What's your favorite Flat ride?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nobody beats the Ziz

Re: What's your favorite Flat ride?

Postby canadianparkfan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:10 pm

edgeboy wrote:I do still love an Enterprise. Paratroopers, Calypso, Space Rollers. Also Shake/Magnum, and I always manage to have a good time on Storm.

Scat is also more intense than it looks.

Fighter has a good "whip" effect.

I've only been on it once, but I never forgot my ride on High Roller:

There is a carnival that is in the middle of refurbishing perhaps the most legendary flat ride of all time: the Chance Turbo. Would love to finally get on one of these! Unbelievable to think that Belmont Park in San Diego had one of these operating.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but as far as I know, the turbo you mentioned was deemed a lost cause, and hasn't been redone yet :(

Fortunately, chance is still making zippers (one of my favourite flats). Will be really interesting to see how the new open air seats hold up (let's hope they're worth the wait... Larson switched to open air cars on super loops nearly 20 years ago. Wonder why chance took 2 decades to catch up and do the same with their zippers?).

If the zipper 2.0 project goes well, I'm really hoping we'll see a park model zipper down the line (would be better than the park model super loops, that's for sure :lmao: ). Maybe we'll even see a brand new turbo be built?...

Seems like chance is really on a roll lately between their new coasters and their re-entry into the flat ride market.
Top 5 Steel Coasters:
1: Le Vampire, La Ronde 2: Mindbender, Galaxyland 3: Tie: Behemoth, Canada's Wonderland -- Goliath, La Ronde 4: Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland 5: Skyrider R.I.P. :(, Canada's Wonderland

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby theredskull84 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:49 am

no_brain_er wrote:Okay, so this is actually my first post in a long time, but I figured this thread might be the best place to ask.

I've been trying for quite some time now to find out more about a flat ride that was featured in an old VHS tape I used to have called Awesome Rides. If memory serves me correctly, the ride was called the Tumbler, and it looked absolutely bizarre. Here's a clip of the beginning of the video that I found on YouTube (the ride in question appears briefly at the 1:16 mark):

I also think I might have found something similar, maybe a modern predecessor, on a used flat rides website. Other than this, I don't know anything about this ride. I've even been thinking about buying the VHS tape from Amazon and finding an old VCR to try and find out more about it. Does anyone at all remember this, or am I going crazy?

(Also, to keep this post relevant, I'm a total sucker for Tilt-a-Whirls.)

Holy crap! I haven't seen that video in almost 20 years! And I totally remember thinking the same exact thing about whatever that ride is. If I remember correctly, they do show a lot more about it later on. Now I want to watch lol

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Location: 2 hours and a border crossing from the nearest theme park, Cedar Point.

Postby TheJewelOfJool » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:13 am

Huss Swing Arounds. Klockwerks at Canada's Wonderland was very fun.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:59 am

coasterexpert101 wrote:Flyers at Knoebels. I haven't been on another flying scooter ride anywhere else that came even close to these.
Looper at Knoebels. Such a fun and unique ride.

Anything at Knoebels! But especially the flyers. :)

Also, just rode it at my local fair but the Zipper is still probably my favorite flat ride even though I've never seen one at a theme park. I think it would be sick to have a theme park version of the Zipper, but part of the fun of that ride is how janky some of the fair versions feel. I always inevitably have a conversation with someone about what would happen if the door came open, or if one of the seats got flung off the ride. I've never heard of a Zipper accident but there always seem to be ferris wheel accidents (I was actually in one).
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:17 pm

^^ Canadianparkfan -- WOW, thanks for helping me learn something new today -- The Roller! I've seen a few images of that model ride, but I wrongfully assumed that the [____]-shaped structure stayed put. Talk about some wacky maneuvers and directional changes!

Once I passed my teenage years, my nausea tolerance fell off precipitously and for good. That said, the best flats for me are the S&S Screamin' Swings with short cycles. I know that lots of people would prefer a few more swings, but I'm essentially at my threshold on the quicker cycles, and I appreciate the relatively brief ride duration.

The Zamperla Giant Discovery is the best flat I've ever done -- very intense and powerful, but the long cycle and spinning makes each lap a Pyrrhical experience for me.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:08 pm

My favourite flat ride is the Tilt-A-Whirl! Whether they're at a fair or an amusement park they're just plain fun! The Eyerly Monster comes at a close second and the Mack Calypso comes at a close third! :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Riddler Revenge @ SFOT (and probably any giant frisbee)
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:17 pm

Some of my favorites that aren't listed in my signature:

Zumanjaro
Zipper
Kangaroo
Downdraft
Sky Scraper
Larson/ARM towers
Air Race
Intamin 1st generation drop rides
Anything made by Eyerly is also really cool.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Dollywood, Cedar Point
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Skyrush
Top 3 Wood Coasters: Voyage, Lightning Rod, El Toro
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Zipper, It
185 coasters

I ask dumb questions.

Postby djackson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Huss Top Spin
Larson SuperLoop
My Home park is Six Flags America
Coaster Count: 80 (I'm getting there lol)
Top 10: 1.I305 2.S:TR 3.SkyRush 4.El Toro 5.Valravn 6.WindexCyanide 7.B:TR 8.KK 9. Mineblower 10. Volcano
Instagram:kvng_coasters
YouTube: Kvng Of Coasters

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:23 pm

My all time favorite flat ride.

Bigger is not always better.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!