TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Halloween Horror Nights XVI

Portofino is the prettiest hotel, hence it being the most expensive. On the other hand, I think it's the farthest from the parks. Hard Rock is the most vibrant option because of it's theme. More flashy than relaxing. It's the shortest walk to the parks. Royal Pacific is the least expensive hotel, but it's still pretty nice which makes it a value. It also has Tchoup Chop, the best restaurant on property. I've only stayed in Royal Pacific, but I'd assume all three hotels use the same beds, which are probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in. You'd probably enjoy any of the three.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the onsite Universal hotels, I try to find the best deal. This doesn't necessarily mean the cheapest. I was pricing out rooms under a AAA discount for the Columbus Day weekend. Royal Pacific was $183, Hard Rock was $231, and the Portifino was $231. Based on this, the best "deal" for me was the Portifino. I think $50 more is worth the price to live in more luxury. Still, I like the Royal Pacific since the staff is the friendliest out of the 3. All 3 hotels are pretty nice, so you won't be disappointed with your choice.

Thanks for the info but im trying to find out the actual difference in the hotel experience vs the general information given on the net

Ok.IMO Portifino and Royal Pacific really immerse you into a new world and are truely attractions in themselves.

The entrance to Portifino makes me stop what im doing in the car and stare everytime.The long driveway with thick trees and then the trees stop and you see the massive hotel.Portifino pays alot of attention to detail and it really would feel like you were in Italy if you couldnt see IOA in the distance.In other words after staying here you wont want to stay anwhere eles UNLESS its Royal Pacific or HardRock.

Royal Pacific Has an awesomely ornate lobby with tons of detail and alot of really cool orchids.The atmosphere of this hotel is great the idea of fusing all the Pacific Islands into one theme is genius.If you do stay here you MUST eat at Tchoup chop Its adds even more to the experience.Royal Pacific always makes me relaxed just walking the grounds of the hotel its a very peacful almost zen setting until the kids start screaming at the pool This hotel is right up there with Portifino IMO

HardRock Hotel has a cool modern art deco lobby with some awesome memorabilia from past and present rock artists. It has a Mediteranian feel to it and the whole resort is alot of fun to just be there.I havent stayed there in a while but I remember the service at that hotel being better than the others. whatever hotel you chose you cant lose!(hah that rhymed)

Hope that helped a little more!

It's on the TPR Calendar.

We'll be there Thursday, October 19.

Please think about me when you're there as i can't be at my favorite event... I will be looking for great trip reports, pictures and videos.....

So sad i can't make it... there should be special deals for fans coming from far far far away.....

From screamscape...

I spent a little time going through the new HHN website again this weekend, and along with tips from a few readers out there it seems that all of the alterations done to the Behind the Screams page so far are courtesy of Albert Caine... aka... The Caretaker. In each of the altered file drawers is a bloody scalpel and little notes added here and there that seem to indicate that the old man is planning something sinister. In particular you will find in the ‘92 drawer that he has cut the face from the photo of the Rat Lady, left a note about her being a “Perfect specimen” and “I want I need I will have” along with another note that she is “perfect for our celebration”. In the ‘02 drawer is a mention about taking the “very core” of a being out and transplanting it elsewhere, another photo with something cut out and a note from Caretaker about his followers discovering who was really buried in the grave (at Scream House I assume) that she would return as a result of “my skill, my artistry and my obsession.” All this seems to be going somewhere, but it seems to take a weird turn in the ‘04 drawer with a small note about setting free the children of the night in the ‘Blood Masquerade”. This is a reference to one of this year’s Scare Zones that will be located in the dark pathway that runs from the exit of Shrek 4D down to Mels, which also happens to be the same Studio 54 / Nightmare Alley area mentioned in previous rumors. So what do Vampires have to do with the Caretaker? Not sure, unless this is the first step taken in a secret new interactive game they might play this year.

And remember last year the terra queen wasnt included in the ads either...

Looks like The Director has been going through the archives now. He seems to really like Norman Bates and the lagoon and People Under The Stairs. Also some comments about his new DrIvE-IN in '03 web archives. Wonder about the caretaker's "true milestone of 2002." Anybody notice anything going on in the '06 drawer? It seems like the handprints are different, I dunno. Anyways, this year is gonna be freakin sweet!

I'm coming over from the UK to do HHN and am really looking forward to it. The flights and hotel are booked, and I will hopefully be booking HHN tickets in the next couple of days.

I'm going on 31st October - it was the only date available. Hopefully I can buy Universal Express to avoid the queues - I honestly don't mind if the park is packed as that would no doubt give it atmosphere, and so long as I get on most if not all the mazes with Universal Express I'm happy. Or scared. Either one'll be fine.

Any tips for me? The only vaguely compariable event I've done is Fright Nights at Thorpe Park which has two mazes. I have read through this thread, and it's quite bewildering, so if anyone has any tips on how best to make the most of HHN I would be very appreciative.

I've gone to every HHN since XI (2001) and agree with what's been said here. Spend your day in Universal Studios and have your HHN ticket and express passes already bought. When Universal closes, you will be directed to a "stay and scream" area, as everyone else is being kicked out, you'll be among the first to get to whichever maze opens first for the night.

As the flow of people starts coming in, head to the rearmost house as the ones up front will eat up the incoming crowds. I plan on doing HHN without an express pass and I'll let you know how I do on Sept 30.

^ Yeah, what he said.

One of the good things about going on All Hallow's Eve, is that it's the last night and they (scareactors) pretty much go all out and give great performances. That being said, I would probably get a pass, it should be busy. Although it is a weekday so maybe not so much. You can get a pass when you are in the park, but they might get sold out. Whatever, if your coming from the UK, I would just get the pass, to insure that you get to see all the houses and ride the rides. Then if it's not too busy you have plenty of time for shenanigans!!::P

BTW

I think that all of the TPR peeps should have some kind of way to identify other TPR'ers. Like maybe a secret hand shake or some distinctive clothing, maybe a bandana out the left back pocket, or is that the crip side?? I don't know, something, so we know who we are and we can say say "sup"

P All "R.I.P. BttF"

I've gone to every HHN since XI (2001) and agree with what's been said here. Spend your day in Universal Studios and have your HHN ticket and express passes already bought. When Universal closes, you will be directed to a "stay and scream" area, as everyone else is being kicked out, you'll be among the first to get to whichever maze opens first for the night.

As the flow of people starts coming in, head to the rearmost house as the ones up front will eat up the incoming crowds. I plan on doing HHN without an express pass and I'll let you know how I do on Sept 30.

I agree with your approach to HHN. I've been in 97, 2000,2001,2004,and 2005, but after the first year I started getting express passes. I like to do a quick run of all the houses without the express pass then go back and express it if the line becomes too long. Last year I went on the 30th and 31st of October, the crowds weren't that bad. This year I'm going on 9/29 and 9/30. Since you can use frequent fear pass for that weekend and the express is only $30 and $50 respectively, it will actually be a fairly cheap year for me. Still havent decided if I'm staying offsite or at RP, which is my usual. In any case, I can't wait!!

I agree with what has been said. I have gone every year since 94' with the exception of 01'. I started doing the express pass the last 4 years, it is well worth it. If you don't do the stay and scream and want to see everthing, make sure you get to the event at least an hour before the schedulle opening time. I have found with an express pass, that if we just make a circle and hit all the haunted houses and rides as you come to them, you can see everything at lease once without any stress. This way also saves your feet from getting too tired from back tracking too much. But if you want to see everything a few times then take the advise from the previous posts and try to do the stay and sream option. Either way, try to get your express pass early.

Now I'm really confused, what is going on?

Is this another game, or just random crap to give us a preview of what's gonna be there?

I mean their pointing out where their houses are (Storyteller) and their shows (Director) and things that are gonne be in some scare zones.

But what does it all mean???

The Storyteller's additions are almost as pointless as her.

Motorcycles and jack-o-lanterns.....oh my!!

I guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks to get to the bottom of this.