TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parks of the Deep South 2006 Photo Update!

Hey everyone!

We've just added a 14 page Photo Update from our insane travels in the deep south:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/south2006/sfog1.htm

While most everyone was in the mid-west over Memorial Day Weekend, we went down to the deep south, where it was a little quieter!

Overall, it was a GREAT trip! Goliath was a lot of fun. Probably my favorite of the B&M hyper coasters. The only thing one that could probably beat it would be a "brakeless" ride on Raging Bull (hasn't run like that since 2001!) While I had heard reports of "ejector" air all over the ride, we didn't find any, but we DID find a lot of strong "floater" air. If you want an example of ejector air, that could be found across the park at Cyclone!

We headed off to Myrtle Beach to visit the Pavilion during it's closing season. We actually quite enjoyed this park. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't anything terrible, which were the reports we had heard. It kind of reminded me of Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The coaster, on the other hand, Hurricane, leaved a LOT to be desired. Wow, what a rough POS! The hills had a lot of airtime, but it was just so rough I was the only one in our group who bothered to take a second ride!

Then we went over to Family Kingdom, home of the Swamp Fox. Wow, what a DUMP this place is! Rivals Williams Grove, Conneaut Lake, and Little A-Merrick-A for some of the worst parks in the US I've been to. The coaster was "ok" but the entire place was like a day at Nara Dreamland. I'd say Family Kingdom is like the US version of "Rotunda." Pretty craptacular place. I wouldn't bother wasting my time to stop there once the Pavilion closes. The Swamp Fox isn't bad, but it's not worth the time, IMO.

We did some random credit whoring, a few stops of Carrabbas, and then we finally made it to Six Flags White Water in Georgia. A really NICE water park, IMO! Had a Tornado slide and a bunch of other cool, somewhat unique slides. Nice setting too. Well worth the visit if you want to do a water park while out visiting SFOG.

So we survived yet another park (Family Kingdom), "black biker week", really liked Goliath a lot, and got to see Joe's man boobs!!!

It was a pretty kick ass time for all.

Anyway, check out the photo update and then post your shocking responses!

Enjoy.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw on RCDB that there was some 'gay dolphin park' in that area. It says the coaster closed down a while ago, but does anyone know if the park still exists?

Anyway, nice photos. Looks like Six Flags makes pretty reasonable water parks, am i correct?

And here I was the whole weekend doing nothing...when the beach is like 1.5-2 hours from me lol...

Jarvis "next time I can give you an indepth look at black bike week!" Morant

^Guy, you suck!

You made me see that picture twice in one day?!?

Ooh, a vague reference! I'm flabbergasted!

That must be the fringe benefit of either:

a. attending the UK Trip,

b. driving you guys around Japan,

c. postwhoring my way to 650+ posts in May,

or

d. it wasn't about me, and I need to quit being so self centered, now shut up Monkey Boy!

Nice Photo TR, as always. However, if y'all don't stop putting up photos like THAT ONE^! I'm going to go blind soon!

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Family Kingdom, I'm not going to say it was the best park ever or anything, but it had a certain charm to it when I was there, and Swamp Fox is a great woodie that I hope sticks around for a long time. Did you guys ride The Great Pistolero Roundup? you guys probably would have liked it as it was about as un-PC as you can get in the states, well outside of Pedroland. Hopefully your comparison to 'Fantazy Land' will draw more people there to see what all the fuss is.

Speaking of Pedroland, did you guys even think to stop here? I would imagine it would be slightly (and by slightly I mean VERY) out of the way for you guys.. but it would have been worth it for the comedic value alone. It just cannot be explained.

Anyway glad to see you FINALLY made it down to Myrtle, and great report overall. We should have a TPR meetup whenever the new Hard Rock Park opens.

I saw on RCDB that there was some 'gay dolphin park' in that area. It says the coaster closed down a while ago, but does anyone know if the park still exists?

If I recall correctly, the only part of the Gay Dolphin that still exists is the massive 3 story shopping area. http://www.gaydolphin.com/

gayd.JPG.e28ca43f1c32403196c8ddfc91f1d723.JPG

Gay Dolphin Gift Cove

Great TR as usual, and some of the funniest photos I've seen on the site. It's too bad that the best park in Myrtle Beach is going to close, but people would rather have a $300,000 home than a quality park.

So I'm sitting in my underroos looking at the Deep South update and come across the pic of Joe and Robb at Whitewater. While I'm trying not to spew some gurgitate my son walks in and stops dead. Then there is a brief silence and I say "Oh that's Robb." His face goes back to normal and he says "Oh, Ok" like it was a pic of puppies playing or something, then he bums some money off me and leaves.

Hate to break it to ya bud but thats "joke" has been around every since the ride open! So in my best soup nazi voice... "no credit for you!"

Jarvis "next time I can give you an indepth look at black bike week!" Morant

Crap! I didn't even think about that! Dude, that would have ROCKED!!!

--Robb

Yeah so next year you guys have to come back down so you can get the 360 of black bike week! And I can show elissa how to shake her "laffy taffy" while dropping it like its hot !

Man, missed you guys by 2 days!! It was a great trip.. in addition to the Goliath credit, I also visited the Robbhorn Leghorn exhibit and got my Acrophobia and Deja-Vu credits! And Neesh unfortunately got a whiplash credit from the Ninja. That ride seriously needs to be relocated to Fantazy Land.

So what day were you at SFOG? We all went on Sunday...would have been great to meet up.......Glad you guys had fun.....

Hey everyone!

So over Memorial Day weekend we were out in Myrtle Beach and Georgia! We've just added a 14 page Photo Update from our insane travels in the deep south:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/south2006/sfog1.htm

We survived yet another ghetto park (Family Kingdom), "black biker week", really liked Goliath a lot, and got to see Joe's man boobs!!!

It was a pretty kick ass time for all.

Anyway, check out the photo update and then post your shocking responses!

Enjoy.

--Robb