TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

honeymoon plans

robbob1991

I need help planning a honeymoon in America visiting big theme parks. Me and my girlfriend had been dating for 4 and a half years and I asked her to marry me looking over the gardens at alton towers, and she said yes (obviously). Before this, we first met at Thorpe Park and spent every free weekend at UK theme parks. So theme parks are a major part of our life. So we plan on honeymooning in America visiting theme parks.

We're not the wealthiest of couples so please consider that. We originally planned just to go to florida for 2 week, but everyone seams to do that so I want to make it original and special just for us.

Any input would be very much appreciated, even more would be a 2 week plan of what to do!!

Thanks, Robert Allen

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North America has a wide arrange of parks in lots of different places. Could you share a bit more about your tastes?

For example, would you prefer parks with atmosphere and theming, or are you more into coasters? Do you want to go somewhere with a certain climate, or do you want to avoid a certain area? Do you prefer to stay in one hotel/city/state or drive around a bit?

Were more into a friendly atmosphere park. We do want to ride bigger and better coasters then in the UK, and has to include a good few good woodies. The only good woodie that's been built here in the last 20 years is megaphobia at oakwood and we both really enjoyed that. Blackpool ones are fun but not very intense.

We plan to go late October time, preferably to a warmer climate then the UK, fed up of rain and cold over here. It is going to be our first big international holiday together aswell. The past few years we have just been camping around England so trying to make it as special as possible.

Were more into a friendly atmosphere park. We do want to ride bigger and better coasters then in the UK, and has to include a good few good woodies. The only good woodie that's been built here in the last 20 years is megaphobia at oakwood and we both really enjoyed that. Blackpool ones are fun but not very intense.

We plan to go late October time, preferably to a warmer climate then the UK, fed up of rain and cold over here. It is going to be our first big international holiday together aswell. The past few years we have just been camping around England so trying to make it as special as possible.

For the majority of US parks In late October, only parks in Florida and California will be open every day. Regional parks outside of those states will have limited operations Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. And those parks will be extremely crowded due to the popularity of Halloween Events. Flash Pass (Six Flags parks) Quick Queue (Busch Parks) and Fast Lane (Cedar Fair Parks) will be a necessity.

If you want good woodies and parks close together, I'd go with the East Coast. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Phoenix (Knoebels). Plus Busch Gardens Williamsburg has very nice landscaping and theming. Then you can add Dorney Park, Six Flags New England and Hersheypark for you share of good steel coasters.

If you want to get a good view of the relative location of the parks, you can use coast2coaster.com

If you want good woodies and parks close together, I'd go with the East Coast. El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Phoenix (Knoebels). Plus Busch Gardens Williamsburg has very nice landscaping and theming. Then you can add Dorney Park, Six Flags New England and Hersheypark for you share of good steel coasters.

If you want to get a good view of the relative location of the parks, you can use coast2coaster.com

He would never be able to do all this in late October.

I know you said you wanted to do something other than Florida because "that's what everyone does", but I gotta be honest, if this is your first real international trip, you're looking for a warmer climate, in October, and you're looking to hit some of the bigger, nicer parks, you're not going to find a better option than spending a few days at Walt Disney World, Universal, SeaWorld, and Busch.

I know you said you don't have a lot of money, but I would really look into do a nice, long, resort stay at either WDW or Universal. I think in the long run, you'll thank yourself for biting the bullet and spending the extra money to stay at the resort.

After all, it's your honeymoon.

Edited by robbalvey

After having a longer think about it, and even planning out how we would manage to do a tour down the east coast (and possibly include a few romantic nights in new york), were now beginning to sway further and further towards staying in one hotel for the 2 weeks in Florida, and possibly renting a car to get us around if its included in the package. i could see spending a lot of our honeymoon driving and changing hotels as we move from park to park not as relaxing as spending it in one location.

We will defiantly plan to do a big American tour one day in the future before we have kids, we have talked about it quite a lot over the past few years. Iv just spent the last 3 hours trying to plan one, and it all looks easily possible for us, with the distance between parks being reasonable.

Right, so we have now settled on Orlando Florida, can anybody recommend any hotels what would be perfect for a honeymoon, either on or off resort? iv looked online and I'm liking the look of the lodge at animal kingdom up too now.

Right, so we have now settled on Orlando Florida, can anybody recommend any hotels what would be perfect for a honeymoon, either on or off resort? iv looked online and I'm liking the look of the lodge at animal kingdom up too now.

Budget and personal interests is always something to take into consideration when staying at one of the resorts. I would stay away from the "value" resorts, unless your budget dictates you need to, as they are much better than staying off property.

As for the other resorts, we really like...

Boardwalk Inn (our personal favorite and it's roller coaster themed!)

Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savannah views are fantastic!)

Wilderness Lodge (a nice alternative to the other MK resorts)

Port Orleans (a very nice moderate resort!)

For Universal we have stayed at Royal Pacific and liked it quite a bit.

• 1 month later...

Robb is obviously the expert on Orlando but I did want to add one small thing here so you don't make the same mistake we did when we traveled to Orlando for the first time this month.

I would stay away from the "value" resorts, unless your budget dictates you need to

If you do absolutely need to stay at a value hotel, there are a lot of cheap options on I Drive... but for the love of god do not under any circumstances stay at the Metropolitan Resort. This has to be the worst hotel in America. It was so terrible that we ended up eating the cost of the hotel room and staying at the Courtyard Marriot across the street (which was very nice by the way). Don't stay here ever, not even as a joke.