2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

^^The first person I actually came out to was one of my roommates freshman year of college (about three years ago). I had three roommates (crammed into an 11 x 18 foot room, but that's for a different discussion), two of which I was really unsure of when it came to the whole 'gay friendly' thing. I became extremely good friends with the other, Craig, and came out to him early on since I just needed someone to talk to about it and figured someone I'm such new friends with is as good a place as any to start. After that I slowly came out to other people I was close with, but not everyone because I was still unsure about the other two. Eventually I stopped really caring how they, or anyone else for that matter, would take it and told them. It took them some getting used to. Not because they had a problem with it, but they just weren't the types of guys that had been exposed to gays pretty much at all. Neither had any gay friends or really knew anyone that was gay that was a part of their lives. In the end everything was fine though as I had already formed a bond with them over common interests (well, more common INTEREST, cars, since they're both automotive design majors) and everything worked out. I'd suggest testing the waters to see how he is when it comes to gays before telling him just to not cause any unwanted issues. Generally most people these days that are that age are pretty accepting from what I've seen, so I wouldn't be overly worried about it, but when you're first coming out to people you don't know it's smart to know what to expect.

^But isn't the age of consent like 14 in Germany? It's 17 where I live however it changes from state to state in the U.S., but no lower than 16. That kinda gives you a little more 'freedom.'

Back in my youth the age of consent for male (!) homosexual contacts was 18, for straight contacts it was 16 and lesbians weren´t mentioned at all. But in the 90s it was lowered to 16 and a few years ago the "special" age of consent was dropped. Now it´s 16 years for everyone now matter of the orientation.

@cprocks22:

I would wait a little bit to find out how comfortable your roommate is with homosexuality in general.

And wouldn´t come out to him without some supporting friends, just for the case he isn´t ok with it. It´s nice to have a shoulder were you can lean on if all goes wrong.

I'm gay but I still occasionally become emotionally attached to girls, which is why I had 2 or 3 girlfriends before I came out. But I can get very attached to people generally, regardless of gender, so its probably nothing to do with my sexuality. Guys are still top of my list, they really are great

Just recently I accepted myself as gay, but then everything got complicated... I now have a crush on my best friend since toddler years (female). This is so confusing and hard

Well you´re "just" 14 years old, in this age it´s normal to be confused about your sexuality and everything else.

That´s the miracle of puberty.

Don´t think about straight, bi, gay etc. and just live your life.

A lot of gay people were in straight relationships at one point or another, so that´s nothing unusual.

I refer to "Death Rock" as kind of the Hard Core goth music I liked in the early 90's when I was a go-go dancer at "Club Fetish."

I guess that I always affiliated death rock in the same genre as death metal. Back in the 80's and early 90's, me and my friends used to listen to Venom, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse and the likes and I just preferred calling it death rock versus death metal. I also liked Paradise Lost, which was what I guess you could call hard core goth metal? Then you throw in all of the thrash metal bands from the Bay area in the 80's (Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, Forbidden, Vio-lence, etc)...God, I was (and still am) such a weird queer!

Can't say that I listen to any of that stuff anymore as my tastes have significantly changed. I still have a lot of my old cassette tapes of all these types of bands, but they are in my basement in storage. Now that I have gotten older, my tastes have mellowed dramatically! Not sure if my BF could handle me with long hair and wearing a denim jacket with a Venom back patch, but I still can't bring myself to like showtunes and Broadway either!

Edit - I just realized that this post was my # 666...is that weird, or what? Perhaps I should go break out that Deicide cassette tape with a bottle of Jack Daniels and rock out?

My list of bands are more Hard Rock/Heavy Metal (and lots of Hair Bands too... Def Leppard, Kix... oh and love me some Dokken too...) than "Death" Metal... like Testament, Warrior Soul which gave way to the "Seattle" grunge bands (early Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc)... more recently "Alternative" rock gets me through my drive to work (and day in general)...as Philrad71 mentioned, as I'm getting older my taste in music has mellowed out quite a bit... Never cared for the stereo-typical "Gay" music...

I find a lot of great new music and generally lesser known music from "New Now Next" (not "Pop Lab" as there are two versions of the show) on the Logo cable network... check it out if you haven't yet done so... some episodes are better than others, but there are A LOT of great bands being showcased there...

As I've gotten older my tastes have changed as well. I still like to rock out and scare the neighbors on occasion, but I listen to alot more variety these days. Heck - my guilty pleasure this summer is freaking Ke$ha. Everything inside of me screams that I should hate this dreck, but I just can't help myself. Crazy.

BTW - 1000th post. Wanted it to be in this thread, because I'm a dork that way.

Hmm... i always liked good Synthpop like Depeche Mode, Erasure, Yazoo, Human League etc. on the other hand i adore hard EBM and Industrial like "Institute for the criminaly insane" (sickest Coverversion of Mussolini EVER), Klutae, Klinik, Psychopoomps, Tommi Stumpff and so on...

Am i a hidden bisexual?

@Jynx242: According to your name i would have guessed, that you like at least one EBM-Band

^^I know exactly what you mean when it comes to Ke$ha. I can't stand her, her 'style,' or even a lot of her music. It annoys me, but I find myself dancing and singing along to it whenever I hear it. It annoys me that I enjoy it so, but I've gotten over that and just enjoy the lyrical genius that came up with "I like your beard" at the end of one of her songs

Hmm... i always liked good Synthpop like Depeche Mode, Erasure, Yazoo, Human League etc. on the other hand i adore hard EBM and Industrial like "Institute for the criminaly insane" (sickest Coverversion of Mussolini EVER), Klutae, Klinik, Psychopoomps, Tommi Stumpff and so on...

Am i a hidden bisexual?

@Jynx242: According to your name i would have guessed, that you like at least one EBM-Band

Yes - There are a couple Just remembered the first time I got my nose pierced was during Ministry at Lolapalooza something... I went to several. I used to listen to a lot of Front 242, hence the screen name. Did you ever listen to Pansy Division? Queercore was awesome in it's day. Then you could be "the gay" and still listen to hard core music.

I still ADORE synth-pop. Erasure and Pet Shop Boys are two of my favorites. Also love Dead or Alive - total 80's bubble gum pop.

^ jmicha - I'm totally the same way. I drive a convertible, and probably look like a complete douc#ebag whilst dancing around and singing freaking Ke$ha songs, but I can't help it. Hell, I'm a recovering alcoholic and her music is ALL about getting drunk, but I still listen and sing along. It's like musical crack or something.

^

You, sir, are awesome.

Don't you come back down to my neck of the woods this fall? If so, we've totally got to get together for coffee or something. We can tourist watch here in the Historic District of Savannah and have a good laugh.

^Indeed I do. Towards the end of September through early December. And that sounds great. Tourist watching is fun no matter where you are lol. But it would be great to have someone to go to parks with since as far as I know currently, I'm going to be living alone so I won't know anyone in the city.

[Did you ever listen to Pansy Division? Queercore was awesome in it's day. Then you could be "the gay" and still listen to hard core music.

In europe it really doesn´t matter for most people in the EBM/Industrial-scene.

With PlasticNoiseExperience/Gaytron and Leaetherstrip/Klutae there are at least two openly gay musicians and i know two other DJs that are gay/bisexual/lesbian.

I will check out Pansy Division later, never heard of them before..

I just registered for classes for my first semester of college, and while five of my six classes all revolve around Civil Engineering / Gemstone Program, the last one is an honors seminar/discussion section called Exploring Homophobia. From what I've read, it's part anthropology, part psychology, part literature, part film, and part plenty of other topics and things too, all wrapped around a central discussion of the irrational fear of homosexuality and the culture associated with it.

I'm excited!

^

You, sir, are awesome.

Don't you come back down to my neck of the woods this fall? If so, we've totally got to get together for coffee or something. We can tourist watch here in the Historic District of Savannah and have a good laugh.

People watching in Savannah? I'm sure that would be a good laugh. I wanna go to Savannah to eat at Paula Dean's restaurant. How far is Savannah from the Atlanta area?

^

You, sir, are awesome.

People watching in Savannah? I'm sure that would be a good laugh. I wanna go to Savannah to eat at Paula Dean's restaurant. How far is Savannah from the Atlanta area?

Savannah is about 4 hours south of Atlanta. Paula Dean is a hoot! She is hilarious and really nice. You will eat your weight in fried chicken when you go to her place.

^That's another place I never got to and wanted to when I was down there last quarter. That and the Crab Shack on the way out to Tybee Island. I checked it out but my roommate had already left for Europe so I wasn't about to eat alone. That's just sad...lol.

^ Going to the Crab Shack with friends next weekend (this weekend is Coaster Stock so we're making the 3 1/2 hour drive to Charlotte!!)

Keeping this on topic - still gay here. Just watched the most awesome B movie, though; called Zombie strippers! Jenna Jamison is in it and I think she is just awesome. Do I lose "gay points" for that?

Anywho - I have my partner and two other gay friends living in my house, and a dear friend who we refer to as our Token Straight Guy.

David