TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags America is the first coaster that comes to mind. I'd imagine that the model at Darien Lake would be the same, although I've never ridden it.

Very much so- its the first coaster that came to mind when I saw this post! You can always tell when someone has ridden it before because even if they'd had their hands up the entire run, they put them down and brace themselves going over the last bunny hill into the slam breaks- odd thing is it still stops that suddenly even when the station is empty.

I've also noticed on Mean Streak, the ride that leaves a "brown streak" in your pants when you ride it- when hit the final block breaks, it you stop completely (i.e. train still in station ahead) there is a noticable thud when the breaks release- like you stoped so fast the upstops actually kicked in- that's what it has always felt like to me

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flying Unicorn at IOA used to have a really hard end brake stop. The end brakes threw you forward and slammed you back into the seat! Now the brakes are much lighter.

That's sort of humourous. The Flying Unicorn sails over the breeze, floats around clouds, then smashes into a brick wall and gives its riders whiplash.

Lisebergbanan also has a pretty hard brake run, there's even a warning sign on it just before the brakes. You can see it in the POV at this site.

Also, it slams the brakes pretty hard again in the final block in the station. It's not going very fast at that point but it seems it stops in just a few inches.

It's pretty funny to see peoples faces when it does that, because they're not expecting it.

I'd say SLC's have the craziest brakes. It bends the structure!! That's not supposed to happen! Also, Schwarzkopfs seem to stop pretty quickly, and the roughness of the brakes adds to the sensation.

In particular, Raptor's at CP definitely caught my attention, along with Alpengeist. Maybe I should add B&M Inverts to the general list??

I'll have to agree with the people that voted for Ninja at GASM at SFoG. The Ninja will bruise the uninitiated who don't know to brace themselves, and the GASM tears into that station - slams to a stop then screeeches down the set of tires on its way into the station. Please don't mistake this post as complaining though - I do like both rides, even if they beat me up a little.

Surprised no one mentioned Tennessee Tornado. That thing has so much speed when it hits that short brake run... It was violent enough running just one train (the computer allows it to enter the station much faster since it obviously does not have to stop). I can't imagine how it feels running two trains! I've heard it described as an automobile accident when running two. It's such a good ride though.

I was riding Colossus at SFMM today and I experienced what sure felt like an emergency stop on the first ending brake run... our train basically slammed into the brakes and stopped in half a second, sending my head about an inch away from the front, and my brother's face right into the front of the car... Everyone pretty much yelled "OH!!" when it stopped.

I have 2. Wild Mouse at Playland Park In Rye, New York. They even have a sign that says sharp stop, brace yourself. I dont

listen, put my hands up and get a bloody nose..hehe..and S:ROS at SFNE. It goes from likke 50, to 0 in about 1.5 seconds

OH MY GOSH I KNOW!!! I WAS ON THAT! IT'S NUTS!

• 8 months later...
Lisebergbanan also has a pretty hard brake run, there's even a warning sign on it just before the brakes. You can see it in the POV at this site.

Also, it slams the brakes pretty hard again in the final block in the station. It's not going very fast at that point but it seems it stops in just a few inches.

It's pretty funny to see peoples faces when it does that, because they're not expecting it.

Not quite. When queuing people should take notice of a train "banging" into the station (stiff friction wheels), then see the sudden "scrunch". Of course, some might think "I can handle that", or they forget after the ride. But it isn't painful. I brace myself each time by pushing against the handle. There are 4 sudden stops. At the near end where you have the warning sign, then coast down the S bend and there's another, then into the station house and another stop (next to a mirror where I suspect another train is stocked), then roll forwards to where people get in and out and the final stop for the ride.

Attachment: T2Brake.zip

My goodness that's sharp! Looks like it'd give you a heimlech (sp?).

I used to be a little afraid of Lisebergbanan. When I followed some friends to try and ride with them, I looked over and I saw the people double as they hit the breaks and I thought "Oh dear... That rough?" But now I see... There's rougher...

All this "sudden stop" talking is making me think of some of the RCT games. When you make a coaster, and make a strip of breaks all at something like 10km/h, the coaster doesn't slow down during this, it basically just stops at the middle to end of the strip (worse if it's block breaks and there's another coaster in the next section). I managed to make these coasters a little more comfortable with a little work around. The first break piece I put has the speed of the train, and for each piece I put after that I decrease the value.

Ok, veering off track here...

/Edward

The Wild Mouse at Dorney Park is awful. You go from full speed (though it's not very fast) to completely stopped in less than 2 seconds. No sh1t.

Yikes!

I haven't rode it yet, but pictures of the Idlewild Wild Mouse show multiple signs warning you to brace yourself for the stop, so I'm imagining it's not good. Of course, it's a Vekoma.

Speaking of Vekoma, the Hershey Sidewinder stops pretty quick.

Speaking of Hershey, Sooperdooperlooper's block brake can be a lot harder than it needs to be.

My vote is for Raptor at CP.

You come out of the final turn and *BAM*.

If you're not literally forcing your head against the seat back, you'll be beaten about the head repeatedly as the train levels out and breaks.

I still love it, though