a Northwest then Delta Fortress hub that was heavily defended when someone tried to enter the market not because of FedEx and it being the second largest cargo airport in the world. In fact, the FedEx volume keeps fees for new lcc passenger airlines low even with a complete redo of the terminal underway to right size it now that it isn't a hub anymore and fares have come way down. It has been transtitioning to an O&D airport for 5 years now. I wish FedEx would cotemplate their own passenger service with combi planes, half passenger/half cargo.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:47 am

I'm not against flying Spirit but right now the flight times are horrible and the prices are close enough that I'd rather just fly a legacy carrier. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am

Construction update! There is a building going up and some concrete/landscaping work.
IMG_20190417_122658.jpg
IMG_20190417_122827.jpg
IMG_20190417_123018.jpg

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 am

Lots more happening with Lost River, especially on the building!
IMG_20190424_124540.jpg
IMG_20190424_124602.jpg
IMG_20190424_124747.jpg
IMG_20190424_124907.jpg
IMG_20190424_124945.jpg
IMG_20190424_125032.jpg
IMG_20190424_125057.jpg
IMG_20190424_125153.jpg
IMG_20190424_125220.jpg
IMG_20190424_125524.jpg
Lots of work on the Wilderness Waterboggan path too!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!