TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

East Coast Trip 2013

Hriscay

Howdy,

I'm planning on taking a trip along the east coast next month to see both New York and D.C. I plan on driving to try and save some money, but this will give me the opportunity to hit up several theme parks during the trip. My current plan involves leaving my home city of Houston, TX on a Friday and driving to Charlotte, NC where I will spend the night with relatives. My Saturday leg gets me to a hotel near Six Flags Great Adventure. I then plan on seeing NY on Sunday and being at Six flags Great Adventure on Monday and Tuesday. I will leave that afternoon and drive to D.C and then visit it all day Wednesday.Thursday will be spent at Six Flags America, but then I am back to Charlotte NC where i will visit Carowinds on Friday. Finally i will continue on to Atlanta on Saturday and Visit Six Flags Over Georgia that night and all day Sunday. I will then drive back home.

I have several quick questions...

1. Is this doable?

2. As you can see I have only allowed myself maybe 5-6 hours at Six Flags America, is that enough time to easily hit everything?

3. Would Carowinds be worth getting the Fast Pass since i am visiting it on a Friday. Are any of these parks worth getting the passes on the day i visit?

4. On my drive up on Saturday I would reach my hotel around 4pm, there is a route that could easily take my by Dorney Park or Hersheypark. Would I be able to ride all the rides at either of these parks if I got there when their "twilight" special's start?

5. What should I be most looking forward to? I think it's either EL Toro or Afterburn,though I've never ridden a Flying Coaster.

6. Got tips on how to see NY in a day? I've been to D.C. so I'm confident i can show my dad most of it in one day, but have no clue on NY.

Thank you in advance for helping me out. I plan on posting a full review of my trip on here. I have never been to any of these parks and living in Texas I don't know when I will get the chance again. I'm trying to ride as many roller coasters as i can to hold me over for awhile since my city no longer has its Theme Park, RIP Astroworld.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help with parts of that.

For Six Flags America, you should be able to hit it all in 4 hours, especially if it's during on the day. The water park should be very busy but the park not so much. I'm basing that on our visit on a Tuesday about a month ago.

I'm no expert on Hersheypark since I've only been there once. However we got there for twilight on a Sunday night and were only able to knock about half of the park. Since school is still out, I'm betting you won't be able to do it all. You probably will be able to at Dorney.

If you want to get all the coasters at Carowinds, I recommend a system. Get there first thing and go straight to Nighthawk. The line quickly backs up and if you don't get it first thing, you might have a 1-2 hour wait. Next head back to the main plaza and start to the right. Everybody wants to hit Intimidator so you can usually knock out Vortex, Ricochet, Hurler, Carolina Cyclone, Goldrusher and Cobra pretty quickly. Get any re-rides you want while you are there. Then head to Thunder Road, Afterburn, and then Woodstock Express and Flying Ace Aerial Chase. That leaves you back at Intimidator where you can get it in.

Fridays are hit or miss, but odds are you may want a Fast Pass since it's often a busier day when school is out. Vortex and Hurler usually set the stage. If they have more than a 5-10 minute wait, you'll probably want a fast pass if you don't want to spend all day at the park waiting in line. Don't base it on Ricochet because it's low capacity and always has a line regardless.

Arby, thank you for your response. I have decided to go to Dorney park because it is a little bit closer to our hotel in trenton than Hershey Park. Also thank you for your advice on Carowinds. It seems that my father will not be joining me at this park, he wants to spend the day by myself, do you happen to know if Carowinds has single rider lines for any of the rides. I most likely will pass up the water park so i would assume by 2 pm the theme park will not have as many people by then. I will wait until I am there to make sure if the Fast Pass is needed and use Vortex and Hurler as a good basis for if i need it. Once again thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.