2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

^ I can see where people like him but A LOT of his videos gives gays a bad name.

Agreed! I find a lot of people and groups take the word gay and ... well, it's sometimes an embarrassment. I'm coming to terms with it; there is a place and purpose for all that, I just don't understand it fully. At the end of the day I don't have to understand it, but at the same time I don't have to be a part of it. There are reasons for the "acting-out" of our brethren in all it's forms; comes with the territory.

I figure I can represent myself with the word Gay how I like. So I do now It doesn't have to be about my body, my sexual preferences or gossip. It can be about coasters and a simple healthy sense of what I consider pride/self-acceptance. "Hey, we're everywhere... don't panic... no big deal." I have a thing for re-appropriating words.

^ I can see where people like him but A LOT of his videos gives gays a bad name.

Agreed! I find a lot of people and groups take the word gay and ... well, it's sometimes an embarrassment. I'm coming to terms with it; there is a place and purpose for all that, I just don't understand it fully. At the end of the day I don't have to understand it, but at the same time I don't have to be a part of it. There are reasons for the "acting-out" of our brethren in all it's forms; comes with the territory.

I figure I can represent myself with the word Gay how I like. So I do now It doesn't have to be about my body, my sexual preferences or gossip. It can be about coasters and a simple healthy sense of what I consider pride/self-acceptance. "Hey, we're everywhere... don't panic... no big deal." I have a thing for re-appropriating words.

You nailed it. I could not agree more.

^I guess it has to be entertaining! I love South Park, and it has every kind of inappropriate. The thing that bothers me is that people are starting to act/talk like that in real life, to real people.

I know! I watch Family Guy all the time, and it's really inappropriate. I guess I find bad things funny

Has anyone here ever changed someone's opinions on homosexuality? I came out to one of my friends a while ago, who is straight, and he said he was okay with it, but he seemed a little uncomfortable because he was straight. A few days ago he thanked me for coming out and he completely looks at gays differently. He told me he used to believe in stereotypes and all but now that I came out he doesn't. Yay Has anyone else ever changed anyone's opinions on it?

I think we do change peoples opinions on a daily basis without knowing it.

By being out (not SCREAMING IN YOUR FACE OUT, but just "out") and going about your life like anyone else - people who have those crazy pre-conceived notions of what gay people are like see that we are pretty much like other people.

I know being from Georgia and being in Central Florida now - I meet people daily who have little to no experience with gay people. Just being a decent human being can work wonders for any type of people

I'm not that way either haha! The friend I told knew me for two years and he was extremely surprised when I told him. It was the fact that I didn't fit his mental stereotype of gays that surprised him He told me he did not expect me to be gay since I'm not all "in-your-face" about it.

Sometimes we don't really know how much we touch people's lives.

I came out to my family many, many years ago. I think because of that, and because my relationship with my brothers and the rest of my family, when my niece came out as gay, she felt safe and loved and came out to me first, as I had sort of paved the way. It was no big deal...well, not the first time. When HE came out as trans-gendered, that was a little harder. But, because my family was already practicing unconditional love, it quickly became a non-issue. My cousin also has a trans-gender offspring, and called me for advise not long ago. These things just make me remember that by living your life honestly and openly, you do change the people around you. You just can't help it.

^Heart warming thanks for sharing that. Every little bit of "good" or "love" does get to someone. (Now I'm thinking of that scene in Donnie Darko where the teacher is demanding that Donnie choose if the situation is Love or Fear hehehe.)

On a side note, just saw this on facebook and had to share it:

10152487_10151999257211863_8347908435723185543_n.jpg

Marge: Homer, didn't John seem a little "festive" to you?

Homer: Couldn't agree more, happy as a clam.

Marge: He prefers the company of men!

Add a notch to the gay column. I am. I also love classic American 60's muscle cars. And bad movies, and 80's music. And the humor you can find on this site. Peace.

And bad movies, and 80's music.

You're in good company I was watching "Girls will be girls" last night.

Also on Netflix instant, this movie that takes place at Cedar Point (Crystal Waters) in 1984. It's a coming out story, go figure! It's so strange, they nailed the feeling of working at Cedar Point and all the strange and fun stuff that goes on there. I worked at the park 1991-93 (had my first boyfriend there!). The movie was filmed after Raptor was built (you can see it in a distant shot), but they really got the 80s feel down. Including the quality of film they used to make the movie. Strange but great stuff!

Here's the trailer:

Will def check out Edge of Seventeen. Off-beat movies are great.

Are there any John Waters fans in the room?

*crickets chirping*

Usually I stand alone on that. His '70s films are some of my all-time favorites. I don't recommend them often because they require a twisted sense of humor to appreciate. If interested, and if you like off-beat humor, check out --> Desperate Living (1977) or Female Trouble (1974).

tumblr_m982o7xacB1rsvesqo1_500.jpg.0cc1e83a060adf7082dc677d7a51508a.jpg