2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

Hey Elissa, have a look at the stats now...there are 3 lesbians!!!

Guy who likes guys, and pretty proud of it (I am even going on a calander for the local youth drop in center next year, cant wait to see it!!!)

I am thinking that will be a hard one to explain to the parents if they see that one though...I aint out to them cause I never get to see them being at a boarding school and all. (but it is all guys, so I can have some fun with my school life!)

^Agreed. I hate people who flaunt it, like it's part of their introduction. "Hi, my name is Rock, I'm gay." :shock:

While introducing yourself and coming out right off the bat is a kind of awkward social initiation, I can understand where people come from with that. I HATE it when people assume one thing and you have to address their false assumption. It is simply to avoid further embarssment of both "parties."

It is simply to avoid further embarssment of both "parties."

Yeah, that's something I have to do regularly. just to make sure people are aware, or do not assume something about me that may be incorrect. a lot of people admire my openness and ability to talk about transitioning freely.

But that's not the point that has been mentioned. For the most part if it's important or necessary for the other party(ies) to know that you are gay, lesbian, TS then that is fair enough. I think the point Bicoastal and Bocakey were making is that quite a lot (at least in my experience, not all will do obviously ) of gay people make a huge point about the fact they are gay, like it is somehow inherently cooler that they are gay and that it is some kind of status symbol.

Overall, a straight person would very rarely, perhaps never mention that they are straight, it doesn't even occur to them that it's important to mention it. It should be that way for gay people too. It's NOT important that you are gay, you are just a person, the same as everyone else.

The only time you should feel the need to express that you are gay, bi, lesbian etc. is if it would affect other people in some way, (E.G. you fancy them, they are family etc.). In most cases it makes no difference whatsoever whether you are straight, gay, lesbian, TS. You are a person. if some people can't handle that then that is THEIR problem, not yours.

Poem by Pat Parker, entitled:

"For Straight Folks Who Don't Mind Gays, But Wish They Weren't So Blatant"

You know, some people got a lot of nerve

Sometimes I don't believe the things I see and hear.

Have you met the woman who is shocked by two women kissing,

And in the same breath, tells you that she's pregnant?

But gays shouldn't be blatant...

Or the straight couple that sits next to you at a movie

And you can't hear the dialogue cause of the 'sound effects'.

And the woman in your office

Spends your whole lunch hour

Talking about her new bikini drawers

And how much her husband likes them.

Or the hip chick in your class

Rattling a mile a minute

(While you're trying to get stoned in the john)

About the camping trip she took with her musician boyfriend.

You go in a public bathroom

And all over the walls, there's

John Loves Mary

Janet Digs Richard

Pepe loves Delores, etc.

Or you go to an amusement park

And there's a Tunnel of Love

And pictures of straights painted on the front

And grinning couples coming in and out.

But gays shouldn't be blatant.

Fact is - blatant heterosexuals are all over the place -

Supermarkets

Movies

At work In church

In books On television

Every day and night

Everyplace. Even, in gay bars.

And they want gay men and women to go hide in the closet.

So to you straight folks, I say

Sure - I'll go - If you go, too.

But I'm polite - So, after you....

-----------------------------------------------------------

Peace all.

Pucechan wrote:

The only time you should feel the need to express that you are gay, bi, lesbian etc. is if it would affect other people in some way, (E.G. you fancy them, they are family etc.). In most cases it makes no difference whatsoever whether you are straight, gay, lesbian, TS. You are a person. if some people can't handle that then that is THEIR problem, not yours.

I agree and I don't. I also don't like it when gay people become outrageous with their sexuality. However, there is a huge double standard here: when a gay man or woman makes any remarks about the same sex, he or she is said to be "flaunting their sexuality". Whereas, you can go anywhere and see a straight couple holding hands or kissing, and no one says they're "flaunting" anything. Ya know what I mean?

^Please define "outrageous with their sexuality?"

Are men hugging, outrageous?

Are women kissing each other, outrageous?

Are trannies walking hand in hand down a street, outrageous?

Or have I got the combos wrong?

Or is it all to do with something that's done with the wrist and a type of speech patter/n?

Thought I'd just ask.

Edited by Nrthwnd

i agree with pucechan, to me it makes no diffrence, and really, why do i need to know, unless they are part of my family, or are plannig something that won't happen

i just accept people for who they are, what they do with thier life is up to them, and not me

Chris "glad I lived near S.F." P.

I think the point Bicoastal and Bocakey were making is that quite a lot (at least in my experience, not all will do obviously ) of gay people make a huge point about the fact they are gay, like it is somehow inherently cooler that they are gay and that it is some kind of status symbol.

Exactly. The problem a lot of people I've talked to isn't when homosexuals are open, but when they are forceful about it. Saying your gay is one thing, shoving it in people's face is another.

^

So it's really a mix of three things that make us all interesting and entertaining to and for each other, here at TPR:

Personality

Sexual orientation

and COASTERS!

Can't wait for the next decade and hear what everybody's not sure about with who, LOL.

Rock'n'Roll on, everybody!

(IMO)

not likely, but why should it?

Just me. I've been online since 1992, and I've seen this same thread time after time on a hundred different genres of forum over the years, it's almost to the point of irritation. (No, not that kind that itches with pustule discharge... LOL) It's just old hat for me I guess. You always get the "I'm curious to see who's gay" thread, but it always turns out to be "I'm curious to see who makes the moronic statements".

I'm just glad nobody's misquoted the Bible yet, but that's a whole other monster that I'm sure R&E wouldn't allow, it always gets very heated. LOL

(Yes, I actually have the Bible on my PC and do church on Sundays! You can pick up your jaws off the floor now. LOL)

well, this has stayed a pretty calm discussion by keeping religion out of it. I prefer topics where religion or politics aren't discussed.

We had a thread similar to this on the sfne forums and it just got out of control because religion and politics was brought in.

Craiggers "another reason why I stopped posting there...too many pre-teens that can't stand the fact when someone doesn't agree with them" K.

the fad at the tech school i go to seems to still be black, although the ones in black still freak at the sight of my Pentagram necklace

(Note: non-satanist, eat your religious forthcomings on that, at least it isnt an INVERTED pentagram ($5 in play cash to whoever figures out what that means...))

^Isn't an inverted pentagram supposed to be a sign of demonicism and evil, while a regular pentagram represents things of safety and well-being, and such?

I think I may be a little off.

Actually, you are exactly right, an inverted pentagram is one of the signs of satanism, while an upright pentagram is used to represent wholeness & safety

glad to see we have some people who know their stuff but i think i'll end the highjacking here

^Isn't an inverted pentagram supposed to be a sign of demonicism and evil, while a regular pentagram represents things of safety and well-being, and such?

I think I may be a little off.

Actually, you are exactly right, an inverted pentagram is one of the signs of satanism, while an upright pentagram is used to represent wholeness & safety

glad to see we have some people who know their stuff but i think i'll end the highjacking here

I'd say that's pretty common knowledge...assuming one doesn't live in a cardboard box.