TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Whats your favorite Vekoma?

Not including the Big Thunder Mountains in CA or FL, I've ridden 4 Vekomas (the BTMs being at disney parks and were quite enjoyable but I don't know how vekomaish they really are are so I'm leaving them out). To my knowledge, I've ridden the relocated/renamed Mind Eraser, Serial Thriller, and X-Flight at Geauga Lake/SWOA), and Invertigo at Kings Island. The only one I did not have a good time on was the SLC. I was a youngin and had only ridden one other inverted coaster when I went on Serial Thriller under the tragically wrong impression that it was of a similar build to CP's Raptor. I rode Raptor in 1994 and looked like an asshole for telling my friend the SLC was going to be so fun ("oh no, these are really smooth!"). I actually very much enjoyed the boomerang and thought it was surprisingly fun & intense for its size, and my first round on X-FLight now Firehawk scared the sh*t outta me. Nowadays, I think that Firehawk edges out Invertigo just slightly because I tend to have a bias for a complete-circuit coaster vs. a shuttle, and the sensations on the vertical loop are awesome. I think they're both worth riding multiple times, and exhilarating. I do think that the fucking anti-rollbacks on Firehawk are absurdly loud though, probably would have given me a migraine when I was younger.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping to say Goliath, but since the one time I was at SFNE it was out of service, I can't. :/ Maybe I can get back up there before Fright Fest ends if it's up and running again.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for it running again this season. Even if it was running, the trains absolutely ruin the ride. It was running all summer and I didn't even ride it because of the horror that ensued with the horrible trains. I guess SFNE just likes adding bad trains to good rides like they did with Bizarro.

Well, I did get up there today, AND it was running (well, for most of the day)... So, yes, please allow me to revise my previous answer to now be Goliath. I didn't have any problems with the trains or restraints personally. And DAMN, is it forceful! Love it!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe my very first Vekoma, was the original

Big Thunder Mountain in Disneyland in 1980,

just after it opened, waaaay back when.

Unless Matterhorn Bobsleds was/is Vekoma - then that's back to ....1963!

EDIT: Actually, this is all wrong. 1st Thunder Mtn.was made by Dynamic Structures;

#2 by Arrow in Florida; and finally, the others in Tokyo Disneyland and Paris...Vekoma.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Right now Arkham Asylum at Movieworld AU but it might change when the Cyclone at Dreamworld is refurbished and turned into Hot Wheels Hot Lap coaster (With new restraints!)

Cyclone's not a Vekoma, it's an Arrow.

• 2 weeks later...

My home park is SFA and for a good 6/7 years it had THREE VEKOMAS(ME,Two-Face & Batwing).Mind Eraser-being one of the original SLCs-I could understand the disdain,but Two-Face had none of the headbanging.And as crazy as it sounds,when Batwing is actually running I think it's as good as the B&M flyers.

• 2 weeks later...

^That's a a pretty good choice.

For me, I would go with Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars at Hong Kong Disneyland. Vekoma Mine Trains lend themselves well to theming, and Vekoma seems to do its best work in collaboration with Disney.

For me personally, Firehawk at Kings Island. Smoothest Vekoma I've been on, with a great flying experience and amazing g's in the vertical loop. I also really love the double inline twists and final helix that comes really low to the ground and gets some decent g's. Was actually a top 10 ride until I visited Cedar Point and Great America. Only thing though is that capacity is atrocious, absolutely atrocious and when half the train is Fast Lane it takes forever to move through a line.

I really liked Nighthawk for some reason...

... probably because it's awesome. I'll never understand the Vekoma flyer hate.

I actually liked Firehawk more than Tatsu. As for my favorite Vekoma, I would have to say Deja Vu @ SFMM. I was bummed when I heard they were relocating it to SFNE.

I would say Firehawk, as many others have. I was dreading it before riding, thinking I was going to hate it with all the hate the Vekoma flyers get. It was completely smooth, and felt more like a B&M. And, I also liked the layout enough for me to put it right up there with Manta and Tatsu.

Nighthawk is not nearly as smooth as Firehawk, but it is still a pretty good ride. GIB's are fairly enjoyable as well. I never understood how GIB's and Flying Dutchmans got so many complaints for being bad rides, but rarely does anyone complain about Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. RNRC is not a bad coaster, but I actually found it to be far rougher than SFMM's Deja Vu and Firehawk. (Though RNRC is probably my favorite Vekoma with inversions that is not a GIB or Flying Dutchman).

I love vekoma. No, really, I've had good experiances with vekoma. Just get rid of those silly boomerangs and most of their SLCs and you'll see most of their rides are pretty good!

• Ninja
    Rock n' Rollercoaster
    X-Flight
    Gravity Max
    Expidition Everest
    Space Mountain: Mission 2

Just a few good Vekomas out there. There's plenty more rides I have not listed, I can assure you.