TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney in Hong Kong

Hi all...

Me being the Disney addict that I am I vist my "home park" Disneyland Resort Paris about 10 times a year.

I guess many on this board might go for a closer park, like WDW or DL... And we all know some people here who have been to the Japan based Kingdom....

With the Hong Kong park opening soon are there any of you planning a visit to that one. I know I would love to... but I guess the $$$ would put the stops to that... So how about you guys (and girls)

And to just give you a little boost you can check some pictures (some exclusives) on this link. http://www.dlp.info/Guide/News-And-Rumours/Specials/HongKong-Disneyland-Construction-01.asp (hope it's OK to add this here)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We actually have no real desire to go seeing how it's kind of like "Disneyland Light Edition" but it turns out we might accidently make it there towards the end of the year. We'll see, I'm hoping it will be a nice park if we make it there!

Elissa "I like the train too!" Alvey

I like it, that they build a new Disney Park, and what I see up to now is really good. However, it is unfortunate that they only offers a few attractions. It is what Elissa said, a "Disneyland Light Edition". I miss Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, it's a small world and Haunted Mansion. These are attractions for me that belong to a Disney Park, but I think I will visit the Hong Kong Disneyland in the next year.

--Soeren

Hey yall-

Hong Kong Disneyland looks like a nice addition to the Disney theme parks! The only thing I have a problem with is the lack of rides. Hong Kong Disneyland will only have one "E-ticket" ride at the opening, and that's Space Mountain. I mean it's good that they are thinking ahead for a "Phase 2" Project, but I mean, the original Disneyland had more "E-ticket" rides than the Hong Kong one will. With all of the money Disney has, don't you think they should spend a little bit more, just for their parks to be a bit more exciting? Also, nice aerial photos of the park. It looks really good.

-Brent

^ Actually no.

Disneyland opened with only 1 so-called (at the time) E-tickets. That would be Jungle Cruise.

If you want to go as far to say that JC is an E-ticket, than HKDL is opening with 2.

Disneyland opened with:

DLRR

Main Street Cinema

Main Street Transportation

Jungle Cruise

Mark Twain

Stage Coaches

Mule Pack

Carousel

Peter Pan

Snow White

Tea Cups

Canal Boats

Mr. Toad

Space Station X-1

Autopia

Circarama

The stage coaches and mule pack didn't even last a year.

Although they did add 8 new attractions in '56, 4 in '58 and the Subs, Monorail and Matterhorn in '60. So they certainly didn't sit around and do nothing.

We have to remember that Disneyland has had 50 years to get their current line-up. Magic Kingdom almost 35. Epcot almost 25.

You don't open a park with everything, although I will agree that they need more at HKDL. Maybe not another E, but more C and D attractions at least.

Here is a cool Disneyland timeline for those interested:

http://www.disneydreamer.com/history/timeline.htm

I like it, that they build a new Disney Park, and what I see up to now is really good. However, it is unfortunate that they only offers a few attractions. It is what Elissa said, a "Disneyland Light Edition". I miss Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, it's a small world and Haunted Mansion. These are attractions for me that belong to a Disney Park, but I think I will visit the Hong Kong Disneyland in the next year.

--Soeren

Isn't Disney saying (somewhere) that the Hong Kong people are more exited about meeting the characters, taking walks and having picture moments..... ??? I Don't know about that. It will be something to look out for and see what happens. If there are not enough E-Ticket rides, will the people stay away? Or will Disney be right and will the park be packed from day one (it seems that the bookings are going well...)

If you haven't seen the pictures yet, chek them out http://www.dlp.info/Guide/News-And-Rumours/Specials/HongKong-Disneyland-Construction-01.asp

(I know this was a cheap shot at a plug to the page, but come on.. we are so proud... give us that...)

It's a diferent market - the thought is guests will want live entertainment, walking/garden areas and more characters. If that does not prove to be the case, more attractions can be added easily. I'm hoping to visit it sometime next year possibly with a side trip back to Japan (I miss TDL already!)

Hmm.. Sometimes I feel like I am in the minority - but I really didn't dislike the WDS. As far as HKDL goes it may be a bit lacking in attractions but it seems to be overall well rounded with entertainment, really decent theming (imho almost paris level of detail in some parts) and a few well themed resorts. Throw a decent starting mix of attractions in there and I think it will be a success.

This thing is gonna go the same way as DCA(Which I LOVE). People are only looking at it for whats being currently built, and not the possibilities of what it will become.

For example, if you were to build the original Disneyland as it was when it first opened today somewhere else. People would say it looks like "Light Disneyland." But then you look at all the stuff Disneyland has added and all it's done to improve and you go,"Oh, hey, these parks have some potential." SO I'm not gonna judge the park right now since it hasn't had time to grow into itself.

Rock "Still thinks DL should build a new castle..." MacDaniel

You are right to a certain extent. People who have been to the other parks are going to compare it and are probably going to have that opinion. However this park is targeting a market that has not been to a Disney park at all and for the most part have very low expectations of what a theme park should have. If you look at DSP it is being compared to DLP which is a ornate and beautiful park - that is why it gets such a bad rap. If it was built independently in a market without Disney parks I have a feeling it would be received better.

I think it is just as good from a quality standpoint - it's just different. The art i've seen of the gardens and walk though areas rival some of the most beautiful at DAK. The theming in the shops and restaurants rival DLP and TDS in their detail. The entertainment will be fuller and more involved than any stateside Disney park upon opening. The only thing it's lacking is sheer numbers of attractions - but it's in no worse shape than DL, D-MGM, DAK or DCA when they opened. If the attendance warrants it you will see attractions going in there at light speed.

^Yeah, thats what I mean,t they don't have as many attractions. What they have there looks really great from what I've seen, there just isn't much. No doubt it'll be a nice park and will draw crowds when it opens, but will gardens and shows be enough to bring people back in order to generate the incentives to add more rides is my question. Oriental people are really strange, so maybe it will, but I just can't see the park being a return destination.