TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios VIP Tour

dusty588

Hey there. I am planning a trip to Southern California at the end of March/early April 2015 with my parents (their first time there). I was in Anaheim/LA for 10 days this past July and loved it! I went with my cousin, his wife and their to kids. We did Universal one day. I think one day is enough to experience everything. I'm wondering if anyone has given the VIP Tour a shot. If so, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth the cost?

Thanks!

Dustyn

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Universal Hollywood isn't a huge park so it shouldn't be too hard to do the entire park in one day.

I have only done the HHN VIP Tour but from that experience Universal tours are pretty great. Getting the more in depth tour of the backlot and prop room would be worth it for me.

Universal Hollywood isn't a huge park so it shouldn't be too hard to do the entire park in one day.

I have only done the HHN VIP Tour but from that experience Universal tours are pretty great. Getting the more in depth tour of the backlot and prop room would be worth it for me.

I think one day is enough. When I went, I think I went on every ride, some several times each, and saw a couple shows. My parents would probably go on everything but The Mummy. We were also considering going around Halloween (we LOVE Halloween!) but we're also going to San Francisco for a couple days, and going to WrestleMania 31 in Santa Clara. I've also been to San Francisco, fun place.

If you can afford it, I think the VIP tour is worth it. Nice continental breakfast when you arrive, an amazing gourmet lunch buffet, plus the WAY more in depth backlot tour. You get to walk through a soundstage for Parenthood, the prop warehouse, and as many of the backlot sets that are not occupied for filming. Last time I had the chance to do it, we got to walk out on the European streets and get a 1-1 photo op with Norman Bates at the Bates Motel.

If you can afford it, I think the VIP tour is worth it. Nice continental breakfast when you arrive, an amazing gourmet lunch buffet, plus the WAY more in depth backlot tour. You get to walk through a soundstage for Parenthood, the prop warehouse, and as many of the backlot sets that are not occupied for filming. Last time I had the chance to do it, we got to walk out on the European streets and get a 1-1 photo op with Norman Bates at the Bates Motel.

Sounds like you had a great time! About how long was the tour? Did you do rides while on the tour, and did you have much time afterwards for going on your own? How many people were in your tour?

^I've done the tour twice, and agree with everything that's been said above. It's definitely worth the expense, especially if you visit on a busy day when the unlimited front-of-line pass comes in really handy.

The guided portion of the tour lasts about 7 hours, including the in-depth backlot tour, the shows, and all rides. Depending on park hours and the time your tour starts you'll have some time left over at the end. If the park is only open 9-5 you won't have much time left. But when I took the tour in mid-June last year opening hours were 9am-10pm and the tour started at 8:15, so we had plenty of time to re-ride (including Transformers 8 times with 5 min fast lane wait compared to 100 min standby wait!). Group size was about 12 people from memory.

The backlot tour includes everything that "regular" guests see (i.e. King Kong, Jaws, and until recently, the terrible dancing cars) and you'll get to get out and walk around a bit (although where this is depends on whether other productions are using the lot on a particular day). I will add that the quality of the backlot tour definitely depends on your guide. I've had one guide who I'd rate a 9/10, and another who was closer to 2/10.

^I've done the tour twice, and agree with everything that's been said above. It's definitely worth the expense, especially if you visit on a busy day when the unlimited front-of-line pass comes in really handy.

The guided portion of the tour lasts about 7 hours, including the in-depth backlot tour, the shows, and all rides. Depending on park hours and the time your tour starts you'll have some time left over at the end. If the park is only open 9-5 you won't have much time left. But when I took the tour in mid-June last year opening hours were 9am-10pm and the tour started at 8:15, so we had plenty of time to re-ride (including Transformers 8 times with 5 min fast lane wait compared to 100 min standby wait!). Group size was about 12 people from memory.

The backlot tour includes everything that "regular" guests see (i.e. King Kong, Jaws, and until recently, the terrible dancing cars) and you'll get to get out and walk around a bit (although where this is depends on whether other productions are using the lot on a particular day). I will add that the quality of the backlot tour definitely depends on your guide. I've had one guide who I'd rate a 9/10, and another who was closer to 2/10.

Thanks for the info, very helpful! I think when I was there this past July, we only went on Transformers once, waited an hour!

^$349? Think I paid closer to $250, and that was only 6 months ago! I did get a discount for being a Club TPR member though.

I thought the price was around $250 a while back. Maybe they've added to the tour, or just decided it's time for a price increase!

• 3 weeks later...

We did the tour on president day 2012 and it was so worth it! The shows great, the guide holds your bags while you ride. When your waiting to go on the tour make sure you visit the bathrooms for the gold fixtures and wonderful artwork. The breakfast was unexpected surprise and the lunch was to die for. If I can find the photos I will put up some of the lunch buffet. I would do again