TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Conference Call Details, 6 Parks Possibly For Sale

^That first quote would matter if people really mattered in Santa Clarita, but firstly, the city is run by Newhall land, not the people. Newhall land's headquarters happen to be across the street from City Hall. Coincidence? I think not.

Secondly, SFMM is not a part of Santa Clarita. Santa Clarita city limits end at the Old Road, and do not include SFMM. Los Angeles county wouldn't give it up...they make a killing in taxes off of SFMM. So of the little influence that the average folk actually have in Santa Clarita, very little would apply to SFMM.

This is what happens in most cases, SFMM or not. Houses are developed outside of the city limit, and then aquired by the city within a few years, so as the City's jurisdiction and regulations will not apply to the developers.

-Jahan "SC is a sad little town" Makanvand

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trying to make six flags a family park will defineatly take time. but you don't start with adding family rides, and selling off parks, you start off with adding better employees. six flags wants a better atmossphere, but they should start with their employees. instead of hiring just anyone, hire more people who enjoy their work. of course six flags has those employees, but its the employees who have an attitude are the ones you remember. start off with that and then see how it effects the atomsphere. also clean the park and make security tighter. get rid of flashback, psyclone, dropout, and all the other rides that have not been operating, or operating well.

I really agree with this. There are plenty of people that would love to have jobs there, and a lot of buisness is about people.

SFMM can barely hire enough of those employees that hate their job to keep the park running! They definitely dont have the room to be picky about who they employ!

As a matter of fact, we have to resort to contracting international labor, simply to fill the vacant positions.

-Jahan

I am still researching the (founder's) name, but I believe the owner of Hallmark is quite wealthy and can financially purchase at least one (or several of the parks). Avg. annual revenue for Hallmark? $3.699 Billion

The website to log in is currently down for maintenance, but here is the link:

http://www.hoovers.com/hallmark/--ID__40196--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml?cm_ven=PAID&cm_cat=BUS&cm_pla=CO1&cm_ite=Hallmark_Cards_Inc

Oh ya and its still not a for sure thing it just a thought so dont go around freaking about SFMM will be sold.

When I first heard about it, I thought it would just be sold to another Theme Park chain, but the majority of people are saying it will be closed down as the land is very hot.

-Martyn

Is there just a big wait and see attitude happening out there? We are dealing with some of the biggest news in (NorthAmerican) modern rollercoaster theme park history. The possible shutting down of many parks, all is quiet here. Has anyone heard anything from TPR staff regarding there opinions on the matter? I am hoping they have some words of wisdom that will make everything ok again.

Oh ya and its still not a for sure thing it just a thought so dont go around freaking about SFMM will be sold.

When I first heard about it, I thought it would just be sold to another Theme Park chain, but the majority of people are saying it will be closed down as the land is very hot.

-Martyn

A lot of people have given up hope on saving SFMM. But there is still a pretty good chance that SFMM will not be torn down. Remember there is still 70% of the season left, plenty of time to turn things around with the attendence. After hearing about the news, a lot of people are planning to go to SFMM, in case that is their last time. This could help SFMM significantly. Besides, it costs a lot of money to get rid of everything in the park, and Six Flags can't afford to spend even more money just to get rid of a park. SFMM would then still haunt SF because they would have to repay the debt of SF.

P.S. Don't give up your hope, just because others are giving up theirs

"electric" Exon owns the land sfmm sits on Six Flags just rents the space

No.

-Joey "still want to know who makes 100 grand a year with a high school diploma at SFMM" Mandel

Oh, I have my opinion!

There's what I want to happen, and what I suspect will happen.

Let's just say that if I got my way, we would throw the biggest goodbye to Six Flags Tragic Mountain party ever!!!

.. a monumental party certain to draw visitors from across the nation... if not the world...

Joey - duh, everyone knows working in a theme park is lucrative and very specialized!! Just cause you ain't cool enough to work for SF anymoe doesn't mean you need to hate!

- Joe, who bets Del Holland doesn't make much more than $100K, $150 tops

Oh, I have my opinion!

There's what I want to happen, and what I suspect will happen.

Let's just say that if I got my way, we would throw the biggest goodbye to Six Flags Tragic Mountain party ever!!!

And what do you suspect will happen?

I suspect that money talks, and as long as the park keeps making money the way it does they won't sell it.

If for whatever reason they do sell it, I can see them selling the park as a whole to a random company that will continue to run it as a park.

The last option I see would be to give it the Astroworld treatment. I really don't see that happening but I'd love to!

If Shapiro can't transition Six Flags Magic Mountain into a "family park" (which is nothing more than marketing B.S. If SF decides to call it a 'family park" tomorrow; guess what? It is.); he's too inept to run a Dairy Queen let alone a theme park company. There's no reason SFMM can't transition. This park is prints money and has a good land footprint. (One time value realized by an asset sale hurts the long term viability of Six Flags as a whole.) He was hardly the wunderkind at ESPN that people make him out to be (Cold Pizza? Playermakers? The only success he saw at ESPN was poker).

I'll miss you Six Flags. The electric company will turn the lights off when Mark and Dan forget.

He didn't say he couldn't turn SFMM into a family park...he just said it's prohibitive to do it with SF's current financial situation, especially with the world's first/greatest family park (DL) just down the road.

It comes to a point of cutting losses, and SFMM is a loss to Six Flags and their new image at this point.

SFMM is a loss to Six Flags and their new image at this point.

The obvious thing to do, then, is to de-brand MM. Give it some new sub-brand aimed at total thrill seeking while the rest of the chain goes family/theme/pseudo-mouse.

Matt