First time Germany trip... Tips?

Car travel, must-do parks?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Ask us a question about trip planning, coaster videos, rodent encounters or donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: First time Germany trip... Tips?

Postby Hhappy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Wooden coaster at Walibi is getting a RMC do-over at the moment.
Depending on when that opens it might be worth a visit.
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:54 am

^I believe it's supposed to open July 1?

Postby Hhappy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:05 am

^yeah my bad. Just looked and they are still aiming for july 1st indeed
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:03 am

Bummer, be about two weeks too early!

I think we have decided to skip Walibi to gain a full day back to fit in other stuff... Maybe next time! Still planning on Efteling and Toverland, though.

Now the classic, annoying question... How are crowds at these parks early June? Most of these parks we will be at between June 3-8th (Mon-Fri), including Europa which now is Thur/Fri (6/7th). Holiday Park will be on Saturday as of now, mid afternoon to evening per Robb's recommendation.
-Steve

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 am

Just curious about the side trip to Switzerland. looks like a specific stop but I don't recognize the town name for any historical significance, as it seems to add hours to your route. I don't see beer as the reason for this side trip.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Invertalon wrote:Bummer, be about two weeks too early!

I think we have decided to skip Walibi to gain a full day back to fit in other stuff... Maybe next time! Still planning on Efteling and Toverland, though.

Now the classic, annoying question... How are crowds at these parks early June? Most of these parks we will be at between June 3-8th (Mon-Fri), including Europa which now is Thur/Fri (6/7th). Holiday Park will be on Saturday as of now, mid afternoon to evening per Robb's recommendation.

Crowds shouldn't be too terrible. The closer you get to July the more busy the parks get. Expect "light to moderate crowds" depending on the days of the week you are there.

Postby Invertalon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:46 am

larrygator wrote:Just curious about the side trip to Switzerland. looks like a specific stop but I don't recognize the town name for any historical significance, as it seems to add hours to your route. I don't see beer as the reason for this side trip.

No specific spot in Switzerland, as of yet... Just a placeholder in the routing. Perhaps something like a cable car up into the alps to an overlook or something of the sort. Just depends what we find! If we do go, we plan to stick near the German border and not venture to deep into the country (to save on driving and such). So basically, details TBD!

robbalvey wrote:Crowds shouldn't be too terrible. The closer you get to July the more busy the parks get. Expect "light to moderate crowds" depending on the days of the week you are there.

I was hoping that would be the case. We will plan to get any express/fastlane options if need be wherever they are offered, but not too worried about it. Appreciate the heads up!
-Steve

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm glad you started this thread, because it can also help me a lot! I've been wanting to go to Germany for some time and my significant other and I are seriously considering it for this summer after I graduate grad school. Neither of us have ever been to Europe. We've gotten almost nowhere as far as dates and plans go, so I don't have many specific questions yet.

Ironically, theme parks are not my #1 plan guider right now. I've been a fan of this German band for over 10 years and it has been my dream to see them live. I'm waiting to find out more of their tour dates before I solidify a time and place window for our trip. I think we'd definitely hit some of the same theme parks you mentioned around the concert, so your guys' suggestions are still helpful to me!

I'm also glad to hear that driving is a suitable option for transport. I heard many rental cars in Europe are manual. I kinda know how to drive stick. Has this been any of your guys' experiences? Like would I have to get a lot more comfortable driving manual if I intend to rent a car in Germany?

Also, any tips for booking flights (like which airports are cheapest to fly into and best times to book) and lodging (I've heard hostels are a big thing?) are helpful!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Pedrinho » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:54 am

Invertalon wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
Invertalon wrote:It appears Holiday park can be a short visit… How about Toverland and Efteling? Are those full-day parks or just a few hours?

Here's some notes....

Holiday Park - If you're only going to spend a few hours at that park and your schedule allows for it, GeForce really does warm up later in the day. I've had some pretty "meh" rides on it earlier in the day and some HOLYFUCKINGSHIT rides on it later in that same day.

Toverland - Great park! Lots of fun. You probably only need a few hours though. Depends on how many re-rides you like to get on coasters.

Efteling - Has a lot of attractions. Many of which I find decent, but totally overrated. However the park can get VERY busy and I don't believer they have rolled out their front of the line pass very widely. A handful of rides do have single rider lines. This is probably a full day park simply because there just isn't a way to get through many of their attractions that quickly.

Great info, thanks. I will be sure to try and push our stop at Holiday Park a bit later in the day. Toverland does look like a lot of fun, we are excited for that one. As far as re-rides, unless something is crazy off-the-walls, a ride or two will likely be just fine and I/we need.

If you like to meet up with some German members, we live only 45 minutes away from Holiday Park and plan to have season tickets this year. We're also in Europa Park after Easter. Just PM me. Perhaps we may make it happen! :)
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster|Karacho; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee|Raptor|Monster; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick; >200ft: Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|Hersheypark

Postby Invertalon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:02 am

Pedrinho wrote:If you like to meet up with some German members, we live only 45 minutes away from Holiday Park and plan to have season tickets this year. We're also in Europa Park after Easter. Just PM me. Perhaps we may make it happen! :)

Awesome, will keep in mind once we firm up some things!

Another side question for those in/around Germany... As far as navigation goes, is using phone navigation such as Waze good enough to get around the country? Or is it worth me buying the dedicated GPS maps for Europe for my Garmin? Debating on if I really need to or not, seeing how awesome the Waze app is for navigation (here in the US at least!).

Also, we may or may not add in Tripsdrill after Holiday Park on the way to Munich. Looks like a quirky little park. Any thoughts?
-Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Ask Alvey