2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

Hi Guys,

Interesting topic,

I am a gay guy but have kept my distance from TPR as I figured it was predominantly straight and didnt think my veiws would be that welcome.

On the contrare!

I love TPR. Everyone here is quite friendly. Yea, it is prodominately straight, but this is one of the FEW types of social groups where it's so open. (Let's face it, most of us queens have worked in theme parks or tourism industries.) Just stick to the topics, and you'll make great friends, even if they are only virtual. I don't think I've ever had a problem here, and thats in part to all the hard work R&E and the mods do. They keep it nice and fun for everyone.

Other web sites on the other hand....

I'm applying for a job this year at my local park and I'm actually kinda worried about them finding out I'm a lesbian. Not sure about if theres other gay people working there or how tolerant the staff and employers are... Well being single at hte moment (and kinda loving it too) I don't think they'll find out.

I'll be fine as long as I don't go around chasing girls on the job!

Don't worry about that, I plan to stay single for awhile before I start looking again or even think about looking.

....I don't think they'll find out.

....I'll be fine as long as I don't go around chasing girls on the job! ....

i don´t understand your problem!

just don´t act like a battle lesbian, don´t provocate with your sexual orientation and you will do fine.

the way you life out your sexuality should be strictly private (!!!!!!!!!) so nobody can sue you for your behavior. there´s a gay chef and a lesbian bartender and a lesbian waitress working for me at my restaurant, they do their jobs great, they don´t harass guests or co-workers with their sexual orientation, so why should anybody condemn them?!

so, if i can tell you just one thing:

NEVER mix your job and your private life!!!!!

just don´t act like a battle lesbian

"Battle Lesbian"?

Terry

in german, you call a lesbian who tries to provoke with her sexual orientation, who makes clear that she only loves women by behaving like a macho a "kampf-lesbe". translated word-by-word it´s a battle lesbian.

sorry, don´t know how you call it in english .

gerd

Well, Vancouver is a pretty open-minded city, with a large homosexual population. Vancouver has one of the biggest Pride in North America.

You shouldn't really be worried. I live between Montreal and Vancouver (have family there), and never had any real problem there.

But again, if you let your private life be private, there souldn't be any problem.

Guess I'll go with the "Don't ask don't tell" way then.

No! Don't hide who you are to satisfy others! Be yourself- if they can't accept you for the person that you are then why would you want to be around them? I'm gay, personally and if my friends didn't accept me for the way I am then I wouldn't be friends with them. Don't ask, don't tell should be called "Hide your feelings and who you are so society doesn't have to feel upset. "

If they get upset, let them be upset because you know you're the bigger person! Be free

Be yourself- if they can't accept you for the person that you are then why would you want to be around them?

I agree. I've had three jobs in the past two years, and everybody, including the management, knew I was gay and never had any problems with it. In fact, in my last two positions, I was (probably prematurely) promoted to assistant manager positons! I've been an assistant manager for AMC Entertainment and now, Urban Outfitters. And this is in Indiana, which just BARELY struck down an amendment to ban gay marriage. While I'm not too familiar with the British Columbia area itself, I'm sure you could be out at a job in most all areas of Canada.

I think the point should be at work "Keep it professional". It's not about hiding who you are, but keeping the tone to the business at hand. Save the really personal stuff for after hours. Not everyone wants to know your business, whether it's a straight man's conquests, a failed romance, someone's religious or political views, trouble at home, or the fact you have a crush on someone in the workplace (which is a big no-no anyway). Besides, many people in your workplace aren't really your friend and will just collect info to use against you. Be careful what you dish out. A lot of people learn that the hard way.

That's what you really want to keep in mind. Do your job, keep the conversation light and drama-free, and collect the check. You'll have a better working environment and career that way.

Terry

I agree with Terry. While it's true that you don't want to hide who you are for others, being a lesbian isn't really an important aspect as far as who you are. If it were to ever come up in the workplace, then sure, be open. But it's not like it's something you need to make a point of bringing up.

^^Well put.

I'm straight, but I still go by a sense of the "don't ask, don't tell". Not in the way it is typically thought of, but more along the lines of "that kind of stuff really has no relevance at work. I'm not going to start talking about it, and I hope you have the decency to not ask." I realize the connotations associated with the "don't ask, don't tell" practice, especially given the way some organizations utilize it, but I think it serves as a decent rule of thumb for any of that kind of stuff, gay or straight (as long as it's taken for what it actually says). I promise, I'm not trying to offend anyone by using that phrase; I just can't think of a more concise summary of how I (and most others I know) act at work.

Besides, many people in your workplace aren't really your friend and will just collect info to use against you. Be careful what you dish out. A lot of people learn that the hard way.

That's what you really want to keep in mind. Do your job, keep the conversation light and drama-free, and collect the check. You'll have a better working environment and career that way.

Terry

That´s what i meant with "never mix work and private life!".