TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photography

Yea, I hadnt realized the old drummer retired. She almost could be her daughter, they have similar features and hair style/color. I just kept thinking "She looks WAY younger" Then got on my phone and confirmed that. Definitely a pretty girl but very, VERY talented. Great voice too.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me, the camera didnt do the bulk of the work here. Was a lot more technique involved with these shots.

WindSeeker HDR

Here's how I got this one:

3 photos of the tower BY itself. Just 3. I could have done 5 but the lights at the top were changing soon and I wanted to make sure all of them had the same color light. I then took a picture of the ride up in swing - just 1.

I processed the 3 photos through Photomatix Pro and then brought that into Photoshop. I then layered the the photo of the swings on top and changed the layer properties to lighten. Truthfully, I don't know what it did except it basically layered the two together perfectly.

Brought it back out of PS and into Lightroom since I prefer my controls there and finished my editing.

Voila, final product. HDR Windseeker. I think its pretty sweet.

_IMG_9801_Final_Medium.thumb.jpg.b464198d315119a86018b9315967b80a.jpg

WindSeeker HDR

^You love Windseeker don't you?

Great shot, I really like the feel of it.

Hey, it produces some nice shots! Actually, for HDR, I figured the mast would look really cool since its illuminated all the time by the lights above. Threw in the photo of the chairs and it came out really cool.

I have 2-3 others but lens flare killed them. Still working on that. HDR at night is pretty hard I've been told by a few pro's over on G+.

^ If you don't mid me asking, what type of lens and settings did you shoot that Windseeker shot with? I'm assuming you autobracketed those first three shots, correct...at -2..0..+2? And then possibly ISO 100, f/12, and 8 seconds for the last? Am I in the neighborhood there?

I've been reading up on HDR at night, and some of it seems rather daunting. You pulled that one off rather well though!

Auto bracketed yes:

-2 @ f/10 1.6sec ISO 500

-1 @ f/10 3.2sec ISO 500

0 @ f/10 6 sec ISO 500

The shot of the ride in motion:

Custom @ f/10 1/2sec ISO 250

I shot the first set in 500 by accident. I should have had my ISO down to around 250. I have been finding out that HDR at night requires you to under develop your shots. Too much brightness will get blown way out in HDR unless you control it there - which can be done.

You wont get the cool color bands if you shoot longer than about 2/3rds a second. 1sec and it all blurs together. Its gotta be 1/2sec or shorter.

I then processed that shot in all 3 programs for the end result.

Few more fun ones from a shoot a few days ago.

Currently renting a Canon EF-S 10-22 Super wide angle. Pretty fun to play with, not that easy to get photos just right. Gotta work sorta hard to get the angles down.

_MG_0005_s.thumb.jpg.fa7586a2ed81e071783ab84ada1f2cd2.jpg

Looked like common house fly from normal eye but looking at macro, who knows.

_MG_0016_tonemapped_s.thumb.jpg.9e11e1412168cfc108fbc92d39f92e6b.jpg

One more Carpenter Bee - this one finally was far more in focus. Little guy stood a lot more still this time. Even if the wind was pretty bad.

_MG_9901_2_3_tonemapped.thumb.jpg.78a4817747a565027bcfd161883d96f0.jpg

My place of work flanked by the Maumee River and the Highlevel Bridge in the distance.

_MG_9961_2_3_tonemapped.thumb.jpg.685137bbf5f2992929bf7355a79b7dae.jpg

Maumee Theatre

_MG_0117_18_19_20_21_tonemapped_s.thumb.jpg.d332ea8b333be8f78938ea1ac1246f49.jpg

Fun with framing.

I have not begun to sell yet. Not sure how it works. I have some clients lined up for pictures i took of their kids racing but thats it. Not sure which way i need to go yet. Thinking about freelance as a side project.

• 4 weeks later...

A few from this past weekend. Just enjoying the fall colors and such.

IMG_6059.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_5979.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_5905.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_6037.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_6042.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_6018.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_6040.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

Old Mill BW.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

And this one, which is a large panoramic stiched photo taken with a telephoto. About 15 images merged into one. Final image size was something like 14,000x6800, which had to be resized to upload to Flickr to about 5500 on the long end. Less then half the original resolution. Click on this photo and view "original" to see the nice resolution of the image. The original is amazing and plan to use this method more in future photos I take. The PSD file alone was around 2GB in size. The JPEG about 80MB.

Mill Creek Park Lake Panoramic by invertalon, on Flickr

I plan to do a lot more of it now, just seeing the results of doing it this time. This shot was more so a test, but it turned out really well is far as resolution and just coolness at full size. Sadly it needed to be cut down so far to upload, the original file is amazing.

The mill in color is alright... The light was actually quite harsh and I could not get the image to look how I wanted. I want to go back and get some more when the light is nicer, toward sunset. In cases like this when the light is too harsh I generally try B+W and other effects, to try and "save it" I suppose. Not the most happy with it, honestly, but it was not bad enough for me to delete. I knew the light was harsh when I took it, so I bracketed three images (-1 1/3, 0, +1 1/3) and tried to do an HDR to save it. In the end I just made it B+W and tried to bring out as much detail as I could. I may rework the color one next week and see if I can get it more to my liking.

The stitching is an awesome technique though! You definitely have to try it out. I wish I took another layer upward so the aspect ratio was not so "panoramic", but it still turned out really well. I am going to try this method on some other subjects hopefully soon. I may take the camera with me to CP this weekend and try it out there, but with all the people it may look a bit funny, as the same people would be in multiple locations. I will have to check it out though!

I do a fair bit of stitching just never tried to do it that way. I recently rented a 10-22 and that was a fantastic piece of glass. Too bad I wouldnt utilize it enough to warrant the price tag on it. I need to get out, do some more macro while we still have things with flowers and such on them. Another few weeks and itll all be dead.

For some reason I have this weird hatred for touching up my photos. I just have a weird quirk in my head that seems to say: If it doesn't look good when you take it, pphotoshopping it won't help.

Don't ask me why, just a weird quirk.

Anyway, this is probably my favorite LEGOLAND photo. Seriosuly, looking at this you have to do a double take.

Probably the most realistic looking Lego photo I've seen...

Well, if you use digital, your camera is altering it and processing it anyways. You generally cant stop it from doing certain actions.

On top of that, if you go back to original photography in a dark room, how could you get your photos from negative to paper? The act of using a enlarger and such would be considered "Post processing" since you control the output of the light on the paper. I did this in my first photography class.

Processing is essential. Its nearly unavoidable.

^Wow, your so smart. I thought he just meant he doesn't like to touchup his pictures.

Thanks for the sarcasm. Much appreciated.

I hear it a lot. Its admirable to try and get the perfect image out of the camera on just the first try but its really nearly impossible. I think its almost harder with digital as opposed to film. Film you have a better chance since you have more control. Quite frankly on digital you have less control (though you have more options) simply because you cant control exactly how the camera processes the image. Not all the White Balance situations work well. Even on the best cameras. Same for exposure and metering. I think my black and white stuff I did on film came out better out of my camera than some of my stuff does with all the fancy options I have.

Then again, I used a grey card and lots of other traditional things when I took my B&W images. I dont ever do that anymore. I just shoot it in RAW and let my program sort it out. I could do it before I shoot, but why?

Can I just say that I'm really happy you're back, Invertalon? Both your pictures and Real's pictures always draw me to this thread. They're simply amazing.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Real,

I loved my 10-22 when I had it! I was not big into ultra-wides for a long time until recently. When I got my 5D2, I had to sell my 10-22 and had a hard time finding a good replacement. The 17-40L was good, but the corner/edge performance was terrible. I found out about the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lenses and gave it a try and wow, blew me away! The sharpness is unreal at the edges for something so wide. And the price was only $300 for that lens… You really cannot beat the performance for the price. It has no electronics, so you have to manually focus and set aperture. But I just focus using hyperfocal distances and never AF anyway with it. You may want to look into that lens if you want something with amazing performance with a lower price tag.

You also hit it spot on with processing images. People think you “cheat” or something by editing afterword but it is simply a part of the process. White balance for one, is a JPEG killer. RAW images allow recovery of highlights and shadows, increased sharpness and the ability to really transform an image into your vision. Especially with the limits of dynamic range on digital sensors, RAW images are amazing for pushing levels to make them look as good as they can be. I would be lost without my RAW files!

It really is impossible to get the perfect image right out of the camera unless the light is just perfect in every way. There is always some type of adjustment needed to make the image look exactly how it appears when capturing a moment. I am not talking about editing every bit of the image either, just the smallest most subtle adjustments can make the image really pop and stand out. The end result is all that matters, though. My biggest correction is simply fixing the horizon line. I never get my images straight!

Edited by Invertalon

Some pics from CP this fall:

IMG_2070.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_7901.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_2100.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_7744.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_3563.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_3493.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_2142.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_7717.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_2052.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_2175.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_3416.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_3422.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_3536.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

IMG_3542.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

And a pumpkin for halloween!

IMG_5538.jpg by invertalon, on Flickr

Some of those photos are truly incredible, what sort of kit do you use?

Personally, I have an EOS 450D and will have a few lenses for it at christmas hopefully, just the standard kit lens at present, I will pop a few of my photos below.

These were all taken in Yorkshire in early September.

(Ok, well more than a few!)

IMG_0136.jpg.b9948d24a5eb7b2583c0c1c2f62cf489.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg.8dc7768ced100c20288549ee8e4feb40.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg.81c3a0ba69e6d12d144c0c106dad926b.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg.f514258a66e404adf4e90a3dfe00d650.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg.66f4eb42fbff07453e76bc89f04d1278.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg.10c846a9783262bd7ddd88d3bfb5b732.jpg

IMG_1367-Edit.jpg.f4cead0d0670ade4961a4ca6cbd0bd5d.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg.885242f23f5dfd89cbf9ea5ca6dd6650.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg.7add9dd4d6ff2987821ab47099ddc24f.jpg

_MG_1659.jpg.d1922903ecba4d987995fecfa0052eea.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg.d7c802cacc42ff999a3b436f1718799b.jpg