TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Conference Call Details, 6 Parks Possibly For Sale

All Shapiro cares about is the money!!! His heart isn't into what the people think!! He could care less about us!

Im gettin so sick of the business point of views!! What about the peoples point of views!! We go to the amusement park to go and and have fun, to not worry about lifes problems and be care free for a day!!! To enjoy some rides on coasters that bring thrills and enjoyment into our lives!!! They want to take that away from us!! Shapiro doesn't give a flyin rats ass about people! All he cares about is payin off some depts at the peoples expense!! He completely dont give crap who buys it either or if some damn land developer buys it and tears em down for some damn houses!!!!! Just the mear thought of that seriously pisses me off!!

Go ahead tear down all the theme parks, amusement parks, water parks and places for us to go and enjoy and lets see how much life gets worse!!! We need those things and places to help us get through some of the crap life throws at us! And Shapiro is launching a huge load of flamin crap from a trabuchent aiming right at us!!

I see your point, but Sharpio isn't trying to hurt us, he's trying help everyone he can. Sharpio's main concern for right now is to make the people who have invested in the Six Flags company happy. I'm sure Sharpio does not necessarily want to see SFMM be turned into a real estate development, but he doesn't want to turn away a huge opportunity either. Besides it is still way too early to tell what he is going to do. We never know, he may decide to let another theme park company have it and do what he could not with SFMM. He may not even sell SFMM at all. We just don't know right now, only time will tell

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Map2 do you know how many people would be angry if this all happend? i know we are jumping the gun here its just this info should have never been made public if its causeing this much of a uproar in the coasterlover crowd. The complaints are going to keep being posted untill the day we hear for sure whats going to happen. "all and all i would love to take my 4yr old neice to the park cause i want to train her to be a coasterlover like her uncle is" To be honest the staffing is so bad due to the fact they are targeting high school students not the ones in the local collages. Osha has not tightend the rules in years about the age a person has to be to operate a rollercoaster i do think the age should be over 18 yrs old.

^ being 18 has nothing to do with it. Look at knotts for example. But they should hire people who actually care about the job.
when i worked there gnome i had to chew out alot of slackers cause i was doing all the work while they stood around on the midway my sups did nothing if not hire sups who will fire people on the spot that are not doing there job

I think it's time we all put to bed the "maximize profits for the shareholders" arguments. Truth of the matter is, that's only part of the story. A good CEO's job is to operate the company to best complete its mission statement, in order to maximize profits for shareholders. Considering Six Flags Magic Mountain is the 3rd. most profitable park in the chain, I can't see how selling it accomplishes entertaining families. Shareholders know the risks they get into buying a public company. Stock price doesn't suffer because they're doing too good of a job, which will see attendance and customer spending increases as a result. Daniel Snyder has decided to see Six Flags a real-state holdings company rather than a theme park operator. "Family Park" is a euphemism to stop spending major capitol on coasters. Like I said in a previous post within this thread "pursuing strategic options" is corporate parlance for a fireside sale or merger (read about KKR). Make no mistake. These parks are for sale. Apple Computer was damn near sold to IBM and Sun on 3 separate occasions, while they denied at the time talks were even happening. You do this to satisfy the SEC and not sabotage morale within the ranks.

Six Flags Magic Mountain became a thrill park the day marketing decided to call it as such. Perhaps if Shapiro & Co. added half a dozen flat/dark rides and staffed them perceptions would change. Maybe they should send Mr. Six, a beloved character by many patrons of all ages, out there to tell people they're family friendly. Sorry, despite my love for comics; the Justice League hardly screams bring the kids for a full day of family fun. Instead, they decided to use the rowdy teen excuse to try and capitalize on the local real estate market value. SFGAdv. has many of the same perceived problems as SFMM, yet they're not on the list. Coincidence? Nope. Central Jersey farm land can't command the price that greater Los Angeles can.

Unless someone gets Snyder & Co. out of Six Flags before the vultures circle for scraps; this company is done.

As I said before:

"I would love someone to sit-down Kieren Burke for a lengthy interview and get his SotU on SF. I would be interested in hearing what the industry power-players as a whole have to say. I actually liked what Burke brought to SF. He had vision and guts. I give him a large credit to reinstating the modern coaster revolution with his purchases. Kieren's downfall was he tried expanding too fast, and met his waterloo in Ohio (SFWoA). Perhaps had he not tried to make all the Funtime parks into megathemers overnight; SF as a whole would be buying Paramount instead of Cedar Fair (the fact Shapiro said he didn't even look at their books raised HUGE flags in my mind. The Paramount Parks are winners on the books despite my feelings on their coaster roster). When you stop trying to grow your business by exploring acquisitions/buyouts, you basically send the signals you're throwing in the towel. "

Again, read about KKR. You'll see Redzone/Six Flags all over it.

Mark bit off more then he could chew when he took this job i know he is a former Disney & Espn exec but he has no clue how to run a theme park company its just that simple. if this deal goes through i see the fall of six flags as a whole. "Shapiro go back to disney and leave the thrill parks to somone who can run them "

Tiburon:

I hate to say it but I think you may be right on the money here.

I really really hope we are proven wrong though. Only time will tell. Unfortunately per the words of the chief economist of Los Angeles county economic development corp.

a 250-acre block of land like the one Magic Mountain sits on is rare in Los Angeles and would be very valuable, said Jack Kyser, chief economist for the Los Angeles Economic Development Corp. Another theme park operator is always a possibility, but some of the deepest pockets in real estate are in residential, and the most need in the area is for industrial and office buildings.

"This is going to be very interesting," he said.

Ventura County Star:

venturacountystar.com/vcs/county_news/article/0,1375,VCS_226_4799341,00.html

Tiburon:

I hate to say it but I think you may be right on the money here.

I really really hope we are proven wrong though. Only time will tell. Unfortunately per the words of the chief economist of Los Angeles county economic development corp.

a 250-acre block of land like the one Magic Mountain sits on is rare in Los Angeles and would be very valuable, said Jack Kyser, chief economist for the Los Angeles Economic Development Corp. Another theme park operator is always a possibility, but some of the deepest pockets in real estate are in residential, and the most need in the area is for industrial and office buildings.

"This is going to be very interesting," he said.

Ventura County Star:

venturacountystar.com/vcs/county_news/article/0,1375,VCS_226_4799341,00.html

Unfortunatly that's what they said about Astroworld. They said the propertly could fetch upwards of 150 million dollars... Yeah right. They got 77 -20M or so for demolition and the land is sitting empty. 2 Miles from the Houston medical center across the street from the dome and stadium would seem like a good buy.

Mark bit off more then he could chew when he took this job i know he is a former Disney & Espn exec but he has no clue how to run a theme park company its just that simple. if this deal goes through i see the fall of six flags as a whole. "Shapiro go back to disney and leave the thrill parks to somone who can run them "

I'll bet he could post in complete sentences, though.

Honestly, I don't see any of this coming to fruition. Sure, I can see them selling Eltich Gardens and Darien Lake (Hell, I could even see them selling Fiesta Texas), but the shareholders are bitching about the SFMM possibility. Their stocks have gone down 20% in the recent days following the announcement, no way can they follow through if their stocks keep falling.

Bad decision. Selling SFMM would be the stupid way out as well - it'd make Shapiro look just as bad as the old higher-ups.

I'm going in September just in case they decide to close it, if not for anything but one last ride on X and Tatsu.

Come on now. Just as a courtesy, please use proper punctuation and actually use capital letters when starting a new sentence. Some of the posts now appear to be "lazy" and I find it difficult to follow what the person is actually saying. Just take a couple of moments to look over your post(s)-please. Then others won't ask what you are saying and repeat each other over and over. Just as a common courtesy. I don't feel it would be right to "call-out" any specific name(s) here, because they already have posted their comments.

Check #4: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21962

And apparently some of them do not even take time to read the rules that Robb/Elissa post on the site....lol

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21962

Ok guys, let's stop this from becoming a flame war.

Coasterjunkie: Please try to make an effort to use better grammar. Capitals and complete sentences are a big plus.

Everyone else: Be cool and stop making personal attacks.

If it gets out of hand, the mighty lock will hit this thread.

^ Well, I don't think it's any good to stress about it now. There are absolutely no firm plans in place at all. The park is not sold right now, and freaking out about it now is EXTREMELY jumping the gun.

^^If they're smart, yes, if they're the old SF management, Hell no.

I think someone should make it an internet rule not to talk about your mom on a public web forum.

That applies to me as well. It just seems very out of place.

Especially when, on the same page in the same thread, you mention what your grades in high school were, leading one to assume you're a wasteoid.