Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:20 pm

^^ That's great news.

^ At this point, I'd say no. It could of course change, but so far I haven't heard anything about one day tickets being discounted, just season passes and in park merch:

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Shopping/After-Thanksgiving-Sale

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:05 pm

My wife and I are visiting sdc for the first time in a few weeks. We're going on a Wednesday and a Thursday later in December. How busy will these days be? What's the weather usually like, I know it will be cold but how cold. Are season passes for 2018 still available? I feel like it would be cheaper just to get season passes for the 2 days.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:02 am

The best kind of question....does anyone with experience with the park have a prediction on crowd levels today? Im thinking of making a spontaneous trip with how nice the weather is. If this is historically a busy day due to thd holiday, coupling that with the nice weather may not make it worth the 3.5 hour drive though?

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:15 am

DavidB wrote:The best kind of question....does anyone with experience with the park have a prediction on crowd levels today? Im thinking of making a spontaneous trip with how nice the weather is. If this is historically a busy day due to thd holiday, coupling that with the nice weather may not make it worth the 3.5 hour drive though?

It will be a nightmare. I highly recommend not going.

Last Saturday had 25k people. It was awful.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Oh man, I hope you didn't try to make the trip today DavidB. Sounds like it was a mad-house today. They closed the gates due to crowds. Probably another new attendance record.

The park has gotten too popular for it's own good at this point during Christmas. I'm honestly too scared to go unless I know it will be bad weather and the crowds will be lighter.

Shows why the are rebuilding whole sections of the park. Also why they are experimenting with different season pass concepts that would exclude Christmas (for a lower price). There are still many parts of the year when the park is a ghost town, but as soon as November hits it's like half the country descends on the place.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Fortunately I decided not to take the chance figuring it may be really crowded, and I wasn't feeling too great in the first place. Good for the park that they are doing booming business though!

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:48 am

Yeah its being said crowds were peaked out at 35,000 with people parking on the side of Indian Point and 76.

Also the gutting/demo of the Lost River and surrounding areas of the park appears to have begun.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 pm

I've got some time off in December and was thinking about going to Silver Dollar City for the first time. I'm only interested in riding the coasters and some flats. I would drive from Chicago so this trip would depend on the weather. Is it worth it to go for one day or should I hold off until next season?

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:57 pm

IntaminLove wrote:I've got some time off in December and was thinking about going to Silver Dollar City for the first time. I'm only interested in riding the coasters and some flats. I would drive from Chicago so this trip would depend on the weather. Is it worth it to go for one day or should I hold off until next season?

My advice would be to have an open mind about this park. It's more like Knott's or Disneyland than it is like Six Flags. The two best things here are the cave tour and cinnamon bread. If you just ride coasters, you're missing the point.

That said, if you do come, look for a day with a high temperature. They start closing rides at 44°F, so if the high is around there, hold off. Weather is weird here and we can have a high in the 30s one day and in the 60s the next.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 pm

Thanks for your response! I know there is more to the park than just coasters, which also excites me. I figured I should make the rides a priority since I would only go for a day, shorter hours, unknown crowd size and it could be a while before I would go back. If things work out in my favor then I would try to experience as much of the park offerings as possible. I'll see if I can get down there this weekend since the weather looks promising.
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS