TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

my roller coaster

Okay people, so here's the story.

My mom and I were destroying this old dog house and a chain link fence. We piled it all in a junk pile and I realized "hey, that's a lot of scrap metal." So, then I walked to my grandad's shop and behold! There was like 60 feet of rails and even more scrap metal...hm...My grandad is a retired engineer...So, I'm going to build a roller coaster!!! WOOO, this is my prototype so it's basically going to be like one of those butterfly rides that goes back and forth until it stops. We've even got a motor or two that we can hook a cable up to pull it up and drop it. Tonight my grandad and I are going to discuss it and i'm going to show him the area I think looks right. I'll take pictures for you guys!

-Jacob

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Photo update!

So basically I was bored and got some pics of pre-work stuff...

newtrack-060616154523000.bmp

this is what the final product should look like

100_3240.JPG.16da018ab46d30c6bbd3319a33f1cc19.JPG

it will start above the monkey bars, go down, and come back up at the top of that shed (we need to clean that area out)

100_3239.JPG.b829bf7585722bf3bd8096d8a3a8a0f3.JPG

could this be used as a support (question mark...mine key doesn't work)

100_3238.JPG.d169df8def98abd97524eb920611dfaf.JPG

scrap metal we didn't use

100_3236.JPG.a27b9805f78d35f61c06229be1f64c82.JPG

i think this is something we're gonna use to bend the rails...well...it looks neat!

100_3237.JPG.84c20b084693b5396539767c258b203b.JPG

bansaw!

100_3235.JPG.89cc3c7d350e740c5108753ffa1144ca.JPG

even more rails!

100_3234.JPG.f2c4d6e06c207349af3eadb635db0c8e.JPG

a few rails!

Ok, so my grandad and I looked at the area and how much stuff we have...turns out instead of about 60 feet, we have 150 feet of track. I also found some PERFECT supports for the highest point...they're about 12 feet tall. I'm still trying to figure out how i'm going to get a car for it.

But, it's going to be a lot bigger than I expected and that' the main point of this update. It's going to be slow work welding and everything and my grandad isn't exactly young (80 years) so don't expect tons of progress.

:edit:

so, after brainstorming for a while, i've developed a car and wheel assembly. don't worry everybody, I know how to weld and stuff so it should be easy to put together.

:another edit: after thinking, i decided "hey, it might do like a chair if you lean back too far and flip!" so I decided to add upstops, not wheels, just metal fins, these are just incase it does decide to flip, so they might never be used. i edited the wheel assembly pic so u can see what i'm talking about. is this a good idea you think

car assembly.bmp

self explanitory

untitled.bmp

wheel assembly, looks flimsy, but it prob won't use anything but the wheels on top...

Okay people, i've trashed this idea...for mostly one reason.

I could do this if I had people to help me, but the only help I have is my papaw, and today his alsheimers got really bad and I think he's too dangerous to work with. Me and him had an argument that he started for no particular reason. I'm lucky he can't walk that good or he would have gotten violent.

So, sorry people, but no roller coaster, I can't risk it.