TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Funniest Ride Experiences

All right then, I know this old post still exist, so let's add some more funny stories I happen to saw while at amusement parks.

During an outdoor show at Kings Dominion, a group of college-aged boys decided to do some crazy dance in the middle of one of the songs (I must stress that I wasn't one of them; I was sitting in the audience taking a needed rest and catching the show). This went on for about a minute until one of the park attendants stopped this group and told them to move on. We decided to give them our applause.

And then there was this happening at Six Flags St. Louis while waiting to get on the Highland Fling, one kid was too excited and couldn't wait to get on, and after getting on and with the ride in motion, this same kid began crying and wanted to get off. I decided to get revenge on this poor kid because he was bugging me in the queing station, so I call out to him: "Come on kid, show some courage! This isn't a bad ride!" This kid was still crying as we exited the ride.

And also at Six Flags St. Louis I ended up riding Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast with some scaredy cat. I enjoyed the ride, thought it was great, but Scaredy Cat could stop screaming and hung on to the handle bars for dear life. Back into the station, he did stop screaming, but he couldn't let go of the handle bars. "The ride is over, so you can let go," I smirked to him and just gingerly walked out.

So let's hear your funny stories. And while you're at it, somebody posted this a few years ago and I have no idea what it means (I DON'T SPEAK ACRONYMS!!! ). It was posted by themeparkologist and it read

ROFLMFAO!
Can I please have a translation before I have a heart attack?

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!"

I remember riding the Turn of the Century (before it was "Demonized") at Great America in California (late 1970s). A buddy and I saw what, at first, looked like a big brown bat fluttering in the air--turned out to be some poor guy's toupee.

Edited by cfc

I was at Disneyland California over the summer with my family. They all hate water rides, so I used the single riders line for Splash Mountain. I was put in the back of a car with a grandmother and 3 young boys (The oldest was probably 10). We go down the biggest drop and when we get to the bottom, all three kids start swearing in little British accents. Their grandmother wasn't happy for laughing at them.

Watching our faces getting sucked in while riding a gravitron, and our 5-person run on CGA's raft slide...one had no handles to hang onto, 2 of us constantly hit the high banks and caught air, and some heads konked into each other when hitting the splash pool. This consisted of TPR members Robman, Flagg o'Dimm, Rjvader, JeffyJosephNorcal, and myself. It was definitely a crazy run down the slide and had us all giggling like little kids

I've got such strange luck. On any regular day, all of life's random mishaps happen to me, but I am always the one who comes off of the river rapids ride completely dry.

So my friends and I took a trip to Six Flags Great Adventure on the hottest day of the summer last year; and though we are definitely a more roller coaster geared crowd, my girlfriend really wanted to go on the rapids ride to cool down. Knowing how well I handle rapids rides, I reassured everyone that the one person on our boat who would not get soaked would be me. However, in a strange turn of events, I got completely drenched, my friends were soaked down to the skin, and my girlfriend (who was sitting right next to me) barely had a drop of water on her. So while me and the others were satisfied, my girlfriend wasn't. There was barely a line, so we went again. Once again, my friends and I got cascaded upon, and my girlfriend got off completely dry. We decided to go for it one last time (because it really was freaking hot out), and we even switched up the order of who sat where. By the end of the ride, I had probably gained about ten pounds in soaked clothes, my friends' sneakers squelched every time they took a step, my girlfriend...still completely dry after a third run.

• 1 month later...

For Amy and I it was Splash Mountain. We had a friend with us and in line we were about 4 groups in front of this extremely large woman and her extremely large kid. It was pretty cold, and we were talking about how it's going to suck whoever has them in their boat because they're going to get drenched. Of course, we got stuck with them! The larger lade barely fit in the double back seat. It took her a while to wedge in. We literally got as wet as the main drop with a light boat, as we did on the first drop off of the small lift hill! We were already pretty drenched by the time we hit the big drop, but that drop was amazing! I've never seen so much water in the air at one time. When it fell, we were literally sitting in a somewhat flooded log for a few seconds before it drained. The people on the bridge were amazed and we could hear them say they have never seen such a huge splash! I've never laughed so hard before.

Riding Magnum XL-200 in the row behind pro wrestler Al Snow and his disproportionately hot gf... Back when he was a regular on TV and I actually watched wrestling. Nothing really happened, I just found the sheer idea of it to be completely hilarious.

Edited by Condor

Many but one from Florida two weeks ago:

At Busch Gardens riding the great Intamin Looping Starship called Phoenix and we had one of those ultra-slow revolutions. After hanging upside down for over 10 seconds first riders panic asking frantically: Will this stall upside down??? Smiling wickedly I thought about having some "fun" but not knowing what the US reaction to some "fun" is I replied in earnest: "No, thats impossible!" And right then the gondola was finally picking up movement again....

For Amy and I it was Splash Mountain. We had a friend with us and in line we were about 4 groups in front of this extremely large woman and her extremely large kid. It was pretty cold, and we were talking about how it's going to suck whoever has them in their boat because they're going to get drenched. Of course, we got stuck with them! The larger lade barely fit in the double back seat. It took her a while to wedge in. We literally got as wet as the main drop with a light boat, as we did on the first drop off of the small lift hill! We were already pretty drenched by the time we hit the big drop, but that drop was amazing! I've never seen so much water in the air at one time. When it fell, we were literally sitting in a somewhat flooded log for a few seconds before it drained. The people on the bridge were amazed and we could hear them say they have never seen such a huge splash! I've never laughed so hard before.

Pretty much the exact same thing happened for my group as well! It was midnight and we were all so tired that we were slap happy. Never had more fun on any log flume before!

I had several insane clench-n-squish rides on Logger's Run at CGA last season. It was me and 4 other people in the TPR group I go to the park with, all stuffed into the log! The log bottoms out wherever there is a flat section of flume, which is basically a prediction of how crazy the finale will be. And by crazy, I mean everybody getting floater airtime on the double down, followed by getting soaked!

The soaking process on clench-n-squish rides is a bit unusual: The log makes an initial splash that sprinkles a fair amount of water on us, then as it decelerates it wobbles around a bit before suddenly dipping down and scooping up a MUCH larger second WALL of water that just POURS all over us! Wet and stinky shoes galore too. If the log is flooded, then an unacceptable amount of wetness will most likely come to be!

On one particular ride during Haunt (its Haunt-mode name is Black Widow's Cavern), when we reached the station, one of the ride ops acted like a cop and mentioned how we were "doing 35 in a 20 zone", most likely referring to the increased speed caused by all the weight in the log! Not only did it go faster in the finale, but it pretty much flew through the flat sections at what must have felt like 25 mph or something ridiculous, all the talents were having a hard time getting us because we were going so fast!

Definitely going to do this again for the 2013 season given that the park hasn't changed the maximum # of riders rule and keeps it at 5.

I have two things to say and both regard Intimidator at Carowinds.

1) Every time I ride, there is a least a few things people lose at the top of the hill after the first drop. I have seen the usual cell phones, wallets, car keys, ect. But I have also seen a shoe and a shirt before. It's actually quite a bit of stuff.

2) There was one time when an Indian man and his daughter and his daughter's friend got on the ride and I was sitting in the same car as them. The two younger girls were sitting in the two seats that are right next to each other in front and the man was sitting in the back seat on the other side of the car as me. So they sit down and the dad is pushing on the two girl's restraint pretty hard, it looked fairly uncomfortable. That's understandable, it is possible that that was their first time to a theme park or the guy was just looking out for them. As we leave the station, the guy says his daughter's name then "keep your head back". Now, I usually don't put my head against the headrest because sometimes I get a headache doing that and it's just uncomfortable to try to hold your head there for the whole ride. But anyways, when we were cresting the lift hill, he says it again, "(girl's name) keep your head back." After the first drop and we are cresting that first hill, he says it once more. So I started counting. At various points during the ride he said it, resulting in a total count of eight times. I'm not exaggerating. But that's not the best part! While we're sitting there on the break run, the guys says "wow, that was fun." The girls agree with him, then he says "you just have to remember to keep your head back." That' would be a grand total of nine times.

IMG_1524.thumb.jpg.e5de7dd34b90f415e08baed09dc156e0.jpg

This is the first hill-where everybody loses stuff.

When I was at SFMM's Fright Fest back in 2011 with a friend I made a point of trying to get a couple of rides in on Log Jammer after hearing it was supposed to close at the end of the month so we got in the relatively short line and got on the first time no problem with just the two of us in the log. It was starting to get dark and was a bit chilly, but with just the two of us totaling around 200 lbs in the log we barely got wet. After getting off the ride-ops asked if we wanted a re-ride, so we said yes. The problem was that this time we got put in a boat with two other people, both were quite overweight, and we ended up sitting in front. He made me sit in front of him to keep him dry despite the fact that I was significantly larger. This meant that I spent the entire ride trying not to smash him and also trying to stay dry. When we got the the last two drops we just started laughing at the absurdity of it all and then proceeded to get soaked on both drops despite the hydroplaning caused by the massive weight in the back and lack in the front. Just to cap it off another friend who had decided not to ride was standing at the water cannons and got us with 4 of them. Still one of my favorite amusement park related memories to date.

• 2 months later...

One year, at Kings Dominion, I was next in line to ride one of the enclosed tube rides ( I cannot remember which one it was ) when a man went before I did. Now, inside those enclose tubes, anything you scream out will echo back up to the entrance point. The way this man talked before boarding the slide may me think that he had a bass voice, but when he began screaming, he went high soprano!

"That's what I call 'another satisfied customer'!"

35 YEARS OF GOING TO kINGS dOMINION - AND COUNTING!!!

For me it was a ride on the Magnum at Cedar Point on our 8th grade trip. My friend and I waited for the front car and we were both really excited. As we're going up, my friend tells me she's never been on anything bigger than a loop screw and as we start the first drop she screamed in my ear and buried her head somewhat painfully into my side. It startled me then cracked me up because I was nervous being on the left-hand side with no scaffold as we ascended and I'm not a huge fan of heights. It broke the ice and I definitely wasn't scared anymore after that.

Knocking heads with my friend Debby on a brand new 1990 Texas Giant during a late night ERT. The ride was wicked wild and aggressive, but still smooth -> therefore, very enjoyable! I think our heads knocked together either on the first turn or going into the helix (for anyone who remembers the "Summers curve.") It happened so fast that it didn't hurt; it was already hilarious as we were being flung around like ragdolls in the dark.

A Jewish teens yamacha flew off his head on the drop of El Toro.

I shouldn't be laughing at this but I am.

One notable one for me was an awkward ride on Xcelerator at Knott's on my last trip where I was lucky enough to catch a ride...

In the front seat...

Entirely alone.

I didn't know how to react to having 5 ride operators and 1 rider. It came across to me as just plain painfully awkward.

When i was with my friends and one put their glasses in the between of their breasts they fell out. It was a B&M Invert, and specifically Nemesis Inferno. They flew somewhere and we didn't see where, but another one was in a small fair when i laughed my ass off because it was cheapass czech ripoff ride and it felt like someone raped me.

• 2 months later...

Two Years ago, I was Morey's Piers and I entered The Mummy's Curse Walkthrough with a bunch a screaming-when-scared girls. Because this was my second time, I knew what to expect, but I'm pretty sure these girls didn't. When the mummy came after them, all the girls screamed and rushed out of the attraction. One of them was so scared she lefted her flip-flops inside and was running in bare feet. Nobody else knew what happened until the mummy came out holding the pair of flip flops the girl lefted behind.

"It could have been worse, what if the mummy scared the pants of this girl, I mean, she was wearing short shorts? Take about a wardrobe malfunction!"

I was on Goliath at SFOG with my friends and my friend saw a park map coming at him on the hill before the hammer-head, and he CAUGHT IT. We were cracking up the rest of the ride. After the ride we heard some people talking about there map flying out of there hands in the exit ramp and we gave them there map.

The first incident was when I was about 6 years old (this would have been hilarious at the time, but for the fact I was scared half to death, but when look back on it I find it funny) when I rode Space Mountain at WDW. I rode it with my mom and her best friend (I don't remember if the friend was in front of us or behind us, I think she was behind us), and back in those days it was much more common for women to wear wigs than it is now. Well, once we got off (I was scared half to death) my mom immediately started complaining to her friend (who supposedly didn't know what kind of ride SM was) that she had to spend the whole length of the ride holding onto her wig with one hand and the lap bar with the other! I don't think my mom was very thrilled that she almost lost her wig and had to hold onto it for dear life for the length of the ride.

Later on I kinda got my mom's friend back for taking me on SM when we got on the teapots - I got it spinning so fast she got really, really dizzy and I was laughing at her!

Then there was the time my mom took my cousin and I to WDW when I was 13 and he was 15. Well, we had ridden several of the rides and next up was the haunted house. As we got in line, all of the sudden my cousin began to freak out. Yes, he was actually afraid to do the haunted house (he had already been on Small World and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, so it wasn't fear of a dark ride) - seriously, what 15 year old would be afraid of the haunted house at Disney? Needless to say my mom and I thought it was really funny and we teased him about it for the rest of the trip. I don't think he ever went on it, either - so even worse he chickened out!

At a Coastermania several years ago I was there with my friend and one of her friends who wasn't really into coasters, but had never been to CP before and wanted to go. Well, we rode TTD and when we got off and came into the photo area everyone was roaring with laughter. We looked up for our pictures and her friend had the most hysterical look on her face - her mouth was wide open and her eyes were bugged out and everyone was laughing their heads off. Well, she bought the picture and at later times in the day, she brought it out and we'd sit there and start laughing all over again.

Then I went to Knoebels with this same friend (though her non-coaster friend wasn't with us) and we went to ride the hamster cage flat (sorry I don't know what it is called) and at that point I decided I was going get that cage spinning as fast as I could (she was OK with me operating the foot pedal since I'm younger and stronger). This woman is in heaven on a roundup or a graviton or an enterprise, so I thought I'd go ahead and spin the thing as hard as I could. Well, I really got the cage flipping fast and she looked totally surprised (and rather overwhelmed) at how fast I was able to make it go, and I started laughing and laughing and by the time the ride was over my face was beet-red - from laughing so hard and from all the spinning! Needless to say, we were both very dizzy.

That reminds me of years before when I went somewhere (I don't even remember where, it's been ages ago + I think the ride is gone now so I don't know where it would have been) with another friend and we got on this flat ride that is like the Falcon at HP, but this one had cars that had this little button between the two seats that you could push that would cause the car to rotate around and go upside down over and over again, as long as you kept pushing the button. Anyway, he didn't know that it went upside down, and I started hitting that button over and over again and he kept saying my name "_____- hey, whoa, how are you doing that? What are you doing? Hey, whoa!" over and over. I was laughing my head off because I could tell he had no idea what was causing the car to flip (some other riders weren't flipping their cars), and I kept on cracking up when the ride stopped and I showed him the little button hidden between the seats (which he didn't see because he was tall and his legs blocked the view of it). I think this ride may have been at KD, as this was back in the late 90's.

Our recent 5-man run (5 people, max capacity on a family raft ride) provided some fun moments...We had people almost flipping over, those of us hanging on for dear life, hoping not to land on friends below, and in the final splash down, had heads crashing into shoulders and shoulders crashing into noses. Sure all of this hurt but it hurt in a fun way.

I've also had several body slam/head-knocking moments on Gold Striker especially towards the end of the ride. Again, hurt in a fun way

For me, I have to go with Skyrush this past summer. I went to Hersheypark with my family and after hearing the reviews of Skyrush, I warned them that it would be an extremely wild ride. They shrugged it off and wanted to ride in the back row. Needless to say they were in for one wild ride.

I remember a while back at Six Flags Magic Mountain 2 funny events happened. First was going on the newly opened Green Lantern ride, they failed to balance my train so there was more weight behind me. That left me staring at the sky during the whole ride not getting to flip around once. Then it took 10 min to get us back in because of the off balance.

Second was X2 when we took our second dive I remember laughing at a descending cell phone in the sky.