TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

USA park tour route

I'm planing on going to America in 2006 (from England) I dont know anything about America so planing a route is REALLY hard, I have so far been asking people for help in the ask Avley forum but as it does not support pictures I've had to use this forum to show people my cheap and nasty map I have made I dont know how accurate it is so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have about a month in the US and can travel anywhere by car in that time, I will be starting my trip in NY and then travelling to the parks indicated on the map, I'm planing on ending up at California but my trip could take me anywhere so I'm open to as many suggestions as you like

I guess so far I will need about 1.5 - 2 weeks to do the places on my map route, how accurate do you thing that estimation is given that I want to got to the water parks and spend a couple days at the big theme parks

Thanx in advance for any help you wish to give, if you would like to see the help I have had in the ask Avley forum check out the post titled 'I have a month in America, what can I do with it?'

map.JPG.ea50013d5b64dae8df80636b35967dcb.JPG

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^Nice use of the Six Flags Map!

Anyways, just seeing that prelim route, I'd tell you to skip SFDL, unless you're going up to see Niagra Falls. You'd be much better off hitting up some of the other parks that you'll be near on that route.

Elissa "you can't even get the kiddie credit at SFDL!!!!" Alvey

I would suggest flying into Boston. That way you can hit up SFNE (Its about 1.5 hours outside boston), and Lake compounce (Home to Superman Ride of steel (the better one) and Boulder Dash respectively). This might work better than flying into NYC and going straight to Great Adventure. Also, this might be a better route if you choose to skip Darien Lake. Also, Lake Compounce is a small park, so you could spend half a day there and use the rest of the day to travel. Plus i believe they have free soda with park admission (or they did last year). Great adventure is about 3-4 hours drive from lake compounce, probably closer to 3, and Lake Compounce is about 1 hour away from SFNE. Also, if you are going to hit up hershey, you might want to think about going to dorney park on the way. It migh help to pick up a seasons pass from dorney, because as far as i know, you can use it at Cedar point and Guaga Lake. But i could be wrong there. Dorney is about 1 hour from Great adventure, and hershey is about 1 hour from dorney, all pretty much on the way if you are traveling west. Thats pretty much the extent of my expertise of the North East parks.

Rob "less then 2 weeks before my coaster season starts!" D

^^Nice use of the Six Flags Map!

Anyways, just seeing that prelim route, I'd tell you to skip SFDL, unless you're going up to see Niagra Falls. You'd be much better off hitting up some of the other parks that you'll be near on that route.

Elissa "you can't even get the kiddie credit at SFDL!!!!" Alvey

.. You dont like SFDL? .. its small but atleast it has Superman:ROS, and that is one of my favorite coasters... I think that Darien Lake is very small and nice...

WOW! Thanx for everyone’s reply! I've been wrestling with your parks and ideas and here are my changes to the tour!

I showed my girlfriend the map I had made so far and she was not happy with the lake Darien as it’s a bit out the way, considering she wants to go on a nice straight(ish) line to California, so I've dropped SFDL (shes seen the falls already)

To compensate I'm meeting her in Boston and hitting SFNE 1st, I'm then also going to Dorney park and getting the pass I can also use with Ceder park and knotts berry. my girlfriend also complained about the cost of all this, so with the use of the six flags pass and the CP+Dorney pass it should make things cheaper.

Alot of the smaller parks that people have suggested look great, however as we have limited time and money we wont be able to see all those little gems, its sad but I will have to miss out on them

I've also extended the trip to SFGAmerica but from here I'm not sure what direction to go in, as you can see on my map theres not many six flags parks between great America and California.

I looked at Microsoft Streets and Trips (demo) to help me plan and time things abit better but it doesn’t seem to want to work

Ok these are the things I need help on now,

1. If I drove between the parks in the early morning would I still have time to see the whole park and have a fun day or would I need a day of just travelling between the parks and a day at them?

2. I'm having to miss out many parks to keep the girlfriend happy, she likes parks but I'm going to have to find some nice things for her to she, shes into famous places and tourist attractions, any ideas near my line? If anything’s nearby we could check it out on a day travelling between parks

3. My route from SSGreatAmerica to California, I dont have anything much planed for this part of the trip, I know once I get to California theres loads of parks there but what about in between? I think Vegas will be a definite place to visit

4. I have passes to all six the flags parks, Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, Worlds Of Fun in Kansas City and Geauga Lake. I want to make the most of the free parks I can get in to but what are the best ones near to where I'm travelling to?

Ok thats it for this reply I hope you like the new map powered by six flags, again thanx for everyone’s help!!!

2.JPG.1505dfe7eb8e0beee702be564cc2aa44.JPG

First I would suggest doing the driving the night before so you can insure getting to the parks for opening. Always a smart thing.

I've noticed that the majority of Six Flags parks can be done in 6 - 8 hours if you are there for opening.

After Six Flags Great America in Chicago I would strongly suggest just going down to Six Flags St. Louis then continue south to SFOT and possibly SFFT. Then hit the 10 straight out to CA. You avoid having to go through the heart of the Rockies.

Another route is to go from there to SF Saint Louis, World of Fun, and SF Elich Gardens. Then to bridge the gap between there and LA, there is always Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon.