Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Great report! If it wasn't so far for me, I'd definitely head out there to see those shows and ride Outlaw Run with actual foliage in the area. :lol:

The crab fries look really good as well!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Yeah, I know it was really a matter of when you had time off, but you saw like 60% of SDC. Still better than nothing for sure, and it's still a good park during spring break preview. But once it's running on all cylinders, it becomes truly world-class. Best theme park in the Midwest.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 pm

^ I think calling it the best theme park in the midwest is even underselling it. Outside of the best Disney parks, it's my favorite park.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:13 am

In case people didn't know, Frontier Airlines is back at little ol' BKG airport with nonstops from Denver, Dallas and Chicago. Plus they are now flying into XNA in Northwest Arkansas from Denver for some lost cost options besides Allegiant at Springfield and XNA.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 am

This park is so irritating to get to from the east coast. I've been watching prices for awhile now to St. Louis, Kansas City or Branson (lol on that last one) and it's always higher than it should be. Even if you're not a ULCC fan it would benefit everyone for an ultra low cost carrier to expand their routes to these areas from the east coast and create some competition. Right now it's way more expensive than it should be.

Obviously (to anyone that knows us) we're churning for it anyway but points do have value so I don't want to blow them all on something stupid. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 am

I got extremely lucky that Delta added a single nonstop route from Boston to Kansas City last year. The time was brutal, but it got me there quickly and far cheaper than the other options.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:14 am

coasterbill wrote:This park is so irritating to get to from the east coast. I've been watching prices for awhile now to St. Louis, Kansas City or Branson (lol on that last one) and it's always higher than it should be. Even if you're not a ULCC fan it would benefit everyone for an ultra low cost carrier to expand their routes to these areas from the east coast and create some competition. Right now it's way more expensive than it should be.

Obviously (to anyone that knows us) we're churning for it anyway but points do have value so I don't want to blow them all on something stupid. :lol:

This is absolutely true. What you're talking about here is also what I run into trying to fly to the East Coast. We have no such problem going to the West Coast from here; you can find $50-70 flights all the time.

So maybe keep an eye out for a cheap flight to Mesa, Arizona, and you can get to Branson from there. :lol:

Whenever you get here, SDC will be worth it.
Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:17 am.

Postby ElvisLuv » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

Include XNA(Northwest Arkansas) TUL (Tulsa), LIT(Little Rock), SGF(Springfield MO not to be confused with Frontier at much smaller BKG) and even FSM(Fort Smith AR).

TUL and LIT have Southwest but you'll have to connect somewhere.

You are in the Philly area right?
American just added a nonstop to XNA from Philly for a couple of months from now. All of those are as close or closer than MCI(Kansas City) Hell, there's the Frontier MEM/PHI flights as well but that is a 5 hr drive like St. Louis.

Allegaint Flew BWI/TUL last summer it may be back.

Barclays has an AA Aviator Red card with a 60k point bonus for a single purchase and a 95 annual fee. It gives you free check in luggage. Combine that with the XNA/PHL, DCA or LGA nopstops and get to SDC that way

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:29 am

Good call on XNA, I've checked the other ones but not that one. I'm in the New York area but I would absolutely go to Philly if it made sense. I've done it before. It's less than an hour and a half from Newark Airport and probably only about an hour different than me driving to JFK and dealing with that Van Wyck dumpster fire.

Honestly we're probably not going this year since we're out of days and ideally we would probably include Kansas City, Worlds of Fun, Kauffman Stadium, City Museum, Six Flags St. Louis and the arch / touristy stuff / possibly Busch Stadium in the same trip and that would require a lot of time off. Frontier flies from Philly to St. Louis and Kansas City but their prices lately have been less-than-impressive and the flight times suck.

It's looking like a 2020 trip.

Postby ElvisLuv » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am

coasterbill wrote:Good call on XNA, I've checked the other ones but not that one. I'm in the New York area but I would absolutely go to Philly if it made sense. I've done it before. It's less than an hour and a half from Newark Airport and probably only about an hour different than me driving to JFK and dealing with that Van Wyck dumpster fire.

XNA is Walmart International. Frontier is about to find great success from there. Lots of F-Off money in NWA these days but we like roll back prices and often frive to Tulsa for lower fares, lol, Booming area, check out Crystal Bridges in Bentonville if you like Art, it's free for the permanent galleries.

At one time, there were great air deals feom XNA to the NYC area but Delta killed off it's LGA service and left it to American and United and price have gone up a bit. Two years ago with some lead time it was sub 300 for nonstop R/Ts to the NYC area.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!