TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

giving up smoking

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to you. As an incentive, just think of the money you're saving and the years you're adding to your life. Not to mention that you won't look ten years older than you really are and that you won't smell like old, stale tobacco. And you'll be free. No more "gotta have a smoke" and have to run outside.

I've never smoked, so I don't know any of this first hand, but I've known many people who've been through this.

Eric

Never smoked, but I know at least two family members that do. One is 54 and the other is 81 . Let me tell you, it's very saddening to see the effect on them (coughing, wheezing breath, faster aging etc.) I wish you the very best of luck. You can insult me whenever you want if that helps. lol.

stop me returning to the cancer stick?

Well, at least you know what you're getting away from.....potential CANCER. My hats off to you. Stay the course, man. And if you need any incentive, just go visit a hospital and take a walk through the cancer ward, or ask to see a lung tumor the blood center has tested. That should remind you that you're doing the right thing.

When I quit, after 35+ years of smoking, five years ago, packs in Canada cost me $5.25 per... now it's something like....$9.00 per pack?? And the really remarkable thing about my quitting is, so far, there's been no residual signs of... well, you know what I mean....

I went cold turkey myself. I kept those dollar signs in front of my mind, thinking that every day, I was gaining more and more money for more important things... like food, utilities, clothes, CDs/DVDs... 'regular stuff.'

I 'slipped' back in the beginning of '05, and that's when I actually had 'pangs of addition' rather than the first time I stopped. But then I caught a bad cold and started "tasting the smoke" with every puff. Euuuuuuuuuuuuw. And that immediately put me on Cold Turkey Watch once again...

And have never looked back, at another pack. Touch wood.

SMOKING - IS - NOT - COOL. No matter what 'they' tell you.

Big Congrats to you, and stay the distance with this. It will be worth it, in the long run, believe me.

I quit a couple of days ago. I have been smoking between one and two packs a day for 20 years.

Now, I'm using the patch.. but I still find the physical craving (not the addiction.. the actual craving) of "holding and smoking" to be the worst part of this.

My brain and body KNOW I have enough Nicotine in my system. Its just that need to get the RUSH you get from a smoke. And even though you don't REALIZE it is a "rush" from the smoke.. it still is.

Good luck! so far, I have spent more on "snack foods" in the last few days than I would have on Cigarettes.. but that will level off.

Now, I'm using the patch.. but I still find the physical craving (not the addiction.. the actual craving) of "holding and smoking" to be the worst part of this.

My brain and body KNOW I have enough Nicotine in my system. Its just that need to get the RUSH you get from a smoke. And even though you don't REALIZE it is a "rush" from the smoke.. it still is.

Good luck! so far, I have spent more on "snack foods" in the last few days than I would have on Cigarettes.. but that will level off.

i have been chewing pens like a madman and have gone through about 20 packs of gum in the last couple of hours, i agree its not the nicotine, its the feeling of holding and smoking the cigarette.

i'm working a lot more at work too, which is a shame as im not having 5 mins off every hour, although ill live with that

My last cigarette was on 5/22. I finally went to my doctor and had him put me on Wellbutron (sp?). This is a an anti-depressant drug, but one of the side effects that they found is that it helps people stop smoking. I get the urge every now and then, but then I think about how I have made it this far.

Good luck!

Now, you all need to watch your food eating habits, mmm'k?

Quitting smokes can make snacking and general mealtimes more, um, 'desireable' at times? And larger amounts of, too?

You have to watch what you do, day to day with this. Should get easier as time goes by.

I think it's good that you are trying to quit. I hate cigarretes so much, that I can't eat in front of an ash tray, or stand somewhere where ther road and/or sidewalk is littered with them...weird huh lol..it's a habit. I also can't stand alcohol

I think that's great. I am a smoker, and one day I hope to be smoke free as well. Right now I am not ready to stop, but one day I will be. I enjoy it, but it is a HORRIBLE habit. Good luck to you sincerely.