2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

^Pretty much beat me to it.

^^While I wouldn't be surprised if it's legal all over the country in twenty years, but your theory is poor. There will always be a people who are against interracial marriage because they are stupid and prejudice. While there will likely be people who are against gay marriage for those same reasons, the majority is going to be against it because religion tells them it is wrong. So I highly doubt we'll ever see a nation that is OK with it because they realized "they are wrong." There is always going to be a large percentage that is opposed.

I'm gay and I'm sooooooo not into gay marriage. Marriage is between a man and a girl PERIOD. man&man or girl&girl thats a couple, and as couple they should have rights and responsibilities, but in my simple opinion thats shouldn't be called a marriage. But thats only my point of view.

^I'm guessing it has to do with religion, no?

While I am glad that it is officially called "marriage" now in California, I personally wouldn't have cared if the entire United States allowed only Civil Unions for homosexuals, as long as they had the same rights as heterosexuals. "Marriage" is just a title really.

I'm a guy who likes guys. I have a bunch of friends that knew before I told them. I guess it's obvious. But within the last few weeks of school I told the wrong person and word spread like wildfire about it, but i didn't care because I was graduating.

I've told my parents but they're in denial, always telling me to date my girl friends, which then I yell at them and walk away. Or they try and tell me I'm absolutely, positively, going to get AID's and die a horrible death. I'm not really sure when they'll accept it. Maybe I should bring a boyfriend home...

^Same here with the girlfriends part. And I can't sleep at their houses. If I want to sleep at a guy's house, than my mom thinks that I won't be sleeping much. If I want to sleep at a girl's house, I'm just telling her that I'm gay so that she'll let me around more girls.

I'm trying to figure out whether she believes me or not...I've come out to her twice. Suppose it's time for a third...

^My mom thinks all my guy friends are gay or bi. I'm actually going to the movies with one of my straight friends here in half an hour. It gets really annoying because she always asks for their orientation ... sometimes right in front of them! I feel bad for them lol.

And I may spend the night at a straight friends house this week. She trusts me and all, but it gets really annoying when she thinks everyone of my friends are not straight. Well, pretty much everyone at my school isn't straight, but some are

Yea, my mom doesn't let me stay anywhere. she thinks I'm either going to do something with them or sneak out and go party, which is never a bad idea. I told my mom that she's just going to have to get used to it, or our relationship is going to deteriorate extremely quick, which it actually has been lately.

My mom called me disgusting & a disappointment when she found out what i did with a friend, (but that's a different story) so i got really upset and left. My mom is one of those religious freaks that tells me about how the bible says it's wrong and all this other crap. I mean, if god created everyone, is there really anything wrong with being gay? It's not like all gay people wake up and say to themselves, "hey, i wanna turn gay today."

Yeah, but they don't realize that. What personal experience do they have to really be able to believe that you don't just decide it like that? Granted, they don't have any personal experience to believe that you do...

But whatever. Megan had her head resting on my shoulder in the car. My mother probably thinks I'm getting lucky sometime soon. She'll get over it eventually...maybe...

I'm a guy who likes guys. I have a bunch of friends that knew before I told them. I guess it's obvious. But within the last few weeks of school I told the wrong person and word spread like wildfire about it, but i didn't care because I was graduating.

I've told my parents but they're in denial, always telling me to date my girl friends, which then I yell at them and walk away. Or they try and tell me I'm absolutely, positively, going to get AID's and die a horrible death. I'm not really sure when they'll accept it. Maybe I should bring a boyfriend home...

I am 18 and had the same problem at 17. My parents are so against me being gay but lok at it this way. Give her some time. She will come around eventually. It took my mom a year b4 I could introduce her to my boyfriend at the time.

My mom called me disgusting & a disappointment when she found out what i did with a friend, (but that's a different story) so i got really upset and left. My mom is one of those religious freaks that tells me about how the bible says it's wrong and all this other crap. I mean, if god created everyone, is there really anything wrong with being gay? It's not like all gay people wake up and say to themselves, "hey, i wanna turn gay today."

Sorry to hear that your mom reacted the way she did.

I've known a few gay people who came out when they were still in high school to their parents and it ended up disastrously. Either getting kicked out, disowned, or whatever. I was always so afraid of my parents reacting negatively to my sexuality, so I never came out to them. I don't think I will either, until I'm completely financially dependent and I am in a serious committed relationship. At least then, they'll see that homosexuality isn't just a 'phase' for me. I'm not sure if I should tell the sooner since I hate making excuses for why I don't have a girlfriend, but at the same time, it is a little nerve racking to tell a secret you've been hiding all your life.

I can't believe the way some parents act towards their kids coming out. When I told my mom, she hugged me, and later on left me a 5 page letter saying how it's okay and how she's sure it's hereditary (It pops up throughout my family line). She no longer questions why so many of my friends are girls, and doesn't give it a second thought about me staying over at their houses. Most of my guy friends are straight, and even the ones that aren't, she doesn't worry about me hanging out with. I think it's because it's easier to see a gay guy with another gay guy than a straight guy with a girl, it comes off as less suspicious.

While I am glad that it is officially called "marriage" now in California, I personally wouldn't have cared if the entire United States allowed only Civil Unions for homosexuals, as long as they had the same rights as heterosexuals. "Marriage" is just a title really.

That isn’t good enough...I'm offended by how the states wants to segregate the gay and straight people, its no different from when we segregated whites and blacks...its freaking archaic!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are differences between a marriage and civil union (at least in NJ) and since there aren’t many cases where the civil union is put into question in court...we wont hear about these until they do.

That isn’t good enough...I'm offended by how the states wants to segregate the gay and straight people, its no different from when we segregated whites and blacks...its freaking archaic!!!

I both agree and disagree. I feel like it should be called marriage, and should have been since there were man/woman marriages. There have always been gay people, it's never been wrong, and therefore marriage should have always been allowed for same sex couples. Some religions say it's wrong, and that's only because the people who started those religions at the time, believed it was wrong. Marriage should be for anyone, but if the majority of society has a hard time getting that, whatever, at least give us something with the same rights as a marriage.

I guess I pretty much just agree with you.

^I think you are too

I believe the term "marriage" should be coined universally.

Religion shouldn't have anything to do with it...I'm agnosic and my b/f is Catholic....if we decide on marring...then would he call it a marriage and I call it a domestic partnership/civil union??!!!

Urg, my head is hurting on this...I think I'm going back to "Themeparks, Rollercoasters, & Donkeys".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are differences between a marriage and civil union (at least in NJ) and since there aren’t many cases where the civil union is put into question in court...we wont hear about these until they do.

I'm pretty sure the rights between Civil Unions and marriages are the same, otherwise, what would be the point in even creating civil unions if homosexuals wouldn't benefit from it?

That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? Gay people today are recognized and accepted (socially), more so than any other time period in history. Although pro-gay marriage activists mean well, they just demand so much, so soon, that it isn't realistic. While California is ready to acknowledge gay marriage, a state that is not as socially liberal may not be... but will in due time. Just like the Civil Rights movement back in the 60s, the laws didn't just change overnight. I don't look at civil unions as way of segregating gay and straight people, but rather, as a progressive step towards legalizing gay marriage.

I'm pretty sure the rights between Civil Unions and marriages are the same, otherwise, what would be the point in even creating civil unions if homosexuals wouldn't benefit from it?

Last I heard, Civil Unions actually do offer less rights than a marriage.

Sorry to hear that your mom reacted the way she did.

I've known a few gay people who came out when they were still in high school to their parents and it ended up disastrously. Either getting kicked out, disowned, or whatever. I was always so afraid of my parents reacting negatively to my sexuality, so I never came out to them. I don't think I will either, until I'm completely financially dependent and I am in a serious committed relationship. At least then, they'll see that homosexuality isn't just a 'phase' for me. I'm not sure if I should tell the sooner since I hate making excuses for why I don't have a girlfriend, but at the same time, it is a little nerve racking to tell a secret you've been hiding all your life.

Wow, I don't know why I did it, but I came out to my parents in 8th grade. It was probably the worst desicion of my life, I probably should have waited like Bucket here. Ever since, my parents have been acting all overprotective with me. My parents need to know who I'm with and if I'm going to do some project at someone's house for school, they have to meet the person at home. And now comes the time in my "Rich-Catholic School" life to get a car I guess. My sister goes out to wherever the hell she wants. She'd say she's going to a party, my parents ask her what time she'll be home, she goes "Um, one-ish" ... she'd probably get home at three. She gets yelled at about it or something but then she'd just do it again, and it came to the point where my parents are like "She's not going to change".

When she got her car, it was a surprise, she didn't know about it and me and my dad got home with it and told her that her friend was outside, She was about to crap her pants.Me on the other hand... I have to save up for my down-payment.

But its not like my parents hate me for my orientation. I would say I'm the favorite, I respect my parents and I don't do really bad things. my brother and sister don't understand the word "No"

The only thing that makes me happy is that I don't have to give an excuse to my parents about not having a girlfriend. They never even ask me about it.

well my mom doesn't really treat me different. she just is always trying to tell me it's a phase and since i was picked on during school, she also blames that. I try and tell her i'm not going to change, but she won't accept it.

When my mom yelled at me and called me disgusting, i was thinking about suicide, but i figured since i have my friends to support me that I could get through it and it would eventually blow over.

^My parents don't want to accept it for anything in the world.

They've been making me see a therapist since like a month after I came out to them, the last time I saw him was yesterday, Not kidding. My siblings don't know anything.

I sometimes feel like I just wanna get out of the house, just leave, like I can't take it anymore. I long for the day that I finally move away.