Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 282: HHN Photo Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 am

I've never done the other studio tours in LA but how does the Backlot Tour compare? I feel like you maybe could offer the tour as a standalone thing, but removing the tour from a day ticket to Universal would be a tremendous blow.

This isn't like the Backlot Tour at Hollywood Studios. This one is actually good.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby bostonlva » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:I've never done the other studio tours in LA but how does the Backlot Tour compare? I feel like you maybe could offer the tour as a standalone thing, but removing the tour from a day ticket to Universal would be a tremendous blow.

This isn't like the Backlot Tour at Hollywood Studios. This one is actually good.

If memory serves me, the WB studio tour was more “personalized” and you saw a lot more things relating to the nuts and bolts of how a studio runs Compared to USH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:22 pm

bostonlva wrote:Only way I can *possibly* see this working is if they take some of the VIP exclusive aspects of the studio tour and move them to the regular tour. As it stands now, the current tour is in no way worth an “up charge”

i agree. but i don't know the demographics. maybe people who've never been would think it's worth it. for me, so much was lost when all the original buildings burned down. i remember going thru when back to the future 2 and 3 were full on hot sets. the only thing i think left from then is the concrete.

if you do at least a watered down vip tour, seeing a set, or checking out the props warehouse, i guess that would be cool for $10. lol

but maybe as universal becomes more theme park than movie studio, it's an option.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby aueft » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Yikes, I didn't realize that they were proposal separating out the tram tour from general park admission entirely. I hope that Screamescape is right about the study being geared towards something not as clear cut as that.

Canobie Coaster wrote:I've never done the other studio tours in LA but how does the Backlot Tour compare? I feel like you maybe could offer the tour as a standalone thing, but removing the tour from a day ticket to Universal would be a tremendous blow.

The WB tour is much more expensive, longer, and handles smaller, more intimate groups. At points, the WB tour leaves the shuttles and continues on foot into the studio buildings themselves (which obviously the Universal version does not do). It is more informative and also feels more "authentic" in a way.

They are entirely different beasts, and Universal Studios would need to make major changes to their tour in order to make it even close to being equitable to the other studio tours in the area as a "standalone" offering.

It would be crazy for Universal Studios to treat the tour as an extra upcharge. It's not like they have enough room to replace it with anything worthwhile (especially at the capacity that the trams pull). Without the tram tours, Universal Studios Hollywood is easily the worst park in the area (and even with the tram tours, the park is rather small).

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby bostonlva » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:21 pm

aueft wrote:Yikes, I didn't realize that they were proposal separating out the tram tour from general park admission entirely. I hope that Screamescape is right about the study being geared towards something not as clear cut as that.

The WB tour is much more expensive, longer, and handles smaller, more intimate groups. At points, the WB tour leaves the shuttles and continues on foot into the studio buildings themselves (which obviously the Universal version does not do). It is more informative and also feels more "authentic" in a way.

They are entirely different beasts, and Universal Studios would need to make major changes to their tour in order to make it even close to being equitable to the other studio tours in the area as a "standalone" offering.

It would be crazy for Universal Studios to treat the tour as an extra upcharge. It's not like they have enough room to replace it with anything worthwhile (especially at the capacity that the trams pull). Without the tram tours, Universal Studios Hollywood is easily the worst park in the area (and even with the tram tours, the park is rather small).

Yup. I won’t go back if they make it an up charge without any major changes. Then non tram attractions are literally just clones of each other (motion simulator rides)

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 am

It has been announced that Rob Zombie's "House of 1000 Corpses" will scare guests with a new maze at this year's Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood!

Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort take guests on a relentless tour through multi-platinum recording artist and filmmaker Rob Zombie’s twisted “House of 1000 Corpses,” inspired by Lionsgate’s 2003 cult classic horror film, as part of this year’s “Halloween Horror Nights” event, beginning in September.

The terrifying “House of 1000 Corpses” mazes bring to life the movie’s offbeat roadside tourist attraction, Captain Spaulding’s Museum of Monsters and Madmen, and introduces guests to some of the country’s most infamous serial killers, including Dr. Satan, a demented surgeon who has gone mad.

Without a moment to catch their breath, guests will venture to the chaotic home of the Firefly family, a sadistic clan of psychotic killers, where the psychosis deepens and the depraved thrive. It is a chilling journey into the netherworld of terror that weaves its way through a cavernous network of dark tunnels within the bowels of the house. Populated by the degenerate victims of Dr. Satan’s debauched operations, legions of tortured creatures shuffle about as Dr. Satan continues his twisted medical practice, eagerly awaiting a new installment of victims.

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror movies, television shows and original stories come to life season after season. The terror bleeds to the streets of the parks with highly-themed scare zones, littered with menacing scare-actors lunging from every darkened corner to torment, terrify and scare “Halloween Horror Nights” guests.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins Friday, September 6 in Orlando and on Friday, September 13 in Hollywood. Additional details about the events will be revealed soon. Tickets for “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort are on sale now. Visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com for more information and to purchase tickets.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Fun fact: this will be the 3rd version of the maze to be featured at HHN in hollywood! The first version came in 2000 when the film was first supposed to come out (but Universal later backed off releasing d/t the gore), the 2010 3D version, and now this version.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:46 am

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release with details about the specialty tickets and R.I.P. Tours that will be available during this year's Halloween Horror Nights.

HHN RIP 2019.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood ups the “Halloween Horror Nights” scare factor by tenfold this year and offers fans exclusive ways to maximize the terror with a variety of specialty tickets, including the premium R.I.P. Tour and must-have multi-night Frequent Fear passes.

“Halloween Horror Nights” begins on Thursday, September 12 with an exclusive first look Fan Preview Night, which features a limited number of tickets and the chance to explore this year’s 10 terrifying new mazes.

Opening night and event dates are: September 13-15, 19-22, 26-29; October 3-6, 10-13, 17-20, 24-27, 31; and November 1-3, 2019. Advanced purchase is recommended as event nights will sell out.

The new R.I.P. Tour offer groups of up to 12 a chance to scare in style and features exclusive access to “Halloween Horror Nights.” Helmed by a VIP Guide, R.I.P. Tour guests will be treated to unlimited Universal Express™ access to all mazes and attractions as well as reserved VIP seating at the Jabbawockeez show, private VIP trolley transportation to the backlot mazes, exclusive interactive themed photo ops and a special tour of the Universal backlot, gourmet buffet dinner at the exclusive VIP Dining Room & Lounge, access to exclusive lounges for drinks and desserts, and complimentary valet parking.

For fans who just can’t get enough, a series of multi-night Frequent Fear passes is also available. Guests can choose from four different Frequent Fear ticket options:

• Ultimate Fear Pass: scare every night of the 32 day event, including a ticket to Fan Preview Night
  • Fan Preview and Frequent Fear Pass: 26 select nights including Fan Preview on September 12
  • Frequent Fear Pass: 25 select nights
  • September Pass: 11 select nights throughout the month of September
Visit Hollywood.HalloweenHorrorNights.com for more details and to purchase tickets.

“Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse guests in a living, breathing, three-dimensional world of terror inspired by TV and film’s most compelling horror properties. Following is a list of this year’s wicked line-up:

• “Us,” an all-new maze based on the blockbuster film from Universal Pictures and visionary Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Jordan Peele
  • “Ghostbusters,” Sony Pictures’ classic 1984 film comes to life for the first time ever in this all-new maze
  • “Stranger Things,” based on seasons 2 and 3 of Netflix’s critically-acclaimed supernatural thriller
  • “Killer Klowns from Outer Space,” the popular 1980s horror sci-fi film lands at “Halloween Horror Nights” in this all-new chilling maze
  • “Creepshow,” inspired by the 1982 cult classic horror movie and Shudder’s all-original anthology series
  • “Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man,” inspired by Universal’s original cinematic monsters and the movie studio that invented the horror film genre
  • “House of 1000 Corpses,” inspired by Lionsgate’s 2003 cult classic film and directed by multi-platinum recording artist and filmmaker Rob Zombie
  • “Holidayz in Hell,” an all-original maze featuring demented versions of everyone’s favorite seasonal celebrations
  • “Curse of Pandora’s Box,” an all-new original maze based on the twisted Greek mythology tale
  • “The Walking Dead,” Universal Studios Hollywood’s permanent attraction inspired by AMC’s popular television series
  • The Jabbawockeez award-winning hip hop dance crew returns by popular demand with an all-new, high-energy performance created exclusively for “Halloween Horror Nights”
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:56 am

bostonlva wrote:according to screamscape, USH has apparently been sending out a guest poll asking about guest thoughts on making the backlot tour an “up-charge attraction”
http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_hollywood.htm

It sounds like they are not taking out the tram tour from the regular admission, but they are trying to sell the nicer backstage tour that is part of the VIP Experience as a separate add on.
I love to roam where the wild things are.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:38 am

SoCalJasonland wrote:
bostonlva wrote:according to screamscape, USH has apparently been sending out a guest poll asking about guest thoughts on making the backlot tour an “up-charge attraction”
http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_hollywood.htm

It sounds like they are not taking out the tram tour from the regular admission, but they are trying to sell the nicer backstage tour that is part of the VIP Experience as a separate add on.

depending on price, that's really the part of the vip tour i'm most interested in. getting out and exploring an indoor set, and being able to walk around some areas in the backlot.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!