TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weird Coaster Facts

Old Indiana Amusement Park operated from 1983 to 1997. Premier Parks acquired the property and was planning to reopen the park in 1999 with rides purchased from Opryland. However Premier Parks acquired Six Flags and decided to focus on those than opening a new park. I believe the Ferris Wheel got relocated to Geauga Lake and the Log Flume got relocated to Idlewild.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Coaster designers use Excel to design their rides (at least TGG and GCI do).

- The turn out of the station on Tornado at Särkänniemi uses square rails. Any idea why?

There're also tires on the train. I'm not sure why, but I think it's for the anti-roll back.

There is a company who made up the concept of an inverted wooden coaster. I'd like to see this idea come to life one day. Here is the Description:

Inverted Wood Coaster

Presenting the first major innovation in wooden coaster design since the early 1900’s: the Inverted Wooden Coaster! With seats suspended directly below the track, riders’ feet dangle as the coaster train careens through the track layout. This provides the classic, rickety feel of a wooden coaster, the feet-dangling freedom of an inverted coaster, and a claustrophobic tunneling feel as the track is surrounded by the dense wooden support structure.

It’s like a wood coaster turned inside out! concept1.jpg.472ccf3334333affe23216b1ea5b42ec.jpg

Here is the website: http://www.gordonrides.com/concepts.html

- Coaster designers use Excel to design their rides (at least TGG and GCI do).

What do they use excel for? Layouts? Do you have any screenshots? I would think AutoCAD or similar would be a much more appropriate tool.

They do use AutoCAD for visualization purposes, but beforehand they use Excel for most of the calculus part.

I don't have any further infos, that's just what Chad Miller (one of the founders of TGG) told me when I asked him what did they use to design coasters. And that has been confirmed by a guy working at GCI (AyTrane, you might know him for his amazing NoLimits creations. And by the way , that's him that design all the GCI presentations in NoLimits. As they can export their real datas, their creations looks very realistic). He said Excel was used a lot in the industry.

If any company could pull if off the inverted wooden coaster, I'd think it would be RMC. Or at least with RMC's topper track. Besides, the restraints are the OTSR/Lap Bar Restraints so I don't think it would feel much like an SLC. If you have no idea what kind of restraints I'm talking about, visit the site and look through the concept art: http://www.gordonrides.com/concepts.html, or look at the restraints on Fun Spot USA's Freedom Flyer. Those are the type of restrraints that would be used on the ride. Ride-wise, I'd like to see a Gold Striker type of coaster with quick directional changes and good forces (correct me if I'm wrong about that as I have never been to CGA).

The tallest non-Intamin roller coaster in the USA is Titan at SFOT.

Giovanola also has a lot to do with Intamin. So 232 is the tallest non-Intamin coaster.

Then I suddenly remembered that B&M used to work at Giovanola...

Right but Giavanola isn't Intamin. So the tallest non-Intamin coaster is Titan.

That is weird.

From what I read, it looks like Big One had a track replacement around the same time as Valhalla was built and the park decided to cheap out and use the old pieces as part of the support structure. Since the track replacement happened in the late 90's, not many people knew about it except for the track pieces used on Valhalla. The big reason of the refurbishment on Valhalla was to replace those old track pieces as they were starting to become a problem.

Edited by Lareson