TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

No glasses on Tatsu and Xcelerator

OK, I'm a real myopic rider, and last week I was at KBF. The XCelerator ops stringently required I remove my eyeglasses, though they were securely stapled to my head with a new pair of Croakies. This was irritating when it happened a couple of years ago, but even moreso since I have in the meantime ridden both TTD and KK multiple times with Croakied glasses, no problem. I was told it was the "manufacturer's requirement," but I find it hard to believe that Intamin somehow decided that glasses were OK at 128 mph, but not at 80.

Then at SFMM, I rode Tatsu one time with fastened glasses, but the next time I rode, I was already fastened in my restraints when the op told me to take them off. Now, my specs are worth several hundred bucks and necessary for my eyesight, and I'm not about to hand them to a complete stranger or let them sit unguarded on the platform, so I stuck them in my pants pocket. They might easily have fallen out or been broken, so on the lift hill I was rather naughty and put them securely on again. Next day, I was prepared and put them in a case in a fastened pocket and rode blurrily; it was only later that I saw that one of the Tatsu riders on the cover of the SFMM guide was apparently wearing glasses herself.

Now, what I'd really like to know is why it was OK to ride with glasses on S:UF, but not Tatsu. Because Tatsu passes over a pedestrian walkway? Well, so does S:TE (which goes faster, at least in theory, than XCelerator), and glasses are OK on that. And there's no more reason to think unsecured glasses will fall off on Tatsu than on X or Deja Vu, right? And why let people ride with them loose in their pockets, but not tightly fastened to their heads?

For my own protection? Since plenty of bozos ride with unsecured cellphones in their pockets, I'd frankly rather have shatterproof lenses over my eyes if one ever goes flying. Heck, when I'm riding on my motorcycle, I demand eye protection, and I never go as fast as XCelerator. (Well, almost never.) I mean, what if Fabio flies into my face?

Fear of litigation? In that case, ban all eyewear on all coasters. I'd be forced to get contact lenses, but at least things would make some sense.

So can anyone give me a good rationale for the capricious, inconsistent, seemingly stupid no-glasses thing?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The attitude of "well the rules shouldn't apply to me because (insert reason here)" is what causes those restrictions in the first place.

I'm just sayin'...

I rode Tatsu several times wearing glasses, with supervisors and ride leads all over the platform. A while later in the day I rode, and was given a big deal about my glasses - while a kid in the row behind me was holding on to a camera. As for Knott's - good luck getting any rule enforced there the same way twice.

on the topic about glasses, where do u guys put your glasses when going on rides? like for the ones which you kinda have to take them off and put therem somewhere.....thanks !

I used to put them in the case in which they were when I first received them, and then put the case in my backpack. Now, I wear contact lenses so I don't have to deal with that anymore !

I have a $$$ pair of prescription Ray Bans and I'm not about to leave them with someone. I've only been on about 53 coasters, but I've worn them on all with no problems.

Before I got them, I was at SFStl and they wouldn't let anyone wear glasses or earings on any coaster, including the mine train...but this Spring they didn't care.

Speaking of losing Cell Phones on Tatsu ... But I was in the back, so it probably didn't hit anyone (I think).
In that case... THANK GOD I went with my instincts and gave my cellphone to my brother when I rode it... I just had a bad feeling about that happening!

This is God's way of punishing you for being gay.

- Joe

Ah, I see. I'd figured that it was Jesus' way of punishing me for being Jewish, till I remembered He placed Six Flags in the hands of Mark Shapiro...

The glasses are totally secure with Croakies, and I know of it. But, when my friend rode X two years ago, he wore is regular glasses, no problem. No Croakies or anything. An the glasses stayed on. Honestly though, if the ride ops are giving you trouble with your glasses, try and get some contacts that fit your perscription.

---Brent

I've worn sunglasses without any sort of strap (BTW, am I the only one who had to use google to find out what Croakies are?) on just about every coaster I've ever ridden, and I've never had any trouble with them falling off. Yeah, I've lost two cell phones and who knows how much pocket change, but never sunglasses.

I've worn sunglasses without any sort of strap (BTW, am I the only one who had to use google to find out what Croakies are?) on just about every coaster I've ever ridden, and I've never had any trouble with them falling off.

Nope, your not the only one.

I wear my glasses with no strap on almost all coasters with no problems at all. The only time i'm asked to taken them off is on Rita: QOS and they are quite strict with it as every visit i've had I always have to remove them.

When you move you head around quickly or violently when not on a coaster they don't fall off so why would they when on a coaster. I do take them off on drop towers, partly because of the forces involved and partly because I don't really want to see anyway.

My bro lost his glasses on Psyclone at sfmm! They were also nice enough to go look for them for him!! They flew off on the first turn after the drop so they were close to the midway!!

I also saw a cell phone hover next to me for a bit on the camel back of Goliath at Sfmm then it went crashing down to bits on the ground!!!!