TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR : Valcartier waterpark

Hi !

Today Mike and I went to Village Vacances Valcartier, a waterpark in Quebec city.

This waterpark is mostly unknown, but it is probably the best.. I've been to blizzard beach, typhoon lagoon, raging waters, pga, sfgrm, etc... and no one has the thrills of Valcartier waterpark.

In 2004, they added the best water attraction ever made, City of Dungeons.

The theming of this water attraction is incredible. Animatronics, video preview in queue line... it's almost Disney !

City of the dungeons is basically a lazy river in a medieval theme.

You can choose between 3 adventures when you ride City of Dungeons. First, you pick up your 2 people tube and you can go directly into the flooded kingdom (the river), or you can choose to go up to the tower and face two amazing slides : One is a pitch dark/outdoor slide that goes directly in the river and the other is an awesome dark slide that goes into a Proslide bowl with fog that simulates the boiling pot of the Witch that flooded the town... and it goes in the river.

I will have on-ride pictures of the river later this week ! Don't miss them, it's awesome !

Some pictures :

City of dungeons entrance

3 different experiences : River only, Speed slide, Bowl slide.

Queue line

Here's a little playground for kids under 5 (new for 2005) :

The cocorico farm

New for 2006 : Pirate's eden

Not open yet, they were shooting the tv ad today ! Opening June 27th

Amazing... Look at those pirate's feets ! They are slides !

Wooden theming slides and look at the far right, a hand is supporting the structure !

Not quite ready yet...

Was new for 2003 :

A map of the park :

Older section of the waterpark but still very fun !

Yeah, this is a very gay friendly waterpark lol !

The gay friendly slides :

The first slides of the waterpark in 1978, they are still a blast !

Everest slides used to be the tallest in America at 34meters high !

Great airtime on those slides !

The happy waterfalls... it goes fast, you get stuck forever and it's so fun ! And the water is warmer than a whirpool !

Amazon is the other heavily themed attraction... you go down the Amazon river on your tube very fast and you get drench !

Too bad I can't take pictures of the Amazon, the attraction is deeper in the woods and access is restricted

The end of the attraction :

Yeah ! Old school waterpark !

Probably the best wavepool ever made, two different programs of waves, 15 minutes each ! One is more tamed (the pictures shows the tamed version but still most thrilling than most wave pool!).

Center Pavillion of the park with a bar, a restaurant, lockers,etc...

The entrance of the park, a little main strest Usa :

Don't forget to check the little video I made in the The Professional Amateur Videographer Forum!

I'll post some on-rides or on-slides pictures later this week ! It will surprise you !

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ECZnith : It really would be a shame to miss this waterpark ! And if you come, don't forget to ride the only credit in Quebec city, Capital Express, a really good family coaster situated in Galeries de la Capitale shopping mall.

---

Here's some web pictures of City of dungeons

And the 2004 tv ad : (everything that you see is in the ride)

www.lg2.com/lg2/realisations.php?media=1&sel=199&fs=0&ofs=

Wow, thats amazing. Why is it that only Disney and Universal parks are the only parks in the US that actually try and theme rides. Although I have to give it to SFGAv, they did an amazing job on the Golden Kingdom and KK. Ok the Busch parks do a good job too.

Seriously, that coldren (Sp?) toilet bowl is really really cool! I wonder what it looks like inside the bowl under all that mist/smoke.

Mmmm, sexy sword chick

But back on topic, I'm not the biggest waterpark enthusiast, but I will go if it's part of a park or if its famous (Noah's Ark, Schlitterbahn, etc) If I ever go to Canada, I'll be sure to hit this place. It looks simply incredible!

I got the pictures from my underwater camera ! Yeah !

Like I thought, all the pictures that were taken inside the attractions are not visible, it was way to dark to get good pictures ! Just go there, you'll see amazing animatronics, amazing scenery, etc...

On-rides pictures :

The witch's bowl

Cemetery of City of Dungeons, the gargoyle is supposed to have water through his mouth but it was not working that day.

Just before the cemetery and after the first indoor section

This part is awesome with water gargoyles and witches throwing water at you

The village is so good looking !

Entrance to the second indoor section of City of the Dungeons

Amazon River ride -built in 1992 - (and a look at my beautiful feets lol):

Mike on the amazon river

Probably not a Dan "friendly ride" lol

At that moment, the Amazon goes real fast !

After the indoor section, huge waves and play structure !

Me playing in the water

In the Happy waterfalls ride :

Mike in the Happy waterfalls :

Huge waves (and that is the tamed mode!)

That day was such a blast ! We already want to go back !

I really dislike water parks, but The City of Dungeons and that witch's bowl thing look incredible. I like when parks try to do something different rather than slapping the usual bunch of colourful waterslides onto a slab of concrete. This park certainly accomplished that. The leg slides are amusing too.

This may be a stupid question, but is the water heated? Some parks are beginning to add heated water to their water-rides and was just curious (based on the pics-or was that steam a special effect?).

That 'monster' pic looked similar to NEssie (I wonder if BGE could steal that and somehow put in Nessie's helix-tunnel..lol). The chic on the website is hot (she has to be a Canuck!..lol). Interesting website also, do they offer those sled-type rides during the winter time?

Wow. Thats is a must visit if I ever get up to Canada.

Not sure about the warmer water...but you would think, with the park that far north, they would warm the water to keep the park open during the winter season, well...if im reading their website correctly. ; )

Lol Tinflowers, during the winter season, there is only ice and snow slides, no water rides ! Some slides, like Everest and Vertigineuses (old blue ones with the cocacola sign) are used in the winter(and it's really crazy!!). Everest use tubes with 2 up to 6 people together and the blue ones use crazy carpets (plastic mat).

That page will show you the winter activities !

www.valcartier.com/english/activites/act2.html#1

The water of all attractions except the ones of the artificial lake is always heated at 80degrees minimum, and Happy waterfalls, City of dungeons have warmer water ! It's always comfortable, the park is open even if it's cold or rainy. The steam is indeed a special effect !

By the way, the hot chick is Annie Pelletier, an olympic diver.

Waterviper :

Inside the tunnel of the Amazone, it's a ancient Mayan Temple.

After some rapids, there's is a lot of steam, you don't see nothing and then you enter the steam, which is the entrance of the tunnel, you cross the steam and by magic you're are now indoor !

This is like a cave, with rocks and waterfalls, if you have the timing right, the water is boiling under you, very fun effect. You have ropes at some places, if you pull them down, some statues will splash water over you and the others. There's some skeleton too of people that entered the Mayan temple but never made it out ! And when you exit, there's a huge waterfall falling over you with lot of forces... very fun !

Mapblast says 3 hours and they are right, it would take about that time to get to Valcartier waterpark from La Ronde. Don't worry about traffic, between Montreal and Quebec, it's fluid.

http://maps.msn.com/directions.aspx?&StartName=La+Ronde+(amusement+park)%2c+Montr%u00e9al%2c+Qu%u00e9bec%2c+Canada&StartLocation=45.51304%2c-73.53756&EndName=1860+Blvd+Valcartier%2c+St-Gabriel-de-Valcartier+QC&EndLocation=46.94087%2c-71.47486&DataSetLangID=USA&RouteType=Quickest&RouteUnit=Miles