TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weird Coaster Facts

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crane that was building the vertical spike of Speed: The Ride in Las Vegas collapsed and fell onto Bonzai Bonzai at Wet 'n Wild next door and damaged the lift on the slide used to bring up the yellow sleds. Riders had to carry those sleds to the top of the slide the next season. The season after the slide was replaced with a bowl slide names Dragon's Den.

Luckily it was the off season for Wet 'n Wild and no one was injured.

I hope you'll pardon my being too tired to go dig up the exact video where I saw this, but I once viewed footage from the old, old days of coney Island and there was definitely something there that I did not think could really exist. A rollercoaster that jumps a gap in the track.

Obviously it wasn't a big old train like the ones we have today, and obviously it didn't fit neatly back onto a set of rails, but there was a track, a gap, and a jump from on side to the other.

Oh, hey, how about that, found some info about it on google.

The ride was dubbed the Cannon Coaster when it was built because the designers attempted to have the cars leap over a gap in the tracks. At its apex it entered the breech of a large wooden cannon and as it passed through its bore, it accelerated downward. As it shot out of the cannon's mouth it was supposed to leap a gap in the tracks. They tested the idea with sandbags instead of people, but it didn't work because variations in the passenger's weight or uneven loads sometimes caused crashes. They filled in the gap in this boring ride, but it still drew crowds because stories still circulated of innumerable casualties during its gap-in-the-track test runs. It certainly survived the 1907 Steeplechase fire that burned much of the Bowery.

Gemini is the only coaster at Cedar Point where the operators have to manually park the trains by pumping the brakes as they come into the station. It's a lot of fun! But after I already posted this, it was brought to my attention that Coasterkyle has already said this Whoops.

Edited by smartestcoasterkidever!

Cedar Point used to be the roller coaster capital of the world.

However Cedar Point is still the defunct coaster capital of the world with 15 defunct coasters. That's more defunct coasters than most parks have operating coasters.

In contrast, Canada's Wonderland has never removed a single coaster in its entire lifespan.

However Cedar Point is still the defunct coaster capital of the world with 15 defunct coasters. That's more defunct coasters than most parks have operating coasters.

In contrast, Canada's Wonderland has never removed a single coaster in its entire lifespan.

I think Wiener Prater removed 21 coasters http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ex=2&pk=4926

I think Wiener Prater removed 21 coasters http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ex=2&pk=4926

Weiner might be a unique case, though. I heard that most of the rides there are owned by different operators.

Weiner might be a unique case, though. I heard that most of the rides there are owned by different operators.

Wiener Prater is basically a permanent fair, but I would definitely count it on a "most defunct" coasters list because a lot of Prater's coasters are permanent installations.

If something were to happen to the Ninja's (SFOG) lift motor, the ride would be down for an extended amount of time since the motor is located at the top of the lift. The Ninja is the only coaster in the park with the motor at the top instead of the base of the lift. Really Vekoma? What were you thinking?

^That would make sense IF the Ninja wasnt entirelly built.over water... and there is plenty of room beneath the lift. They could have even put it beside the lift. GASM's lift motor is accessable via the transfer shed as well as directly underneath the lift.

^I thought about both of those reasons as well. I dont think the water would have been an issue if the motor was at the base of the lift because the ride is elevated well above the water level. It may have been DinosaurBeach's idea because it is a custom coaster with no clones (another shock for Vekoma IMO)