TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Conference Call Details, 6 Parks Possibly For Sale

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of SFMM's rides would be a real pain in the ass to move to another park. They're all built for the custom topography and would require excessive modification, or would flat out not work at other parks. Ninja comes to mind...

There are a few that would work though... Scream, Batman, Riddlers to name a few. If the park does get sold, I could see those being moved to other parks.

Assuming that 6F does sell the park, I don't think it would be torn down. That is just an assumption, but consider the cost of removing the infrastructure and rides if a developer purchased the property. The chain could remove the ride(s) and place them in the remaining park properties, but that also could just be speculation, because nothing is final as of yet. The chain is just considering the idea (but, I hope they do sell it because that would become a good revenue boost for the future of the park chain).

I believe another park chain or investor will actually purchase the park and make do with what is current and change things according to their own philosophy. There is a vendor out there (park operator/investors) that I am quite positive would be willing to step up to the plate considering the market it is located.

Anyone interested in the management's philosphies and strategies you can download them off their corporate (section) website and also read about SEC filings and that could give you some hints on the direction they "appear" to be going (emphasis on satisfying their shareholders).

I think that, while it would be a shame that I'd have to pay to get into Magic Mountain, it may be a good thing FOR MM that it would be sold. If SF is advertising to families, then the big croud for MM will go away. MM is a thrill park. It's got very little family attractions compared to the other SF parks. If the park is sold and is continuously run by someone else, they will continue to advertise it as a thrill park to the teens.

....or maybe I'm just rambling.....

like i said before EVEN IF this is true, CF or someone else will buy it. think about it CP and SFMM are competitors when it comes towards roller coasters. if CF buys SFMM, this will generate more money for CF because now they have wiped out their biggest coaster competitor, and that is one less competitor out there.

yeah sure if CF buys out MM they will give dorky names to the rides like batman, superman ,scream, ninja, viper, deja vu, goliath, riddlers revenge but it wouldn't be too bad

I'm going to pray every night that Magic Mount doesn't get torn to the gound

I don't care if it is sold, but I don't want it torn to the ground

I don't want Ceder fair to buy Magic Mountain. But I would like to see Buch Gardens buy Magic Mountain, Didn't Buch Gardens want to buy the park when the chain was up for sail earlier thid year?

I think Buch Gardens would be good.

But Cedar Fair already owns a park in SoCal. And apparently, they own one in NoCal, now, too. If they bought MM they would own most of California. Disney wouldn't buy it. Universal might, but I doubt it's up to their standards of theming and landscaping. Busch would be awesome because Sea World is so far away from Los Angeles and it'd be great for them to get a park closer to LA. They might want to throw in some animals, though. Those don't do so well in the desert.

Magic Mountain is way to big to be torn down. Big in size and popularity. It's even in countless films. Not to mention the historical relevence of Revolution....

Here's an idea, let's all chip in and have the first theme park nationally owned and operated by enthusiasts......

OK - someone needs to learn about the business world.

if CF buys SFMM, this will generate more money for CF because now they have wiped out their biggest coaster competitor, and that is one less competitor out there. MORE MONEY MEANS NOTHING IF IT IS NOT REVENUE. REVENUE - OPERATING COSTS = PROFIT

wow!! this really surprises me.

i can see why sfgadv would lead in attendance, but im not so sure how sfgam brings in the most money. my only guess could be that they are both within driving distance of a large metropolitan area, but SFMM is within a large metroplitan area too SFGAM SELLS THEIR SEASON PASSES AT A HIGHER PRICES GENERATING HIGHER PROFIT. EVEN IS SFMM ATTENDANCE IS HIGHER, REPEAT SEASON PASS VISITORS DO NOT BRING IN AS MUCH INCREMENTAL BUSINESS AS FAMILIES

VISITING ONLY A COUPLE OF TIMES

besides he probably wont sell SFMM just because of the history, movies made here, first park to have a looping coaster, first park in america to have a coaster that goes over 100 mph. IN THE WORLD OF BUSINESS THIS MEANS NOTHING. IF PROFITS CAN BE MADE BY SELLING THE LAND TO A DEVELOPER AND THAT PROFIT IS MULTIPLE TIMES HIGHER THAN THE ANNUAL PROFIT OF AN AMUSEMENT PARK IT MAKES SENSE FOR MANAGEMENT TO CONSIDER SELLING.

^ You don't get it, Six Flags wants to sell Magic Mountain. It's not like they're doing this because they need to. Shapiro said he doesn't feel it fits in with their new brand strategy.

Besides, it's far from a done deal, no use raising a stink just yet. Who knows, maybe they won't find a worthwhile buyer.

F**k Six Flags for wanting to sell one of the chains biggest and best parks. They can't tear Tatsu down already! I already changed my mind about Shapiro being a good thing for Six Flags just for thinking about selling SFMM!

^ You don't get it, Six Flags wants to sell Magic Mountain. It's not like they're doing this because they need to. Shapiro said he doesn't feel it fits in with their new brand strategy.

Besides, it's far from a done deal, no use raising a stink just yet. Who knows, maybe they won't find a worthwhile buyer.

wes give us a guess on what the park might be worth if the citywalk plan santa clarita is working on is built? maybe 700 million tops

I think this will bring a huge uproar in the amusment buissness.If the park is torn down or dismanteled.I work at sfmm and i know many people that love there jobs more then life and will stand infront of a tractor or a crane and not allow anyone or anything to touch this park.I dont think shapiro understands why housing is in demand in valencia,its because sfmm is there many buissnessis relly on this park and many peoples lives do to (workers and so on).It depends if shapiro wants a quick buck or wants to get that cash and more in the upcoming years.

imo i think the park has turned around alot.the only thing that sfmm needs help is with is staffing they need to hire more people not just enough to opperate the rides for the month.

And if it comes down to this park being torn down i promise everyone here that i wll be stannding at the front gate not allowing them to touch anything.

~CHRIS-O

Magic Mountain is great....but I don't think it's the best park in the chain... and I don't think alot of families think it is either. Especially in SoCal where they can easily drive 20 minutes to get to Knott's or Disneyland and then there's Magic Mountain about and hour or so away.

Don't get me wrong. I love MaMou, but I can see why they want to get rid of it.

I think this will bring a huge uproar in the amusment buissness.If the park is torn down or dismanteled.I work at sfmm and i know many people that love there jobs more then life and will stand infront of a tractor or a crane and not allow anyone or anything to touch this park.I dont think shapiro understands why housing is in demand in valencia,its because sfmm is there many buissnessis relly on this park and many peoples lives do to (workers and so on).It depends if shapiro wants a quick buck or wants to get that cash and more in the upcoming years.

imo i think the park has turned around alot.the only thing that sfmm needs help is with is staffing they need to hire more people not just enough to opperate the rides for the month.

And if it comes down to this park being torn down i promise everyone here that i wll be stannding at the front gate not allowing them to touch anything.

~CHRIS-O

thats 2 employees standing up any more?