TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weird Coaster Facts

I wonder why the use this system. Is it because of the sound? I find it quite amusing, actually (and maybe more people do) or is it because of something like wear (do the anti-rollback dogs even get worn out?)

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only speak of Millennium Force, but it was done to make the lift hill as quiet as possible. It helps add to the discomfort many normal people feel being up that high. Sound can be comforting in a way and being in a silent train quickly rising up the hill was designed to scare people.

^Well, well, well, thank you very much for that information; I was always worried about that whenever I got on the Millennium Force. First time I got on and we were being pulled upward towards the top, I was wondering where were the anti-rollback brakes, why we were going up so fast, and praying that the ski lift didn't let go. So if you said was true, then it WORKED on me!

^^Interesting explanation. I personally quite enjoy really loud lifts (like BTR at SFGAdv where you can't hear anything else) but then I don't usually feel sacred on coasters so I wouldn't know if it works or not, but sounds like it may happen.

I wonder why the use this system. Is it because of the sound? I find it quite amusing, actually (and maybe more people do) or is it because of something like wear (do the anti-rollback dogs even get worn out?)

You're correct, it's to make a silent lift ride and to save on wear and tear.

Most B&M immelmanns & dive loops never fully invert riders.

I've also noticed this. They all seem to be slightly inclined, some more than others

That's because you guys are confusing Immelmann Turns with Immelmann Inversions.

No, I meant inversions.

RCDB

Most B&M immelmanns & dive loops never fully invert riders.

I've also noticed this. They all seem to be slightly inclined, some more than others

That's because you guys are confusing Immelmann Turns with Immelmann Inversions.

I meant that they are not fully vertical. Look

getoneshot.jpg.49aadd62f91618f038319d610846900b.jpg

The theoretical capacity of El Toro which is 1,500 people per hour is not actually possible. The most the ride can run at is around 1,300 people an hour because of its blocking. This may be because of the slowed down lift hill which adds another 10 or 20 seconds to each ride cycle.

Most of the coasters at SFGAm are clones.

-Superman

-Batman

-V2

-Demon

-Dark Knight

-Spacely's Sprocket Rockets

-Viper

-Whizzer, even though it's counterpart closed.

I wouldn't consider Batman a clone as it was not a clone when it opened.

-Superman

-Batman

-V2

-Demon

-Dark Knight

-Viper

That's debatable.

That's debatable.

It's not like two original Batman coasters opened in the same year - Great America's opened first, and it wasn't even considered a "Batman model" at the time. Being B&M's first inverted coaster, it was completely custom. Great Adventure's didn't open until a year later, and even Top Gun / Flight Deck opened before that.

-Superman

-Batman

-V2

-Demon

-Dark Knight

-Viper

Besides Wild One, all of the roller coasters at SFA are clones as well.