TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Credit cards in Tokyo Disneyland

nemesis20

Hi Robb, (or anyone else who's been to Tokyo recently!)

I'm going to Tokyo for a while in a few weeks, and i've heard stories that Japan is a 'cash only society'. A couple of websites say that Tokyo Disneyland only accepts Japan credit cards and not Mastercard, Visa etc. How did you manage your money when you were there? Was it really a case of carrying a bag of money around?

Thanks

Nemesis20, UK

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no problem at all using my Mastercard & Visa at Tokyo Disneyland.

However, very few of the other parks take credit cards.

I did find that my debit card worked just fine to get cash at "select" ATM's.

For example, the Citibank ATM (cashpoint) in Shinjuku worked great, as did ALL of the ATM's at the post offices (which are all over the place.)

But your local ATM in most 7-11's and AM/PM mini markets in Japan did NOT work with my US debit card.

Most larger restraurants, hotels, etc also took my Mastercard or Visa card.

Of the locations we saw that took credit cards very, VERY few took AMEX and none of them took Discover.

--Robb "Hope that helps!" Alvey

It certainly does help thankyou! It's mine and my boyfriends first trip to Japan so really don't know what to expect. One other thing - is the subway really crowded in the morning or is there a good time to get it to avoid the crowds? (gonna have to use it to get to Disney for 4 days and around Tokyo) Or perhaps the JR lines are less crowded? Sorry to bombard you with questions!!! Sardine trains = :shock:

I actually didn't find the Tokyo subways to be as crowded as the horror stories I've heard.

If you are used to the London Underground, the worst I saw in Japan was very much like rush hour around Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, King's Cross, Embankment, etc.

Either lines, JR or the subway, worked just fine, of course the JR lines are included with your pass (if you are getting a JR Rail Pass) but I wouldn't worry too much about crowds.

--Robb

I honestly can't think that the trains in Japan can be any worse than those in europe when they are packed... There just isn't a physical way that you could pack anymore people into some of the trains I have been on. I have actually let several trains pass before because they were just too damn full to even get on. I guess it is kinda a stereotype about japan probably.

Rob that last bit made me think of the Futurama episode where Fry goes in to buy the lightspeed briefs and all the credit cards are gone until they hit "Oh I'm sorry sir we don't take Discover"... LOL

Seriously though do they use SmartCards there?

^^ That might depend on the time year, though. It might be more crowded in the summer due to tourists.

If you want to experince a really uncrowded subway, go to LA. The only drawback is that it isn't that useful, it doesn't even go to LAX.

^ Perhaps, but it most countries, rush hour is rush hour...meaning mostly businesses, etc.

For example, my drive on I-405 every morning isn't any busier in the summer versus winter because of tourists.

I've been in a LOT of different countries during different parts of the year, and yeah, maybe the trains could be more crowded, but I don't see them being THAT much more crowded....Like Ken said, there becomes a physical limit of people that can be packed into the trains....but then again, Japan is known to have "pushers"

Taken from: http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~lpark/japan/japan.html

This is not considered to be crowded by Japan's standards.

During rush hour, there will be pushers (no, not drug pushers) who will push people around and into crowded subways. It was really exciting for me to see one. They wear uniforms and work very efficiently.

Honestly I have seen some pretty scary things on rushhour subway rides on various trips to europe. I've seen some crazies who would actually push in enough to get the doors to close then just rest against them until it got to the next station... If I see that I just wait in the station...

Doesn't quite compare but still... I never want to be that close to other people...

BTW do the Japanese trains have all fold seats? Or during these bad times are people actually being forced on top of the seats?

This is not considered to be crowded by Japan's standards.

During rush hour, there will be pushers (no, not drug pushers) who will push people around and into crowded subways.

Oh my god :shock: I'm claustrophobic, i'm gonna die!!! I can't cope with london underground i lasted about 2 mins before i freaked out and got off 7 stops early and walked 6 miles. That was in the summer though. Looks like i'll have to take extra cash for taxis, brave it, or cancel the whole damn thang lol

^ Taxis are very...VERY expensive.

Look, my advice would just be to plan NOT to travel on the subways between 7:00 and 9:00 and between 16:00 and 18:00.

I think you should be fine if you plan your day around that.

--Robb

Yeah gonna have to do that, but that means getting to Disney a bit later than i would prefer. Do you remember if theres anything to do for 2 hours before the park opens (like if i got there for 7?) I had anticipated it might be a problem for me - it's not like going to Orlando or anywhere else where you can get buses, cars, etc to wherever you want. As far as i'm concerned the subway is a waiting room, undeground, on wheels, with no air, and no escape! :shock: Maybe the Japan network isn't that much underground though?

Guess i'll just have to queue that little bit longer for Pooh's Hunny Hunt!