TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best (and worst) "Sounds" on a coaster

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my Colossos at Heide Park makes the same sound, but El Toro sounds way more aggressive. And that's a very good thing

All Intamin wooden coasters make the "Intamin Fart" noise. Balder makes it as well and it is the sound of pure airtime. On any Intamin woodie, count the "Farts" and you have the number of airtime moments.

I like sounds that are heard pre-launch on Intamin accerators - the final lurch and "clunk" after the train rolls into position in the launch area, the hissing of the break fins dropping.....few coaster sounds do more to build anticipation IMO. I also like the classic clinking/clanking of the roll backs on woodies as well for much the same reason. On some coasters the anti-rollbacks are muffled and produce a dulled thunking noise which just doesn't have the same effect. In addition, there is the drawn out "whumph" of the launch of TTD that can be heard from quite a few spots in the park, which is a very distinctive sound.

The only sounds I'm not real fond of are the screeching noises you sometimes hear on woodies, especially when the train is negotiating a sharp turn. Also the Concorde-like roar of Superman at SFMM really gets old after a while, especially if you are really close to it.

I have mixed feelings about the B&M roar, though. From a distance it can be the sound that calls me like a siren song to come and ride (depending on the specific coaster, of course) but up close and when stuck in a line it can be deafening and quite annoying.

For non-coaster noises, I think the sounds made by S&S screamin' swings are some of the coolest....the huffing, puffing and roaring sound for all the world like some kind of huge creature monster! I could just see one of those themed to a dragon or something....

Best: Most B&M coaster's loud and soft roars, especially Kumba, Montu, Banshee, and Thunderbird!

Worst: Lightning Run's lift hill (and also any Vekoma flying coaster's lift hill as well).

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Ker-chunk!

Literally felt the jolt reading that.

This is somewhat of an oxymoron, but I like when a coaster is quiet enough to hear the sound of the car/train WHOOOOOOSHing through the air. Untamed does that when it goes down the drop. You hear the whoosh, and then it oscillates as the car goes up and through the loop. It's rather serene... well, when it isn't being marred by all the screaming. And then there's the way it just slowly stops when the magnetic brake are applied. "WHOOOOOOooooooshhhhhh-urp". So good.

IMO, silent beauty can sometimes trump theatrics. Though I don't mind the sound of a freshly-greased chain now and then.

^ an opportunist like me sees that as one of the best. Why? Cause the line clears out and when it reopens in 10 minutes you jump right on.

Not really. I was just in line for Rita with a 60 minute queue, and the announcement came on. The ride was down for 30 minutes, but we moved halfway though the queue (yay-ish) ten minutes later, the ride stopped again, and we stopped moving completely for another 45mins. It then took ages to get on as there was a massive line of fast tracks. That sound made a 60 minute wait into a 120 minute one. So in short, your logic is not always true.

Best: Old school B&M brake runs and kicker tires. A lot of sound.

Worst: Any old wooden coaster they refuse to lube any more. Metal on Metal screeching.

Alt Cat: Huss Enterprises. Not a coaster but I love me an Enterprise any day.

Lee

My favorite sounds:

-That B & M roar.

-The overall sound of an Arrow:the old-school clicking of the OTSRs,the chain lift,and some Arrows(it mostly seems like the mega-loopers) seem to have a low rumbling sound(as opposed to B & M's roar).

-The sounds of Premier launched coasters,mostly that popping "poof" before the actual launch(I'm not sure if it's the LIM's starting up or the brakes).

-The rattling of Intamin Freefalls.

And there is a sound I find annoying(but don't actually hate) is the metal-on metal screeching of some old woodies;Great Adv.'s Rolling Thunder was a serious repeat offender.

My favorite sound has to be Outlaw Run's airtime screech. It makes the ride seem very powerful. My least favorite sound has to be Mamba's brakes. They are extremely loud. You can hear the train hit the MCBR from anywhere inside Worlds of Fun and far into the parking lot.

^ an opportunist like me sees that as one of the best. Why? Cause the line clears out and when it reopens in 10 minutes you jump right on.

It works out in my favor if I'm towards the end of the line and the line ahead of me clears out only to have the ride reopen 10 minutes later. Was not the case this summer on multiple incidences on Joker; it would go down and not reopen for hours (if at all) when it was having its issues earlier this year. I imagine people felt the same struggle with Lightning Rod.

I agree with whoever said Falcon's Fury. You can hear that Eeeeeee-whoosh! from all the way across the park. And Kumba's roar....

I don't recall someone mentioning this yet, but I really dislike the grinding/rattling sounds RMCs make when they are first breaking in, an unhealthy-sounding metal grating on metal. Thankfully, it appears to go away over time and doesn't affect anything too much, but I disliked those sounds on Joker earlier this year.

The electric sound a B&M lift makes and how it winds down when the train disengages, while replaced by the distant B&M roar of the train going down the first drop. That's one of my favorite all time sounds. I also like the sound of Raging Bull when the train meets the lift chain. There's a really low level echoing rattle/vibration sound.

By contrast, I don't care for the obnoxiously loud anti-roll back lift hill sounds of the old Arrows/Vekomas. It's not so bad off ride, but really obnoxious when you're on the rides. Especially when you're on your back on a Flying Dutchman and staring at the bright sun, knowing you're going to feel like crap within the next two minutes.

Not really. I was just in line for Rita with a 60 minute queue, and the announcement came on. The ride was down for 30 minutes, but we moved halfway though the queue (yay-ish) ten minutes later, the ride stopped again, and we stopped moving completely for another 45mins. It then took ages to get on as there was a massive line of fast tracks. That sound made a 60 minute wait into a 120 minute one. So in short, your logic is not always true.

Well there's your problem. If a ride is still down after 15-20 minutes I'm not going to waste any more time standing in line. I won't do more than 30-45 minutes ever for any ride. A whole two hours? No effing way. On to the next one...