TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

East Coast / Chicago trip advice

medoman

I'm organising a halloween time trip to Lake Compuce, SFNE, SFGAdv then flying to Chicago for SFGAm and a trip across to Cedar Point.

Booking various things at the moment and I'm wodering if anyone could sugguest somewhere to stay between SFNE and SFGAdv. I'll be visiting SFNE on a saturday when it closes at 23.00 and SFGAdv opens at 1100 the next day. After leaving SFNE I don't mid driving for a couple of hours in the right direction, but I'm not sure where the best place to stop and sleep would be, Avoiding New York traffic for the trip to SFGAdv the next morning would be preferrable too.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done this particular trip, but these are my two home SF parks. To best avoid NYC my route would be from either {I95 or Rt15/Merritt Pkwy} to I287 (Cross Westchester Pkway across Tappan Zee Bridge to NYS Thruway). And then taking Garden State Parkway down. There are shorter, theoretically quicker routes through the city, but I just prefer keeping to the outside of it.

For the night, if you can handle a 2.5+h ride at night I would consider somewhere around Spring Valley/Nanuet/Pearl River. Then you have easy access to the Parkway for a quick ride down.

If more like a 2h drive is about your limit for the night, I would consider something around Stamford to Greenwich CT if coming in on 95, or around Purchase NY if coming in on Rt15/Merritt. You'll of course have more of the city to deal with in the morning, but there are worse times to drive than Sunday AM.

Some dependence of course on your budget and if you're a morning or night person.

Where does Lake Compounce fit in? Sounds like a fun trip, I really enjoy each of the parks you're hitting up!

Thanks for the advice! If they're you're home parks I'd be more than happy to meet up at one or more of them. Lake compuce will be on Fri 24th, SFNE Sat 25th and SFGadv on the 26th.

It's a bit crazy with Travel but sadly the parks are only open at weekends, but they are all decorated in Halloween stuff which makes them even more interesting. This packs in the most coastering possible in the time I have off work.

I fly to Chicago on the 30th and have an evening at SFGAm (It's randomly open on a thursday so allows a bonus day) Drive to Cedar point for Friday evening, do Saturday at Cedar point, stay somewhere midway between the 2 on sat night and have a 2nd day at SFGAm on Sunday. The last leg is going to be a bit killer but I'm an A&E Doctor so used to working long sleep deprived antisocial hours!

Sure thing! Sounds like a great time, I would try to budget for a flash pass or two, those will be some heavy crowds! I'll be hitting up SFNE one of the Oct weekends for frightfest, will definitely shoot you a message if it ends up being that Sat.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a good deal on a hotel in Stamford, will get up early to get to SFGAdv in good time!

I'm mostly going to ride coasters but may take in some of the halloween haunted attractions too if they're any good.

One of the main things I'm wondering is if the six flags halloween extras are worth it? are they significantly different from one another or mostly the same. I've already decided to do lake compounce's haunted graveyard as it sounds pretty interesting as a 45 min long maze, but I haven't decided on the other parks yet, will probably do cedar point's ones if the queues aren't that bad.

I'm also wondering about fast lane/flash passes. which parks will they be required for? now that the halloween stuff is open in cedar point do crowds move towards them or are coasters always busy? I was already thinking of getting fast lane plus for the saturday at cedar point as it seems better value than the friday, though I may try my luck at plinko or the tweetup thing I've heard about.