TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best (and worst) "Sounds" on a coaster

Speaking from a maintenance point-of-view, I always loved the 'sound' of a rollercoaster(s). From the air-pressure sounds of the braking systems (especially Arrow-caliper brake systems) to the sounds of the rollback dogs, sounds are important in detecting any issues a the ride.

What are your favorite AND least favorite "sounds" on a coaster (wood or steel).

Example of Mine:

Favorite: The Big Dipper at SCBB. It may have changed in recent years, but the sound of the rollbacks had a distinctive sound like the Rhumba or a band playing the steel drums. Also, I love the way most of the wooden coasters in PKD sound (especially Grizzly) and the "roar" of Kumba (BGA).

Worst: the irritating wheel noises coming from Anaconda (PKD). Not only did the high-pitch sound give me a headache, but I noticed that the oil filler for the (3!) wheels on the train were EMPTY...nice maintenance PKD..lol

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst sound: Colossus @ Thorpe Park. Crash, boom, bang! It sounds like its about to rattle itself apart.

Best: B&M's of course have awesome sounds. But there are also some "classic" sounds which I for some weird reason like, like the sound on Vekoma/Arrow coasters as the train disengages from the lifthill.

I also love the sound of when the train gets to the top of the lift on Arrows and Vekomas with that rattle that gets faster as you crest the hill.

I also love the sound when on a Vekoma Boomerang when the train goes up the second spike and the chain pulls it up then disengages it with that huge hiss noise than *bang*.

I love the roar that B&M coasters make, specifically Hulk at IOA.

I second that. I'll also add Nitro's lift hill. The sound of that appeals to me for some odd reason.

As for the worst....hmm, I'll say the screeching sound of Wicked Twister launching. Ouch.

My Favorite sounds are when the Schwartzkopf Shuttleloop lets you know when the fun is gonna hit. The old Clank of the breaks letting go right before you get catapulted to 55 mph. Good times.

Worst sound - When a Vekoma Boomerang is trying to catch on the chain after the forwards run. That clank clank clank clank, then the hum of the motor running the chain.

The sound of Tatsu or X's train going into or out of the station... the weird high-pitched whine is just really weird. I also love Tatsu's lift hill... it's like a series of small deep "clunks"...

Least favorite: The brakes at the end of any coaster... that means that it's over!

Uh, I love love love The sound of a LIM coaster launching, any LIM, but especially Impulse's. I love that High pictched squeak.

And the sound of olf Arrow and Vekoma coasters hitting the friction brakes.

I really don't have a sound I hate. I guess if I had to choose one, it would be Hypersonic's brakes. WAY to loud.

Worst Sound:

Hypersonic's train wreck into the brakes

LOL! dude that noise I actually thought was like "brrrrrrrrrraaaap!" I liked it oddly. I don't hate it but it did get annoying standing in the 1.5 hour line for it.. 1 train op's my furry blue butt!

Favorite noise..any fresh brand new B&M like Hydra when that opened so smooth and crisp sounding.

I love the noise Mindbender (sfog) makes when it goes through it's loops.

I agree. I also like the noise when ninja @ SFOG engages/disengages the lift. I also like the sound of GASM chain on the way up the hill.

I hate the loud screetching noise Freefall makes when it hits the brakes. Sound's like a car hit a cat then ran into a pile of trash cans.

I LOVE the screeching noise during the double helix on "The Beast" and the "whoosh" you can hear from across the park as any inverted coaster goes through it's first loop!!!

I HATE any noise that comes from "Son of a Bitc.... I mean, Son of Beast" mainly because that noise is me and everyother person screaming in agony!

favs:

brakes...pretty much all of them

pneumatic motors on DL's Space Mountain...I love the 'kshhh kshhh' sound!

not favs:

standing on that path under the S:TE tower...hearing the first time was cool, but all the time is too much!

Arrow lift hills...they sound cool, but they remind me of working 12hour days at the Adventuredome! not something I wish to relive.

I LOVE the sound that Mind Bender makes when going through the 2 loops!

I also really like the sound of the cable being driven on TTD.

Oh, and the sound of Flight of Fear's LIMs. Heck, I love the whole entire sound mix of the launch of Flight of Fear!

For those who don't know, here's what happens:

1. the buzz of the LIMs

2. screaming riders

3. the roar of the train going down the track

4. and a low rumble (I don't know where it comes from, though!)

so freakin sweet!

As for the worst: the very loud screech Mean Streak makes around it's turns. It's sounds like someone scratching a chalk board!

I HATE any noise that comes from "Son of a Bitc.... I mean, Son of Beast" mainly because that noise is me and everyother person screaming in agony!

Amen to that!

Favorites:

B&M roars

The sound of the brakes opening on Premier LIM launch coasters and the subsequent launching sounds

Terrible sounds:

Hypersonic's brakes.

favs- For some weird reason i really like the sound of Superman (SFMM) going on the launch track.

worst- Pscyclone(SFMM) makes the most annoying sound that you can hear from the line. It sounds like hopefully it will all tear appart. To make it even funnier, the supports move A LOT from side to side when the train passes by!